Skodas don't look as good as Audi's?

willis1337

I subscribe to a management tips email from a trainer called Chris Croft after attending one of his training courses. Anyway, he always finishes his monthly email with some PS's that can be about anything. Well, this month one read as follows:

"I’d be interested to hear from anyone with a good theory about why Skodas don’t look as nice as Audis. Don’t get me wrong, Skodas are brilliant cars, especially for the price – the days of quality problems are long gone. But they don’t LOOK as good do they? Possible explanations why cars from the same company vary so much are:

a) Quality somehow shows through – better-made and better-functioning cars just will unavoidably be a nicer shape as well

B) The difference is in my head, I just can’t help being biased, and if Skodas did cost more than Audis I would find myself preferring the look of the Skoda

c) Audi pay their designers more because they have more money from the sale of the car. The Skoda designers just aren’t as skilled

d) it costs more to manufacture a better-looking car

e) Audi deliberately reduce the attractiveness of the Skodas so they don’t impinge on the sales of Audis (but can you imagine them saying “Design something ugly please†or “sorry, that car is too good looking, bin that design?)

I find all of the above five hard to believe. Did I miss one?"

I thought it'd be good to ask for some responses on here that I can feed back to him? Please be gentle, he is a nice chap and means well ;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e) may be partly right.

VW as a group (not Audi) needs to keep the brands seperate and they have different target customers. Hence different designs.

I see the Skoda brand as the practical brand in the line up.

Since Audis are bland in main and have majorly FAIL!!! detailling like the "Auto Union" (quotes because it's nothing like a real AU grille), he's just plain wrong, and has been bewitched by fashion victim syndrome.

I'm not majorly keen on current Skoda styling either, aside from the Superb 2, but that does not make Audis attractive. Still, it could be worse; VWs are less attractive than Skodas and than Audis.

Since Audis are bland in main and have majorly FAIL!!! detailling like the "Auto Union" (quotes because it's nothing like a real AU grille), he's just plain wrong, and has been bewitched by fashion victim syndrome.

:rofl::rofl::dull::dull::rofl::rofl:

lol at the fashion victim statement. Please tell me how my A4 Avant is a fashion statement.

Oh and Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just so happens the majority find Audis attractive compared to Skodas.

Although I do find the Mk1 vRS Octy Combi in Red (one of my old skodas) just as good to look at as by B7 A4 Avant Sline.

Just to add.... Ever since VW ag (as in VAG; not vw audi group as most people seem to think it is) bought a controlling share of Audi back in the 70s. Audi has and will always be run as a seperate entertity in the group. They are not under direct control by VW and have no direct control over any other group brand, even SEAT.

I sold my Audi A4 2.4 V6 Sport for a Skoda vRS (both petrol), a year ago. I find my Skoda faster, more economical, more pratical and nicer to look at - also it was 45% cheaper than the Audi (both bought new). Audi's are nice but I prefer owning and driving the Skoda.

:D

Can't wait for the 'why do Audi force us to have nice looking cars' thread on one of the Audi forums.

As an owner of an A4, I do think it looks possibly the best of all of it's sector and is by far and away better looking than any equivalent Skoda. But does it drive as well as the BMW? Not quite. Is it as roomy as the equivalent Skoda? Not quite. Is it as prestigious as an equivalent Mercedes? not quite. Is it as good value as the Seat equivalent? No way!.

Every car manufacturer plays to it's strengths. Audis is, handsome cars with a lot of high tech. Skodas is value for money and also using a lot of inherited high tech from it's cousins. Value for money often means space and if you want space, you can't have low sleek cars without making them even bigger on the outside. I am sure Skoda could make better looking cars, but then people would whinge about the good old days when they were better value for money and had more interior space per £ than other manufacturers.

Skoda does what Skoda does best and Audi does what it does best. There is no reason to compare them as far as I can see.

I don't know specific prices etc, but if I was buying a car like an A4 for £30k I would want it look better than a £25k diffrent brand version of the same thing......... .........................................does that make sense lol

Theres a pecking order so expect less I guess ;)

I think I just confused myself .....

Amanda and Auroan,

Can either of you point me at an independant road test where a current Audi wins over similarly priced and all-round performance alternatives? So no V6TDi quattro vs other VAG 4 pot FWD comparisons! You'll have to show something like an FWD Tittie being better than a Scirocco or a Seat.

Lets compare current market segments shall we rather than what people think is a comparision and whats available in the ranges

Super Mini.... Fabia, Polo, Ibiza, A1

Small Family .....Octavia, A3, Golf, Leon, Rocco

Large Family/Reb mobile........Supurb, Passat

Compact Exec..... A4, Exeo

Large Exec .....A6

Large Luxury .....A8

Small sports...... TT

Small cab.... A3, EOS,

Cab.... A5

And on and on.

Lets compare MY (model year) like for like shall we for once ?

I have always thought that the fronts of Skodas look cheap and that is what lets them down. The grill design etc., just always looks cheap. If you sorted that, they would ooze quality. I veer towards the idea that it is a deliberate marketing decision to keep the perceived 'quality' of the brands segregated.

I went on a Chris Croft training course and although the course was very good I've never actually read one of his emails, I think they now go to spam :giggle:

Nice bloke though.

eh ?

Since when was a TT in the same section as a rocco or any SEAT ? The TT competitors are the porche caymen,...

You just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you think Audis are better cars.

You just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you think Audis are better cars.

It's not me saying that. It's the Car industry. :wonder: What a weak comment to an argument. If you think a TT sits in the same market segment as any SEAT or a rocco.... I might as well compare a fabia to an R8 :dull:

Amanda and Auroan,

Can either of you point me at an independant road test where a current Audi wins over similarly priced and all-round performance alternatives? So no V6TDi quattro vs other VAG 4 pot FWD comparisons! You'll have to show something like an FWD Tittie being better than a Scirocco or a Seat.

In my post you will see I attribute fine looks and build quality as the premier plus points of the A4 and the countless articles and motoring magazines I have read plus the many You Tube video reviews I have watched, support this belief. If I wanted handling, I would not buy any current Skoda. If I wanted looks, I would not buy any current Skoda, If I wanted prestige (whatever that is to each individual) I would not buy any current Skoda. If I wanted build quality I would consider a Skoda, but not before a VW or Audi (assuming cost is not an objection). If all I wanted was pure VFM, then I would definately consider a Skoda. in fact I did and bought one a few years ago.

As for badge snobbery, I see many owners like myself who have had the engine size badges removed from their 3.0 V6s so for most of us, it isn't anything to do with that. I like sitting and drving in my car, it feels special and the quality of many (but not all) of the interior fittings and options are truly first class. Would I swap it for an Octy or Superb, to be honest, no way. But I am fortunate that having had a couple of good years (very) hard wok, I can afford to treat myself to something special. When it comes time to swap, I may be skint and could well be looking second hand Fiat Pandas, at which point my focus will then have changed to wanting a cheap, functional run-about, with a little charm thrown in for good measure.

It's not me saying that. It's the Car industry. :wonder: What a weak comment to an argument. If you think a TT sits in the same market segment as any SEAT or a rocco.... I might as well compare a fabia to an R8 :dull:

Well the Fabia is faster and better looking and cheaper and betterer and has better resale value and is more popular and is more rarer and has better options and ..............................

Well the Fabia is faster and better looking and cheaper and betterer and has better resale value and is more popular and is more rarer and has better options and ..............................

Oh yeah... forgot about the 2.0 Petrol model.