Fabia refurb underway, project 1.8T

Tech1e

I'm sure I read somewhere that closed cell foam mats, like those used for camping, can be successfully used as cheap sound-deadening.

More than likely, egg boxes anyone?

Depends if you are trying to isolate engine and road noise, or panel drumming. Egg boxes may work, but if cardboard gets damp, and then warmed and dried out, and this is repeated often enough, they can spontaneously combust. Goodness gracious great balls of fire :rofl:

Here's a post about budget sound deadening http://www.talkaudio...bq-alternative/

Interesting approach, cheers for the link. How much do you reckon would be needed for say the underfloor area of the Octy2, round the rear wheelaraches plus underneath the rear bench? Looks thinner than the stuff I used on the Fabia last time, so maybe two layers would be needed?

Which one Ross, the eDead or SoundX ?

That was my thinking too, don't think I'll get value for money out of the 'proper' Dynamat stuff really! Any idea on quantity for those bits of the Octy2?

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up another little treat for the car today, thanks to Softscoop.

179951f4.jpg

ecd0b758.jpg

Just need a good scrub up but in pretty good nick, I've seen a lot worse at work that's for sure. Brightens the interior up a little (not that it needed it with a green dash..lol) but much more supportive in the twisties for sure. Funniest part of the day being stuck on a kerb outside Softscoops place, cars that stiff as the back right hand wheel dropped down it picked the left front up and was stuck there with the wheel spinning..lol