Colour Coded Grille Surround

Well, finally got round to finishing my Grille Surround.

The car started like this:

DSC03105.jpg

I then had a little accident and had the surround done like this:

DSC03233.jpg

Then decided after seeing the vRS+ that I would prefer it Black so have now done this:

newsidequater.jpg

newfrontend2.jpg

newfrontend1.jpg

Along with PastyBoy's excellent Badges:

original15-1.jpg

The Grille took some bloomin doing. I'd not painted owt before so was bit of a learning curve.

After a few coats of plastic primer, a few of gloss black I wet n dry'd it back to matt. Then I put several coats of lacquer on.

This left me with a nice orange peel effect on the lacquer so wet n dry'd this to this state:

wetndry2.jpg

wetndry1.jpg

You can see where the remnants of the orange peel effect were still showing through. This was sanded back before I got out the DA and some G3 Paint Renovator.

I was then able to get the paint looking very glossy as you can see in the badge pic.

Comments as always welcome.

Inspired by:

Maxton Design vRS:

akt-18.jpg

and Skoda's vRS+

Skoda-Octavia-RS+-GTI-Worthersee-tuning-event-01-588x394.jpg

Edited by prolfe

looking spot on there when you getting the rims too :D

I want mine colour coded race blue :( need to order a new grill surround want to keep original one.

Good Job :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Looks fantastic, i'm considering getting my blue one colour coded blue but what you have done is food for thought MMMmmm...??. Looks mean & meaty though.

I must admit I thought I would like it and was hoping someone would do it but now I'm not so sure. Reminds me of....

chanel-cashmere020bp.jpg

Think I prefer the white grill surround now :)

looks good, its different, although I think you would need darker rims to pull off the look

:thumbup: agreed

i like this alot, considering this grill now as looks mean.

i would get wheels done. i have tints also as that will help complete it.

top job.

how much was the black skoda badge? and is it pastyboy who is a member here?

is it just a sticker badge?

cheers

He is, have a looksie in the group buys and tell him I sent you :D

They are domed badges, I replaced both of mine, some people have stuck over top of existing.

I like it Prolfe, makes the car look more aggressive, well done nice job. Black wheels , tints n a Gloss black roof would really finish it off. :)

Black wheels would look really good. Ive had 2 cars and both times had the wheels black they look great! doesnt show the dirt as much so you dont need to wash them every other day like your standard silver ones! result! :thumbup:

Edited by broady

Black wheels would look really good.

Except on a white car to me it looks like the wheels have actually been nicked....

Gloss black mirrors are a nice touch-did you paint them too?

Agree darker wheels needed now to bring it together. :yes:

Sorry, forgot to reply, yes mirror housings done as well. Although they need doing properly. There was no lacquer on them so have badly chipped. Tried wrapping them but needed a cut as one piece was not enough.