Good-bye vRS

It's time to move on, I'm saying good-bye to the Fabia and replacing it with a... Berlingo! Test driving one today was a bit of a shock - generally 'soft' in comparison to the Fabia, in the suspension, the clutch was long, the brakes softer, the gear lever twice the length.

My Fabia is an 04, everything standard, 63k on the clock, has just had its cambelt and water pump changed and new discs and pads 3k ago. Tomorrow the Citreon dealer is going to tell me how much he'll give me as part exchange against a 55 plate 1.6 HDi 90hp Berlingo Desire (advertised for £5500).

Anyone fancy as guess, what's he going to offer me? And how much better a deal am I likely to get going private?

Yeah, it'll take some getting used to - I just need the space and practicality of the Berlingo. Bikes don't really fit in the vRS! Not without making a mess of it anyway.

dont go french pleaseeee

French; but made in Turkey, or Portugal.

And "Berlingo" is a township in Lombardy, Northern Italy. B)

They are pretty well regarded - their 'van' pedigree seem to make them more robust than their cars.

French; but made in Turkey, or Portugal.

And "Berlingo" is a township in Lombardy, Northern Italy. B)

They are pretty well regarded - their 'van' pedigree seem to make them more robust than their cars.

FFS, you've gone native already - sticking up for it :D

I'd be wanting a straight swap, but with them being a car dealer, expect them to want at least £1K in cash!

Guest BigJase88

Omg we have 2 berlingo 1.6 petrol work vans and they are shocking

Both gearboxes are hilarious you have to crunch third boxes are made of cheese

They never seem to be away from the garage either, snapped springs plagued with electrical faults coolant issues

We call them pope mobiles

I am open to alternatives... but they are thin on the ground. I'm looking for a vehicle that's as practical as a normal car, can hold two bikes (without disassembly), large enough to sleep in (which also means a flat bed), good for >50mpg and priced around £6k for a <5yr, <50k model.

The Berlingo (or same from Peugeot/Fiat) is pretty much all there is. The Renault Kangoo is certainly inferior which just leave 'crew cab' vans like the Vauxhall Combi which are pretty rare and the VW Caddy is just too expensive, these are also 'commercial' vehicles which opens up further complication.

I reckon my 04 vRS is of similar value to an 05 Berlingo of slightly lower mileage, all else being equal. I fear the dealer is going to want well over a grand to swap though. :(

I made the mistake of once owning a Citroen, never again. Called out the RAC 3 times in the 8 months I had it, and it spent more time broken off the road than on and even when working it had faults that the main dealer tried to fix on a number of occasions and failed. Spare parts are very expensive compared to the VAG brand, so keep that in mind as well.

Interesting how negative the comments are - thing is, there's a Berlingo forum where everyone's very positive about them. Internet forums are not the most objective places! I've heard more negative comments/reviews about the Transit Connect than the Berlingo and that's got the additional problems of finding a crew cab version and it being a 'commercial vehicle'. Sure Citroens have a bad rep, but then my Dad ran a ZX for ~280k without major issues and currently has a trouble free 51 plate Berlingo van.

What I was really asking in this thread were some guesses of what the dealer might offer in part-ex for my vRS.

Why not a Roomster, much better than a Berlingo and just as much space

Yeti or Roomster, Berlingo can be very problematic.

The Yeti and Roomster are much smaller inside, not really comparable to the Berlingo.

Guest BigJase88

Honestly im not joking the berlingo's are dogs

Every bit of plastic trim is cheap! Ive cut my hands on a few

And the new shape ones dont think 55 plate will be but they have rear suspension issues... Very unstable over bumps we think its a rear beam problem but citroen are investigating

The rear end is soo bad the tires were bald after 10k the fronts doing 20k.... All 5 1.6 hdi's we have are like this.... Should have bought transit connects

Should have bought transit connects

Crew cab connects are rare! There are only around a dozen on the whole of Autotrader, and the cheapest is £7200. I agree something like this one: http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/makemodel/make/ford/model/transit-connect/mileage/min/59999/cabtype/crew-cab/stock-item-id/at8a647b6f2f48f3f3012fba5276a12fda/advert

...is better than a Berlingo but it's far away and more expensive.

If I was to hazar a guess I would say around £3.5-£4k max they generally do try and rip you off one garage tried offering me £3k on part ex for mine you can imagine what I told him mine is also an 04 standard fsh 78k had clutch and cambelt done recently aswell you would be better to sell privately if you want to get the most out of your monet

For P/ex, i'd go somewhere between 2-3K on a 5.5K car.

These are Glasses p/ex figures.

Excellent condition:

£3160

Average condition:

£2860

Below average condition:

£2380

The fact its just had a service is of no benefit to the figures, you should have p/ex'd it before all this work was done.