Driver's and passenger's window rattles

Good evening.

Finally spring is here and the ambient temp during daytime is from 13 to 21 Celsius. But both spring and warm weather makes my front windows to rattle when they are totally closed. If i touch the button and bring them down for 1mm only, the annoying cracking and rattling sounds stops. The sound (crack crack crack and some times ttak ttak ttak) appears only when the front windows are totally closed and even when the car is parked.

If my front windows are closed and the car is parked and if i touch and push upwards the door's horizontal panel (between the sealing rubbers) then the cracking and rattling appears multiplied by many times. If i open my windows then nothing happens. No weird sounds. Windows' glasses are fine and they are not moving front and back inside their channel and they are working fine.

I'm going slightly mad. The car is eight months old and counts 13.238 Km on clock. I really don't know what to do. I've already cleaned the channels and even sprayed the top channel with silicon oil but no improvement occurred. Any help, opinion, advise, information will be well accepted.

Thanks for your time.

Are you sure regarding the source of the noise?

In my Roomster (and actually my former Fabia)sometimes I hear irritating knocking doors. It seesm to me that after the door is locked, there is a space between the ring installed on pilar B and the lock tab. Excessive flexibility of the car's frame causes annoying noise of chatter while driving, especially at the start stop or when driving slowly on dilapidated road. I found out that applying grease on the ring and the lock, has mitigated this issue.

Edited by menir1
  • Like 1

Are you sure regarding the source of the noise?

In my Roomster (and actually my former Fabia)sometimes I hear irritating knocking doors. 1 It seesm to me that after the door is locked, there is a space between the ring installed on pilar B and the lock tab. 2 Excessive flexibility of the car's frame causes annoying noise of chatter while driving, especially at the start stop or when driving slowly on dilapidated road. I found out that applying grease on the ring and the lock, has mitigated this issue.

Unfortunately i am absolutely sure, because if i open the window for less than one millimeter the cracking sound stops. 1 I already applied grease and covered the front side of the ring at b pillar with contact tape, see this is my third Skoda since 2002 (former Octavia MK1 and Fabia MK1 owner) and I 'm keen on sounds from doors and frame but this is something I 've never had before, but there is no difference.

2 Yes that is the critical time for cracking noise to appear but also appears when the car is stopped and parked. In that time and having the door closed and myself sitting on passenger's seat i push upwards with my finger the upper horizontal side of the door panel and the sound appears again, then i do open my window for less than a millimeter (poetic license) and the sound just go away no matter how hard i push upwards the door.

Any other ideas please?

Edited by stratosg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a solution which your main dealer will know about, or possibly a Seat dealer. We had the same problems on our Seat Alhambra, sometimes a rattle, sometimes an annoying squeak on the back windows. It is a plastic tape made for VAG by 3M which is stuck down each side of the window which combined with the adjustment of the window runners did the trick.

There is a solution which your main dealer will know about, or possibly a Seat dealer. We had the same problems on our Seat Alhambra, sometimes a rattle, sometimes an annoying squeak on the back windows. It is a plastic tape made for VAG by 3M which is stuck down each side of the window which combined with the adjustment of the window runners did the trick.

No, my dealer knew nothing about it, so i'm going to ask at a Seat dealership.

By the way i sprayed the rubbers with a silicon spray and the annoying sound stopped. I don't know for how long, but since last week there is no sound.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately silicon spray was good but only for a week. After that window rattles came up again. Well I solved the problem. I bought a Gummi Pflege from Praktiker and applied it to every door's rubber and plastic. There is no cracking and rattling sound from windows any more.

Unfortunately silicon spray was good but only for a week. After that window rattles came up again. Well I solved the problem. I bought a Gummi Pflege from Praktiker and applied it to every door's rubber and plastic. There is no cracking and rattling sound from windows any more.

hi guys ive just had my roomy about 3 weeks now and girlfrend said that the passinger door is crecking so i will take it back to the dealer and

see whot they can do with it just had a rear spoiler fitted and the side moulding painted all black nice car

hi guys ive just had my roomy about 3 weeks now and girlfrend said that the passinger door is crecking so i will take it back to the dealer and

see whot they can do with it just had a rear spoiler fitted and the side moulding painted all black nice car

1. Try the gummi pfledge, since I applied it now no cracking, rattling, squeeking.

2. Some contact tape on the ring of the B-pillar.

Appliying grease or silicon spray will temporarilly fix the cracking sound but they will come up again very soon.

