mpg, does it get any better

hi,

well had the vrs tsi now for just over 2 weeks now and loving the car apart from the road noise, but that is another topic.

anyway, i have done over 800 miles in it already and been a variety of motorway and driving around town during the week.

thing is i am going to be filling up for the 4th time tomorrow and i am a bit concerned about the mpg.

gave it the odd blast here and there, but since thursday at last fill up i have been driving the car as gently as possible. i mean really as slow as possible.

i wanted a diesel from the start to be honest but did not really have an option than to take a new petrol model due to waiting and issues with my car which had to go back to the same dealer.(long story)

question is, i have read on here and people saying it gets better but does it get any better? will the mpg get better as the engine gets some more miles on it?

hope it does as i love the car but i cant continue filling up every 4 days with a full tank.

cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

well had the vrs tsi now for just over 2 weeks now and loving the car apart from the road noise, but that is another topic.

anyway, i have done over 800 miles in it already and been a variety of motorway and driving around town during the week.

thing is i am going to be filling up for the 4th time tomorrow and i am a bit concerned about the mpg.

gave it the odd blast here and there, but since thursday at last fill up i have been driving the car as gently as possible. i mean really as slow as possible.

i wanted a diesel from the start to be honest but did not really have an option than to take a new petrol model due to waiting and issues with my car which had to go back to the same dealer.(long story)

question is, i have read on here and people saying it gets better but does it get any better? will the mpg get better as the engine gets some more miles on it?

hope it does as i love the car but i cant continue filling up every 4 days with a full tank.

cheers

We have both a TSI VRS and a 1.8 TSI DSG and am very impressed with the fuel consumption as it is slightly better than our old VRS Mk 1 despite the car being much bigger etc.

On long runs the TSI VRS is capable of 50 mpg (on the computer) at reasonable speeds criusing at 70 mph and having an average journey speed of 65 mph when taking in to account suburban areas and motorway speed restricted area. Range I have seen on the car computer is 630 miles at best. Computer probably over reads by about 4% as does the speedo of course.

Yes there is some friction reduction and auto gas flowing that occurs in the engine over the first few thousand miles.

The Octavia is a Grand Tourer type car, weighing 1.5 tonnes kerb weight, 1.75 tons to 2 tons in driving trim, it's urban fuel consumption is often 25-30 mpg due to its weight, massive acceleration which few can resist using.

I could have bought a VRS like SWMBOs but went for the 1.8 TSI. Only half a second slower to 60 mph, 7 speed DSG helps it get 5 mpg better on a run and it is more relaxing to drive. Had the range up to 675 miles on this car.

Would not have gone for the diesel as it is too comprimised on performance and the No VAT deal was not on it ie £5K more for a slower car. Fuel consumption only about 5 mpg better than my 1.8 TSI.

Driving techinque can make a big difference. Driving/thinking much further ahead which I was taught in my training by police drivers. I also slip my DSG in to Neutral down long gentle hills when safe to do it although many struggle with the consept that this save fuel/energy, do it sometimes in the manual VRS but not as often as it is more if a pain to do it.

All manufactures are moving away from diesel and moving towards direct injected turbocharged petrol engine with energy recovery and hybrid coming along soon to all models.

Stick with it, it will get better, fuel looks like it will drop in price over the next few month as commodity dealers are setting contracts for $80 oil for delivery later this year. Not to say the Government will restore the Excise duty back on to the escalator to raise more taxes from us though!

Edited by lol

We have both a TSI VRS and a 1.8 TSI DSG and am very impressed with the fuel consumption as it is slightly better than our old VRS Mk 1 despite the car being much bigger etc.

On long runs the TSI VRS is capable of 50 mpg (on the computer) at reasonable speeds criusing at 70 mph and having an average journey speed of 65 mph when taking in to account suburban areas and motorway speed restricted area. Range I have seen on the car computer is 630 miles at best. Computer probably over reads by about 4% as does the speedo of course.

Yes there is some friction reduction and auto gas flowing that occurs in the engine over the first few thousand miles.

The Octavia is a Grand Tourer type car, weighing 1.5 tonnes kerb weight, 1.75 tons to 2 tons in driving trim, it's urban fuel consumption is often 25-30 mpg due to its weight, massive acceleration which few can resist using.

