Disaster Oil change

I decided today to change the oil. All was going well, used a suction pump to get the oil out.

Then tried to change the filter, it just wouldnt come off. I eventually decided to do the screw driver through it but the walls of the filter are so thin it still was not moving.

I know its the rubber seal that is keeping it tight so tried to loosen it. First with a knife but couldnt get good access. Then I tore open the filter and tried a small flat head to see if that would break the seal. I was under pressure as had to collect the wife and was already an hour late.

I now have all the fluid from the radiator leaking out from where the oil filter attaches. What is left of the oil filter is still there.

How bad have I messed up? And what do I need to fix it?

Very sad Irish man :'(

Its a 1.8T vRS 2001.

Filter is destroyed but the water coming out now also is my major panic, flows fast when I open the top radiator cap

Water is coming out from around oil filter

Edited by countryboyhaha

Guest westallc

you have broken the oil cooler wich the oil filter connects to NOT GOOD

you will have to buy a new cooler and they are not cheap !!!!!

yes there should be an inlet and an outlet, it may be you have broken one of them, if you are lucky its just the pipe but you are gonna need to get this sorted before you try driving, feel for you buddy

cost not sure, try skoda, but you could try any vag breakers or http://www.skospares.com/

Guest westallc

contact billy on here he is breaking a vrs and he will be able to sell you that part

second hand about £20 new ££££

dont beat yourself up, these things happen, probably whoever did the last filter overtightened it and thats whats caused you to have trouble getting it off

dont beat yourself up, these things happen, probably whoever did the last filter overtightened it and thats whats caused you to have trouble getting it off

Buy I was beaten by a oil filter, oh the shame

na.....b*lls, dont worry bout it!

its the simplist of jobs that can be the biggest pain sometimes!

Am telling you if someone overtightened the oil filter and it seized, you would have problems getting it off without proper access from underneath.

Thats why i dont let others work on my cars!

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3f08186b97

there is practically no spin-on oil filter that will not be easily removed with this tool, easily the simplest solution for filter removal even in restricted space

These are awesome - borrowed my mate's last time but at that price I just bought one.

They're expensive here - as is everything :D

I decided today to change the oil. All was going well, used a suction pump to get the oil out.

Then tried to change the filter, it just wouldnt come off. I eventually decided to do the screw driver through it but the walls of the filter are so thin it still was not moving.

I know its the rubber seal that is keeping it tight so tried to loosen it. First with a knife but couldnt get good access. Then I tore open the filter and tried a small flat head to see if that would break the seal. I was under pressure as had to collect the wife and was already an hour late.

I now have all the fluid from the radiator leaking out from where the oil filter attaches. What is left of the oil filter is still there.

How bad have I messed up? And what do I need to fix it?

Very sad Irish man :'(

this is the exact reason why you always spread fresh oil on the seal and only hand tighten the filter on...

That tool is ACE, due to the size of the filter and the area its in I found its the only one that works.

PM answered too mate.

Sorry, I wanna get rid of engine as a lump really. too many bolts involved in taking it apart.

good luck mate, Hope its just a pipe thats pulled off.

:thumbup: