PD170 stutter issue - FIXED FOR GOOD!

shark_90

We are proud to announce that we have found the underlying cause, and fixed the age old PD170 stutter issue!

Those with a PD170, whether standard, remapped or with DPF removed can now enjoy the full potential of their car without an annoying stutter every time the accelerator is pressed.

This issue has been plaguing many PD170 owners for so long that we can't remember, with maps from many different providers and even on 100% standard cars.

Various threads have been posted and many theories have been discussed, most prominently the EGR gasket fix that has a smaller diameter hole. Sometimes this works but unfortunately not always. We can now say that we have 100% fixed this issue with no hardware modifications required, no EGR gaskets and no messing around!

This fix will be applied in all our PD170 maps and if any of our customers are affected (I only know of 2) then an update will be applied free of charge. Anyone wishing to discuss switching to one of our maps from another provider, or book in for their free update can call 01623 332233.

Thanks

Shark Performance - Stutter Redefined

• Like 1

I have the above map fitted and it definitely solves the stutter problem. Ben's a top bloke and his company appears to have the PD engine covered in terms of tuning performance and reliability.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are proud to announce that we have found the underlying cause, and fixed the age old PD170 stutter issue!

Those with a PD170, whether standard, remapped or with DPF removed can now enjoy the full potential of their car without an annoying stutter every time the accelerator is pressed.

This issue has been plaguing many PD170 owners for so long that we can't remember, with maps from many different providers and even on 100% standard cars.

Various threads have been posted and many theories have been discussed, most prominently the EGR gasket fix that has a smaller diameter hole. Sometimes this works but unfortunately not always. We can now say that we have 100% fixed this issue with no hardware modifications required, no EGR gaskets and no messing around!

This fix will be applied in all our PD170 maps and if any of our customers are affected (I only know of 2) then an update will be applied free of charge. Anyone wishing to discuss switching to one of our maps from another provider, or book in for their free update can call 01623 332233.

Thanks

Shark Performance - Stutter Redefined

I have a Seat Altea PD 170 tdi on a 08 plate with dpf off and a reampped from custom code! will this fix the stutter for this?

Kinjamin

I have a Seat Altea PD 170 tdi on a 08 plate with dpf off and a reampped from custom code! will this fix the stutter for this?

Kinjamin

Yes, 100%.

Just missed out on the GB, next time there is one I'll be going down the Shark Performance route.

If i were to move over to you what will be the cost? Have you seen customs codes map and how does it differ from you in terms of smoothness and bhp gains?

Kinjamin

We are offering 20% off the price of our DPF-off software to people who switch to us in the month of June, making the price £439.20 including VAT.

• 11 months later...

Okay!,

Finally got around to be booked in to now 7th July. Cant wait to get the stutter diagnosed and fixed by Shark. Spoke to Ben on the phone and he believes could be an issue with the map. By the way the car has been mapped by another tuner! Three letters! Hope Ben can fix the issues!

Shark,

We are offering 20% off the price of our DPF-off software to people who switch to us in the month of June, making the price £439.20 including VAT.

Okay!,

Finally got around to be booked in to now 7th July. Cant wait to get the stutter diagnosed and fixed by Shark. Spoke to Ben on the phone and he believes could be an issue with the map. By the way the car has been mapped by another tuner! Three letters! Hope Ben can fix the issues!

Has the price gone up as this was a long time ago. Also what will be a price for the maps to be loaded on STS if I was to buy one on the day. Lets hope its not the flywheel which is the issue.

Kinjamin

We'll honour the 20% off for someone swapping from another tuner to us, so the price is the same. To have the maps loaded onto an STS, the cost is an additional £150 for the unit.

See you on the 7th!

We'll honour the 20% off for someone swapping from another tuner to us, so the price is the same. To have the maps loaded onto an STS, the cost is an additional £150 for the unit.

See you on the 7th!

Hi Ben.

Looking forward to it and some good advice!

Also I am looking for a clutch and flywheel package could you quote something that can handle the power I know that the standard one should but I looking at a stronger one. I know Southbend do a clutch and flywheel package circa £1000- 1200 but wanted to know what you advise. Could you price up some options please! If the price is right how soon can it be done?

Thanks in advanced

Kinjamin

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in this thread having picked my new pd170 up two weeks ago I've found it has stuttered on several occasions now.

I have a Stage 1 map with STS sitting at home at the moment courtesy of W8 - keeping my fingers crossed that it solves the problem!

Booked into Shark today for Dyno runs and some diagnostic work!

What a fantastic experience. Very professional from the outset. Rob greeted me by name and then the magic started.

Previous history was that I had the car mapped at a different tuner had a DPF delete done by the same tuner. Ben put the car on the Dyno. It made 221 on the other tuners rollers but on Sharks it made 203. A power run was completed and the curve looked okay, Even Ben said" I would be happy with that one" There were some initial fault codes with DPF being on even though it had been removed :o

Under more investigation it seems that the other mapper did not map the DPF off even though it was stated on the description on their map. The revision number of the software from the ECU was edited so even though the map can be easily be taken off but when applying a new map back to the ECU would mean it will be quite difficult as there are no information on what version the ECU is and therefore what can be put into the ECU. I found this a little disturbing as if there was any issues with the map then I would always have to go to the other tuner.

I made the decision to let Shark map the car and take the other tuner's map off as soon as Ben has made a map for it. Also If I wanted to put the car back to stock then I wanted this to do this as easily as possible and not faff around. The last thing is I wanted the DPF delete to be done correctly. What concerned me was the fact there was a fault code for the DPF but no warning on the dash?

Ben is now working on a custom map to be put on the car next time I am in!

Cant wait

Big thumbs up for Shark Performance!

• 3 weeks later...

Kinjamin how did you get on?

Hi Andrew!

Had three maps tuned by Ben! They had issues finding the original map for my car. Ben tuned three different maps when they where satisfied that the original map was put on the car and was okay! They when through all three maps and tested them on the dyno. Stage 0,1,2 was completed

Stage 0 183

Stage 1 205

Stage 2 211

There was a small amount of smoke on Stage 2. Happy with the result! My car is a Seat Altea XL and now it shifts! Rob after testing it said it was "hilarious" to drive.

I am guessing that the car looks should mean it is a slow car.

The car feels a lot different from the JBS mapped car.

Version 2 of the the JBS map on this occasion = Stage 1 of Sharks map!

Stage 2 of the Shark map makes only slightly more but the car feels different! Torque is slightly up on the JBS map!

All maps are on STS!

Kinjamin

Edited by kinjamin
  • Like 1

Excellent! My stage2 made 216 so not far off

Stage2+ was FAR to smokey for road use haha

Excellent! My stage2 made 216 so not far off

Stage2+ was FAR to smokey for road use haha

It will be like the James Bond secret weapon! LOL

• 1 year later...

Hi ive recently bought a golf 08 plate mk5 gt sport tdi 170, however when I first got the car it was smoking bad, so got it remapped and it was still smoking but a week after driving it I started getting the stutter in 3rd gear. took it back and got a different map on and it was worse. it then got diagnosed with leaking injectors so took it to VW who replaced 2 faulty injectors and replaced all 4 seals. I drove it standard for a couple of weeks with out the map on and it doesn't smoke at all now and the stutter had stopped . I had the map put back on but a couple of weeks into driving it the stutter has returned. hope to hear a reply

thanks chris