I could have bought a VRS like SWMBOs but went for the 1.8 TSI. Only half a second slower to 60 mph, 7 speed DSG helps it get 5 mpg better on a run and it is more relaxing to drive. Had the range up to 675 miles on this car.

Would not have gone for the diesel as it is too comprimised on performance and the No VAT deal was not on it ie £5K more for a slower car. Fuel consumption only about 5 mpg better than my 1.8 TSI.

Driving techinque can make a big difference. Driving/thinking much further ahead which I was taught in my training by police drivers. I also slip my DSG in to Neutral down long gentle hills when safe to do it although many struggle with the consept that this save fuel/energy, do it sometimes in the manual VRS but not as often as it is more if a pain to do it.

All manufactures are moving away from diesel and moving towards direct injected turbocharged petrol engine with energy recovery and hybrid coming along soon to all models.

Stick with it, it will get better, fuel looks like it will drop in price over the next few month as commodity dealers are setting contracts for $80 oil for delivery later this year. Not to say the Government will restore the Excise duty back on to the escalator to raise more taxes from us though!

Is this the Fabia vRS TSi?

If not I would love to get that sort of mpg from my Tfsi......

This is 'lol world' remember, where a 1.8TSI is faster than a diesel vRS :D

Mr Hankey, what is your computer showing as your average mpg? It might be worth workgin it out manually too to see what you are actually getting, and that way you will be able to keep a track on it and see if it gets better.

Also if there is some sort of problem (which is doubtful but you never know) you could go back to the garage armed with "I get 25mpg" rather than "I have to fill up every four days".

Not quite sure I agree with this, and if it is 2 tonnes then the car is seriously flawed as that is way heavier then just about anything else.

OP - we need to know what the MPG is that you are achieveing over a full tank for anyone to comment acurately

This is 'lol world' remember, where a 1.8TSI is faster than a diesel vRS :D

Mr Hankey, what is your computer showing as your average mpg? It might be worth workgin it out manually too to see what you are actually getting, and that way you will be able to keep a track on it and see if it gets better.

Also if there is some sort of problem (which is doubtful but you never know) you could go back to the garage armed with "I get 25mpg" rather than "I have to fill up every four days".

1,8 TSI and Wiesel VRS are equal fast ie both 140mph, the 1.8 TSI is about 8-10% quicker accelerating according to Skoda and the motoring press. See brochure and such sources as http://www.zeperfs.com/ a bit of French helps.

Is this the Fabia vRS TSi?

If not I would love to get that sort of mpg from my Tfsi......

SWMBO has Octavia TSI VRS and I have Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K DSG.

TFSI is not so easy to get good fuel consumption. Strange things occured between Pre-FL and FL.

EA888 engine in TSIs are slightly lighter than the EA113 in the TFSI. Torque is produced at lower RPM in EA888 making good gas mileage easier to get.

CO2 figures drop right down. TSI VRS is now 175 g/km, my 1.8 TSI DSG is 155 g/km.

Skoda's figure for extra urban for 1.8 TSI DSG is 53 mpg which is exactly what I can get.

Biggest factor is where you drive though. I drive 99% of open A roads and Motorways. I play Clarkson's game of sticking myself if I every brake as I regard that as I failure. I will use the paddles and sports mode when I went to get a shifty on and engine brake into corners to fast accelerate off if I has a wiesel up my as* or I am hassling a wiesel in front of me.

FL car is slightly more aerodynamic as well as VRS top speed went up from 240 to 242 kph for instances.

Edited by lol

I drive mine like i stole it, but my normal commute is speed-limited by the conditions/traffice etc. Averaging 32-33mpg overall which given the performance is (i think) pretty good.

In my experience, all of these VAG engines get better with a few miles on them both in terms of performance and mpg - by "a few miles" i mean like 8-10k or so.

To the OP: what are you getting, and what were you expecting?

1,8 TSI and Wiesel VRS are equal fast ie both 140mph, the 1.8 TSI is about 8-10% quicker accelerating according to Skoda and the motoring press. See brochure and such sources as http://www.zeperfs.com/ a bit of French helps.

1.8TSI has 185lb.ft of torque, the 170CR has 260lb.ft. (as well as 10bhp more).

They weigh more or less the same yet the less powerful car is quicker?

Petrol cars always do well in the 0-60 tests but the useful acceleration is the in-gear rolling times. I can't find any info on the net at all but with such a huge torque advantage the vRS will be usefully quicker than the 1.8TSI.

The 1.8TSI is by all accounts a peach of an engine but you spouting on that it's faster than a diesel vRS all the time is becoming tiresome. It's not more economical either, despite what you might say :p

ANyway, this isn't really helping the OP so sorry for the thread drift.

I drive normally with a bias towards longer trips, my brim-to-brim TSI vRS consumption figures can be seen below.

The figures get better and I can also vouch for the fact that 50mpg on the computer is achievable on the vRS but it will bore the pants off you trying to do it and will only be 42-43 mpg in real life.

You are a moaning auld git Andy lol a trip to Inters in june will get some miles on it....thats if you make it on time with your gas guzzling car :p

You've said you're filling up for the 4th time, having done 800 miles? Do I take it then that each full tank has lasted you, on average 200 miles?!

In my experience with VAG engines, it will continue to loosen up as you drive. I had a Fabia vRS from nearly new and observed a noticeable improvement at 10k, and then again as I approached 20k. More recently, I bought one with 65k on it and that was the most economical one I had. So increasing mileage will certainly help in my view.

I'm getting a little tired of the continued 'petrol is best' preaching from some, but I'll try my best to remain objective. There are, of course, pros and cons to each engine choice, but remarks such as "Would not have gone for the diesel as it is too comprimised [sic] on performance" is, at best, an ill-informed opinion.

1.8TSI has 185lb.ft of torque, the 170CR has 260lb.ft. (as well as 10bhp more).

They weigh more or less the same yet the less powerful car is quicker?

Petrol cars always do well in the 0-60 tests but the useful acceleration is the in-gear rolling times. I can't find any info on the net at all but with such a huge torque advantage the vRS will be usefully quicker than the 1.8TSI.

The 1.8TSI is by all accounts a peach of an engine but you spouting on that it's faster than a diesel vRS all the time is becoming tiresome. It's not more economical either, despite what you might say :p ANyway, this isn't really helping the OP so sorry for the thread drift.

Véhicules

Skoda Octavia II RS 2.0 TDI V S Skoda Octavia II 1.8 TSi

Boîte de vitesse : manuelle à 6 rapports manuelle à 6 rapports

Puissance Maxi : 170 ch 160 ch

Couple Maxi : 350 Nm 250 Nm

Rapport Poids/Puissance 9.24 kg/ch 1 9.13 kg/ch 1

Performances moyennes vérifiées *

Vitesse Maxi réelle : 224 Km/h 223 Km/h

Km DA : 30.2 s. 28.4 s.

0 à 40 : 2.3 s. 2.2 s.

0 à 60 : 3.8 s. 4 s.

0 à 80 : 6.1 s. 5.8 s.

0 à 100 : 8.6 s. 7.7 s.

0 à 120 : 12.5 s. 11.3 s.

0 à 140 : 16.6 s. 15.2 s.

0 à 160 : 23.3 s. 19.9 s.

80 à 120 mini : 6 s. 5.5 s.

80 à 120 en 4 : 6.3 s. 6.6 s.

80 à 120 en 5 : 8.2 s. 8.7 s.

80 à 120 en 6 : 11.1 s. 10.5 s.

Km de 40 en 4 : 31.6 s. 29.9 s.

Km de 50 en 5 : 33.5 s. 31.1 s.

Edited by lol

You've said you're filling up for the 4th time, having done 800 miles? Do I take it then that each full tank has lasted you, on average 200 miles?!

In my experience with VAG engines, it will continue to loosen up as you drive. I had a Fabia vRS from nearly new and observed a noticeable improvement at 10k, and then again as I approached 20k. More recently, I bought one with 65k on it and that was the most economical one I had. So increasing mileage will certainly help in my view.

I'm getting a little tired of the continued 'petrol is best' preaching from some, but I'll try my best to remain objective. There are, of course, pros and cons to each engine choice, but remarks such as "Would not have gone for the diesel as it is too comprimised [sic] on performance" is, at best, an ill-informed opinion.

I think Clarkson attempt to get the Jaguar diesel around the Nurnburgring in less than 10 minutes highlighted the difference. One of the best episodes of Top Gear ever IMO. I started life as a Diesel Engineer in the Merchant Navy, I know what diesels are good at. Petrols have started to use the technology diesels have had for a while, turbos, direct injection and now they are closing the gap in flexibiity and fuel effecient. even VAG have choosen to prioritise petrol production engine over diesel, won awards at the Vienna Engine Symposium for their TSI not their TDI. Petrol allows more room in the engine bay for hybrid technology which further enhances it choice. Things will evolve, two stroke, may be Dr Felix's W*nkel format too.

Edited by lol

How does reproduction of these general figures help the OP, in a thread about fuel economy?

My point is with the TSIs you can have both economy and performance which I know is subjective, one persons good economy is another person bad and likewise with performance. As you know my crusade is to for people to recognise the 1.8 TSI as "The Third Way" sitting mid way between VRSs in economy and performance. I do own a wiesel which I actually do enjoy driving, it feels like it is chipped it so darn quick. I think you can get the book figures on these larger engined Octavias, not as confident about the Greenlines, tht sounds like a challenge. Drove a Leon Green thingy, ouch, it was like someone had fitted 28 inch wheels on it the gearing felt so high.

Horse for courses, if you live and mainly travel in a city (and I include anywhere in SE England which is like one 100 mile across city), buy a city car. If you mostly travel in the country side Octavia is great but above all brakes waste engine drive about 300-400 metres ahead is best advice.

Edited by lol

To answer the OP = Yes the engines do get more economical as they bed in, although some better than others as engines are not exactly the same.

tbh driving style will highlight more any increase in mpg as engine beds in.

I personally have never been convinced that hybrids are better with mpg, If you are using the engine you are using fuel, calculating mpg from a hybrid using top up litres, & miles on clock doesnt work, as if you do 30,40,50 miles as part of the tank on leccy motor you cant calculate correctly.

There has just been a report produced by Which magazine that did proper mpg calculations Diesel v Hybrid & found that a bmw320d is in the real world is more economical than a Prius. :D

I drive mine like i stole it, but my normal commute is speed-limited by the conditions/traffice etc. Averaging 32-33mpg overall which given the performance is (i think) pretty good.

In my experience, all of these VAG engines get better with a few miles on them both in terms of performance and mpg - by "a few miles" i mean like 8-10k or so.

To the OP: what are you getting, and what were you expecting?

Love that comment....:clap:

I drive normally with a bias towards longer trips, my brim-to-brim TSI vRS consumption figures can be seen below.

The figures get better and I can also vouch for the fact that 50mpg on the computer is achievable on the vRS but it will bore the pants off you trying to do it and will only be 42-43 mpg in real life.

I managed 999mpg on the computer yesterday - with my foot off the noisy pedal going down a hill! :giggle:

@OP in all seriousness as previously stated the engine will bed in more and mpg should improve, and then you will get it remap.....:devil:

thanks, i dont know what to say. was not expecting that sort of repsonse and debate.

but thanks to those who have answered and said it will get better as it beds in as i just wanted to check that was the case and not just a myth that it would get better.

cheers

TBH cruelly honest if mpg is your priority then buying a 200hp 150mph hatchback possibly wasn't the best move.

I have a TFSI and I get 35mpg if I'm lucky and that's on super unleaded.

You'll get better than that on normal fuel in a TSI.

mine had done nearly 6000 miles now.

from brim to fumes i am getting 330 to a tank.

real mix of roads and speeds involved, a bit of everything.

i thought it might improve after my shark remap but that doesnt seem to be the case.

i hope it will improve.

mine had done nearly 6000 miles now.

from brim to fumes i am getting 330 to a tank.

real mix of roads and speeds involved, a bit of everything.

i thought it might improve after my shark remap but that doesnt seem to be the case.

i hope it will improve.

In theory it should, but unfortunately with an extra 30-40 GG's the noisy pedal gets the lead foot treatment! :thumbup:

My Mk1 vRS would manage 330-370 miles per tank, when driven in a keen manner usually 330.

I would be surprised if the Mk2 vRS fuel economy is worse.