In the last couple of weeks, I've been experiencing the same rattles in the driver's window. This is annoying :wall:

has enybody taken the roomy back to the dealers yet to sort out the problems mines just slighty yet i will keep a eye on it

1. Try the gummi pfledge, since I applied it now no cracking, rattling, squeeking.

2. Some contact tape on the ring of the B-pillar.

Appliying grease or silicon spray will temporarilly fix the cracking sound but they will come up again very soon.

Could you please explain (or show me with a picture, which would be better) where did you apply contact tape on the ring of B-pillar?

Let us also know if you will try the 'SEAT plstic tape' and if it will work.

thanks emoticon-0144-nod.gif

As to what you wrote, it seems there is a problem when windows' rubber rings change shape with hot weather. In my case, the back left window behaved in strange ways when the safety device would meet excessive attrition. I used silicone spray to oil window rings and now it seems to work fine. I will also try that 'Gummi Pflege', if necessary.

Edited by Lorenzo

@Lorenzo : I must admit that i didn't ask Seat dealer for "Seat adhesive tape" because i solved my problem using Gummi Pfledge.

Here are some pictures.

Contact tape on B pillar ring. I also applied contact tape to C-pillar (rear passenger's) ring. Contact tape prevents door lock to produce annoying rattling sounds.

100_7224.jpg

Another one.

100_7220.jpg

And some photos showing how to apply Gummi Pfledge. It's as easy as polishing your shoes, and you should apply it on any door rubber seals.

100_7229.jpg

100_7228.jpg

100_7227.jpg

Since I applied the Gummi Pfledge every rattling and cracking sound disappeared till now.

Attention! If a squeaking sound appears every time you move up or down your window, its because your rubber windows seals are dirty. So take a wet micro fiber towel an clean thoroughly window glass and the guide canals where the glass is moving into (internal side of window frame)

If a cracking sound (mechanical sound) appears every time you move up or down your window then you should refer to your dealer to open the door's card panel and then clean and grease your window mechanism.

Hope i helped you.

OFF TOPIC

We (me and my local dealer) were about to change driver's seat due to cracking sound every time i entered the car. Not needed though. I found out that the sound occurred due to friction between the plastic side of the arm rest and the outer side of driver's seat. I applied Gummi Pfledge to arm rest's plastic frame and everything is perfect now.

Hope i helped you.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Short update - no special lubricant is required. I found out that cleaning all the rubbers seals using a wet cloth and dry off solve the irritating noises. My car is quite like a tombe now :D

• 4 years later...

Glad this subject has come up. I'm having the same trouble and so will try all the suggestions. :)

I have a dreadful rattling on the windows at low speeds and also stationary when the engine is on tickover, and like the OP, this sound stops when I wind down the windows a fraction.

Edited by Morgana

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I tried just cleaning the channels with a microfibre cloth with a knife wrapped inside it, then dried and added a smear of vaseline... you can use this on caravan window seals so I thought I would give it a try.  It was a bit quieter for a week, but the rattles were back after that.

So I ordered some of the gummi pflege stuff as recommended by a previous poster from Amazon, cost around a tenner including postage. Cleaned out the channels again yesterday, so they didn't have vaseline in them and tried this stuff. This morning, it's incredibly quiet! No rattles at all. In fact, I can hear the rear indicators ticking at the back and thought there was something wrong... then I realised that particular noise must have always been there (hopefully!) and the only difference is, now I can hear it!  So far, so good.  Will see how long it lasts, and report back.

Edited by Morgana
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm facing the exact same issue with Spaceback 2015 but the images are no longer available, is there any chance someone can clarify what I should do the with the Gummi Pfledge ?

@Morgana

@stratosg

OK, I've found the images are still available, you should open them in a new tab and copy only the relevant image url from the complete url

I really hope this would help, this thing driving me crazy !

Edited by sagilo