Tyre sawtoothing problems

20 members have voted

1. 1. Sawtoothing on the rear wheels

• I have had it, i don't rotate my wheels
    • I haven't had it in 10k+ miles, i rotate my wheels
    • I haven't had it in 10k+ miles, i don't rotate my wheels
    • I have had it, i rotate my wheels sooner than every 5k miles

I'm wondering if rotating / swapping wheels front to back is the key to the sawtoothing problem? I've not had it, but i rotated my dunlops front to back every 2.5k miles or so and they were nearly worn out when i changed cars.

As i understand the official VAG stance on this now is that it's not a geometry problem (where previously skoda were recommending revised geometry they're not now). I think sawtoothing can be caused on non driven wheels due to them only being subject to one directon of force (i.e. only braking or being dragged along for the ride, never driving the acceleration of the car).

I could tick all the boxes as i had this issue and tried everything including pulling some of my hair out in the process. I swapped back to front, had tyres remounted so i could swap left to right blah blah.

I took the car to Summers Motors in kent, VW approved repair centre. Paid 90 odd quid for a full Geometry check with alignment to new settings. Then stuck new vredesteins ultracs on it and been fine ever since. Last check at service, the fronts had worn identically at 4mm left and rears both at 7mm. And this is after probably close to 18,000 miles of use on them.

Before i had this done i went through the bridgestone potenzas and a set of dunlops sport sp9000 and smaxx tyres in no time.

Oh yeah and no sawtoothing on the edges to report. all good.

Well, this hasn't been conclusive by any stretch of the imagination but at least we know for future posters with tyre problems that it's still valid to recommend they have the geometry checked, rotating the wheels from new may be valid to recommend too.

haven't got a box to tick but started at about 9k miles swapped tyres at 9.5k not done much mileage since seems ok so far.

Once it appears i'm not sure you can rescue it :thumbdown: :(

had mine swapped today! 20k on the rears which are badly worn and on the iside edge and lumpy. really noisey now there on the front but will run them a bit and see if they settle down. Never had this problem on the Mk1 vRS !

should option 2 of the vote read I have had it in 10k and etc or is that option 3 ?

My fronts were also badly worn. Nearside one in particular was very saw-toothed round the inner edge.

Sarge.

I'm wondering if rotating / swapping wheels front to back is the key to the sawtoothing problem? I've not had it, but i rotated my dunlops front to back every 2.5k miles or so and they were nearly worn out when i changed cars.

As i understand the official VAG stance on this now is that it's not a geometry problem (where previously skoda were recommending revised geometry they're not now). I think sawtoothing can be caused on non driven wheels due to them only being subject to one directon of force (i.e. only braking or being dragged along for the ride, never driving the acceleration of the car).