Bloody immobiliser and key

They decided they don't recognise each other yet have been inextricably linked since they were both birthed!!!!! (Sounds familiar < :giggle: )

So, I put my key in the ignition and the car starts, then the immobiliser switches her off again (don't recognise you!! Who are you? What you doing in my slot??) This does not even happen every time I start her up. Sometimes I can be sat for two attempts before they suddenly start communicating again, sometimes for over half an hour of attempt after attempt and much cajoling degenerating into expletives before she suddenly recognises the damn key... oh and this is usually at the petrol station just after I've filled up and it's rush hour (my car has a sense of humour... at this point I lose mine :rofl: )

My mechanic doesn't have a bloody clue what is going on and wants to charge me the earth and stars for something he's not even sure of. Not happening!!

So. My solution is to disable the damn immobiliser. Could someone please tell me how to do this please and do I also need to fiddle with the key?? Or is there a YouTube demo of doing this? I doubt anyone would try to nick the car (ooh tempting fate here)as it's a 99 model (TDI) and needs washing

Thanks guys

Faye

The only way to disable the immobiliser is to remove it inside the ECUs programming. The fault will probably be with your instrument cluster.

We can remove the immobiliser for you if you'd like to get in touch.

Hi Shark,

How much would that cost ('Shark' doesn't inspire me to trust you by the way :no: ) and if the prob is in the instrument cluster then can it be fixed as my dials also have a habit of not working then working (speedo etc)is that related?

Thanks

Faye

On a 1999 model it's likely that the wiring loom from the read coil to the back of the instrument cluster needs replacing. Around £10 for the loom and a leisurely hours work.

Unless of course it's like one we saw a few months ago, for some inexplicable reason the transponders were missing from both sets of keys.

If you have the login code for your immobiliser, there's a way of entering it through the instrument cluster buttons that will allow you to start the car for 45 minutes.

Thanks RW.

Thanks Fordfan. Where would I get someone to look at it and not rip me off please? I don't know any login numbers... :doh:

Thanks

Faye

You won't need any login numbers and the cluster will not need to be reprogrammed. The cluster hasn't forgotton the keys - it just can't read them. Any good mechanic/auto-electrician will be able to replace the loom for you or it's quite simple to DIY it.

• Like 1

Everyone suggests the loom and coil in these circumstances, but I see these all the time and given that the dials are working intermittently it really is likely to be the cluster.

Everyone suggests the loom and coil in these circumstances, but I see these all the time and given that the dials are working intermittently it really is likely to be the cluster.

The dials work less often than when they work.....

You won't need any login numbers and the cluster will not need to be reprogrammed. The cluster hasn't forgotton the keys - it just can't read them. Any good mechanic/auto-electrician will be able to replace the loom for you or it's quite simple to DIY it.

How do I DIY it to see if it's this please? Any YouTube vids to show me how?? :)

I couldn't find a 'how to' anywhere so I took a few pics to get you started. You don't need to remove the steering wheel itself.

Adjust the steering wheel to its lowest position and with a flat screwdriver, carefully prise down the clip that holds the flexible column shroud.

post-2559-0-90789200-1303239465_thumb.jpg

Turn the steering wheel to reveal both column shroud screws on the right (marked A and B in the pic). Turn the wheel again to reveal the left hand screws. You need a long Philips #1 screwdriver.

post-2559-0-49027000-1303239469_thumb.jpg

Pull the steering wheel fully towards you. Undo the two screws that secure the steering wheel reach/tilt lever (marked C). You need a Torx T25. Now undo the screw that secures the lower column shroud (marked D). You need a Hex 4mm for this one. Remove the shroud.

post-2559-0-59244700-1303239472_thumb.jpg

The following two pics show the loom (twisted pair, black and green, marked E) and the plug to the immo reader coil (marked F).

post-2559-0-25848500-1303239476_thumb.jpg post-2559-0-99695000-1303239462_thumb.jpg

From here it is just a matter of carefully following the loom back until you reach the plug on the other end, replacing the loom (don't untwist it) and reversing the process

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks for the pictures rwbaldwin. Been trying to get into mine, but my steering column like different to this. It is a 2000 Octavia. Do I need to undo the screws under the steering column? Any ideas anyone?

I couldn't find a 'how to' anywhere so I took a few pics to get you started. You don't need to remove the steering wheel itself.

Adjust the steering wheel to its lowest position and with a flat screwdriver, carefully prise down the clip that holds the flexible column shroud.

P1.JPG

Turn the steering wheel to reveal both column shroud screws on the right (marked A and B in the pic). Turn the wheel again to reveal the left hand screws. You need a long Philips #1 screwdriver.

P2.JPG

Pull the steering wheel fully towards you. Undo the two screws that secure the steering wheel reach/tilt lever (marked C). You need a Torx T25. Now undo the screw that secures the lower column shroud (marked D). You need a Hex 4mm for this one. Remove the shroud.

P3.JPG

The following two pics show the loom (twisted pair, black and green, marked E) and the plug to the immo reader coil (marked F).

P4.JPG P5.JPG

From here it is just a matter of carefully following the loom back until you reach the plug on the other end, replacing the loom (don't untwist it) and reversing the process

Quoted you to get attn for Lizk ;)