SuperPro rear bush for lower rear engine mount

fabdavrav

Finally got a round toit (funny things them) :D 

SuperPro rear engine mounting bush 70shore, code no. SPF2907-70K, (Listed for Fabia MKI & MKII) cost approx £41-£46
Fitting instructions and grease included.

I went for the 70shore hardness bush as the 80shore is really for track and people with the 80shore or the Vibratechnics versions admit that their mounting can transmit a bit to much NVH to the steering wheel (diesels mainly).

As you can see from the photos..only two wings hold the OEM on!

333d9b21.jpg

The OEM bush was easy to remove....hammer, saw, screwdriver/chisel, usual  ....just be carefull not to damage the aluminium mounting itself!! With the bush removed there was white fluffy/powdery deposits on the inside of the mounting (usual for aluminium) so a quick clean up with some 80grit sandpaper to remove & smooth (I also degreased the whole mounting and dried it). Then grease and fit the bush (did this by hand, no tools needed, with the mounting resting on a block of wood to protect it from marking)...fit it as shown with the groove pointing towards the rear of the car!! Also (not shown in photo) the groove needs greasing before fitting into sub-frame.

2e7630b1.jpg

As the new bush stands proud of the mounting, it was looking a bit of a tight fit to get it through the opening, so I cut up some old ice cream carton lids to protect it from the sharp metal lip, and slid it through these in to position (photo was done after, just to show).

93489f59.jpg

Then refit the bolts (I fitted new as these were the originals, 10yrs old)
(These torque settings apply to all engines, only difference is length and shape of the metal bracket part which bolts to the gearbox, with the VRS version having three bolts)
Rear torque arm to;
Subframe = 40Nm (30lft ft) + 1/4 turn
Transmission = 30Nm (22lbf ft) + 1/4 turn

The engine hardly moves from this point, but it still has the movement in the other mounts as per normal. Also I re-adjusted the gearchange cables (to make sure) and the gearchange is alot shorter/more positive (even before I adjusted the cables). ]

My post on how to adjust the gearchange cables:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/202072-how-to-adjust-the-gear-stick-to-gear-box-linkage/

EDIT:
Been for a long drive now and the following has been observed!
1. A small amount of additional "purposeful" vibration through the steering wheel and bodywork when car is idling!
2. Engine sounds more purposeful, with engine note slightly harder and higher pitched!
3. Allthough I re-adjust my gearchange cables every year, the shift feels so much better, shorter, more "rifle bolt", and with less "shunt"!
4. Pick-up is now instant, as power is not wasted by engine rocking on mounts!
Considering the difference it makes to the driving experiance I think that the standard mount should be changed every 6years!! If you don't want any extra vibration, just get a new VAG OEM replacement mount! The 80shore version and the Vibratechnics mounts I think would add way to much vibration for day to day driving!!

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 4