The winter tyres are now stored

How gorgeous my Yeti looks again on its big 17" rubber. The car has its stance back! :rofl:

The winters have now been swapped. Here are the Spitzbergs in the boot on the way to my friends' place. They have a proper jack and a huge driveway (neither of which I have).

imgp7082.jpg

And they are now safely stored in the studio on their Westfalia tyre tree:

imgp7089.jpg

imgp7090.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, J. It helps very much to see them off the car and shows more realistically the amoumt of space they take up. (They look to take up more room than you might at first imagine).

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, J. It helps very much to see them off the car and shows more realistically the amoumt of space they take up. (They look to take up more room than you might at first imagine).

They sure do take up a fair amount of space. Thankfully our studio at the end of the garden has lots of space for such things. Though I'm not sure how long this set will stay there. I'm thinking of selling it complete to get silver steel wheels with the bigger 215/60 winter tyres on...

They seem to take up even more room if not on rims, and therefore not on the excellent looking tree! Mine are off too - and being 'just tyres' sit in the garage and are a constant obstacle. I wouldn't be without them though!

H

imgp7089.jpg

I like that tyre tree. As the time (finally) comes to swap back to summers, I'm slightly regretting just having the winter tyres put on to the standard rims instead of buying a set of steels (I was in a hurry). I could find a space for that Westfalia gadget IF ONLY I tidied up the garage a bit... :S

Hey Johann, you are taking a great risk - changing to summers and we are not out of March yet. We could have the roughest April on record.:giggle:

Hehehe... :rofl: On this one I'm hedging my bets that London will be fine from now on!

My Winters came off my Superb 4x4 two weeks ago now, but, i took the plunge and bought 18" Skoda OEM rims, and fitted to the Vredestine Wintrac Xtreme's, as i couldn't stand the car looking poor with Steel wheels on... sorry Johann!

Al.

ps. The OEM jack from Skoda is great - Neat and Tidy and works like a charm!

ps. The OEM jack from Skoda is great - Neat and Tidy and works like a charm!

Oh I know it works fine - saw it in action this weekend on the 4x4 run when AndyC had a puncture. BUT you have to wind it down. And I get great pleasure in opening that little valve on a proper jack to slowly let a car glide down. The child in me likes that. :giggle:

Hehehe... :rofl: On this one I'm hedging my bets that London will be fine from now on!

I hope you are right BUT I think you may need your winters to climb the piles of {lawful & peaceful} demonstrators lying around your streets.

How gorgeous my Yeti looks again on its big 17" rubber. The car has its stance back! :rofl:

The winters have now been swapped. Here are the Spitzbergs in the boot on the way to my friends' place. They have a proper jack and a huge driveway (neither of which I have).

imgp7082.jpg

imgp7089.jpg

imgp7090.jpg

Me too. Son and I changed the wheels on the Yeti and his Rover 25.

John

I put my summer rubber back on at the weekend as well.

Is it a good idea to keep a note of which wheel came fron which corner? I didn't when I put the winter wheels on but it was fairly obvious when I came to put the summer wheels back on which had been at the front: they had much more brake dust inside the rim (no, I didn't clean them before I stored them - it was below freezing and dark when I did it, and continued below freezing for a number of days afterwards which rather put me off getting the hose out!)

I put my summer rubber back on at the weekend as well.

Is it a good idea to keep a note of which wheel came fron which corner?

I did not since my summer tyres had barely 500 miles on them. And as to the winters they have less than 5000 on them and I want to change to the bigger winter tyres so will be looking at selling these.

So how many of us took our winters off at the weekend and have been scraping the screen each morning since?

So how many of us took our winters off at the weekend and have been scraping the screen each morning since?

All of those who's cars dont live in a garage, or who's owners didnt spec the heated screen! :giggle:

Al.

Swapped mine over a few days ago and it was a bit of a squeeze getting them into my car afterwards. There is enough space with the seats down, but as it's a saloon the space is not regularly ...............er spaced, if you see what I mean. The Octy would have been a lot easier to get them into (245/18s on my current car so they are quite big) There was a Briskoda Yeti in having the same treatment as me and I think he found it a lot easier to get the tyres into his car :D

All of those who's cars dont live in a garage, or who's owners didnt spec the heated screen! :giggle:

Al.

Ice on screen? didn't realise it had been so cold in London......emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I was forced to change over to summers about 6 weeks ago. I have used the heated screen, but not recently.

Currently my winter tyres are stored on top of each other in a well ventilated place, with a cover of sorts over them.

Do we really have to space them apart?

Currently my winter tyres are stored on top of each other in a well ventilated place, with a cover of sorts over them.

Do we really have to space them apart?

I realised this ...

If you stack wheels on top of each other the one on the bottom has the weight of the other three (75kg ish) resting on it with the tyre taking the strain. Using a tyre tree eliminates this and each tyre is 'unstressed'.

I have though heard that tyres are best stored on a rack in a vertical/upright position. Not sure it matters too much.

Aiming to switch mine over at the weekend. :thumbup:

Oh I know it works fine - saw it in action this weekend on the 4x4 run when AndyC had a puncture. BUT you have to wind it down. And I get great pleasure in opening that little valve on a proper jack to slowly let a car glide down. The child in me likes that. :giggle:

I hope you didn't go too far, you could have come and done it in our depot. :thumbup:

I hope you didn't go too far, you could have come and done it in our depot. :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer CT17. My friends live in Clapham South so it was not too far.

I got Kevin's wheels switched over for the summer at the weekend.

As I needed to get my summer tyres married up to wheels, I popped along to my local friendly tyre dealer (being using them for too many years) to help me out. Here's a short storyline for you;-

Tyres ready to go. Bought them a month ago from Tyremen in Hull, really fresh rubber as only manufactured in week 05/11

DSC00053.jpg

Tyres and wheels loaded up ready to go

DSC00055.jpg

Kevin being readied for the swap over; going up!

DSC00057.jpg

Summer wheel/tyres ready for fitting

DSC00058.jpg

Winter wheels off

DSC00060.jpg

Ready .....

DSC00059.jpg

fitted and about to come down

DSC00062.jpg

loaded

DSC00064.jpg

ready to head home

DSC00065.jpg

Kevin resplendent in his summer plumage back at home

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

PS> For the technically minded Kevin is wearing Team Dynamics GTOs in 7.5J x 18 ET37 with 225/45 18 95Y Vredestein Ultac Sessantas

Fill the arches really well, Guy - how's the ride?

The ride is fine; albeit I feel that 'the ride' is often a very subjective quality.

Compared to my 'winter' tyres (225/50 17) that were comfortable/firmish but you could feel the softness & suppleness in their construction they are naturally firmer; but not overly so.

Yes I do feel those little imperfections in the road surface more but this is more than outweighed by the extra sharpness in steering and general response to handling.

Overall I would advocate that the ride in general is more comfortable than my Octavia vRS was (on 17s or 18s) and is also more comfortable than my wife's Roomster Scout.

If you like a 'sporty' setup to your suspension you will not be disappointed. ;)