VRS TDI or FSI

OK guys, have a deal to do a personal lease. Both in stock at the moment... im not willing to wait 7 months, need a car sooner rather than later.

option 1) Standard Metallic with spare wheel VRS Octavia CR TDI in race blue... 300ish per month (inc road tax for 3 years) then hand the car back

option 2) Standard NON Metallic with spare wheel VRS Octavia 2.0 FSI in WHITE... 300ish per month however, this includes full Maintenance and Tyres

both contracted to 10000 per annum, no difference in the mileage. Both hatch backs

What i'm thinking more than anything is Economy, and how the petrol will hit me, compared to the diesel.

Mostly shorter journeys with a few bigger ones thrown in too, I know the DPF will be potential issue, how often does it need a regen?

Petrol scares me a little with 20 mpg for the Urban, been there before with a 3.0 V6 Jag Auto, I know the big runs will average it out, but im quite happy with my mondeo tdci and the 40mpg I can get doing Urban, with occasional extra urban. no DPF issues to speak of... plus id do more runs if it didnt have other issues (intermittant noise)

Im sure the maintenance and tyres over 30k would be a set of tyres (600) and maybe 1 or 2 oil changes (150-350)... so 1000 of savings, however, fuel will be quite different im sure.

Are they both on variable services?

Ive test drove the TDI drives nice, not like the 150bhp leon cupra I had, but a strong linear power.

So which one would you go for if you was me and why?

I'm on the same fence as you my friend. It's looking towards the diesel atm.

What was the 150 Leon TDi like? This is another that I was considering..

Without trying to jack my thread Leon was great, was younger then, rear seat leg room was ok, power delivery was huge shove in the back.but if you was off turbo it wasnt happening. Some scary morning pull outs in second while moving and having no boost, foot down, trying to get some, then it comes and its BYE... problem was it could have been too late. You get used to it, but what you tend to do, is ride the clutch a little. Not good for the clutch but in a fully maintained car, no bother. The turbo went after 45k however, but it had a hard life. I got 67mpg on a long run, trying very hard thou. Perfect car for a small family. Never had MPG down below 29mpg, if you do you'd die first on public roads!

Id have another however, its just not big enough and the leg room width wise in the front was quite narrow, plus no arm rest done my head in, and standard stereo is cassette with a disc changer that takes up the whole glovebox literally! Other than that, it was perfect! lol...

I missed cruise control too... it was an extra!

In my experience in the TSI (petrol) I find it averages about 30mpg (driven without much thought of economy).

I had a 2.0 diesel Volvo V50 previously (same engine as Mondeo I think) which did about 40mpg under similar driving.

So to cut a long story short whilst the petrol is obviously thirsty compared to the diesel perhaps not as much difference as you might expect.

Factor in the extra few pennies for a litre of diesel and the costs are closer still.

About 80litres extra fuel at 10K miles pa? maybe £100ish? or £300 over the three years.

If I were you I'd take the petrol one with the maintenance unless you intend to do big miles, but I'm biased of course :D

Edited by juan27

I do lots of v.short trips and the occasional lengthy one, still managing to av. just over 30mpg.

I'd say 10k was borderline for the decision, but think of it this way, petrol is *never* going to get cheaper, so if you want to have some proper fun, go for it now.

Personally on those miles I'd go for petrol. I came from a Leon 150 TDI (the power delivery was quite brutal, but it felt faster than the 170 vRS because of it, though clearly it wasn't) but was doing far fewer miles, and when you factored in things like DPF, DMF and other things it made sense to get petrol. On the way home in winter (5 miles) the car didn't even get fully warm, so what chance would I have with DPF?

I do about 10k a year in a petrol, average around the 32mpg mark. (50/50 split between town and motorway)

A run from wales to heathrow last week, cruise set at 70mph saw 39mpg average (early hours)

Usually costs about 65 quid to fill, and get around 350 per tank

So not too bad.....

Steve

Petrol

With a mileage like yours I wouldn't even be thinking about it... trouble is I do three times that so it was a diesel for me, however, I'm looking more and more at petrol for the next car especially if the economy gap decreases any more and the price differential between unleaded and diesel grows again...

May be showing my age here, but when I first got a diesel car the fuel was cheaper than unleaded...

I do around 10k a year and good the CR vrs (had a pd vrs before that) and had no issues with DPF or DMF etc. I tend to get around 42-46mpg on my usual run to work (10miles) and 52-55mpg on a long run. This gives me a minimum of 420 miles from a tank but often closer to 500 miles. Hence I save a fair bit in fuel (only need to fill up every 3 weeks or so where it was 2 weeks with my Mk1 petrol vrs). If you like the way the diesel drives then I would see no reason why you would not get one. You can also add the maintenance and tyres bit for around £30 a month (this is what I have done with my CR VRS).

If you do motorway driving and have cruise on then the fuel return is even better.

I cruised (where I could) from Heathrow to Bournemouth this afternoon sitting in sixth gear and doing about 75 and my petrol Octavia averaged 40.1mpg by the time I got home.

Spoke to a mate, who is in the same boat with different cars for different reasons.

I don't know where my heart lies... I literally do 1000 miles per year max for work... the rest is just going places... visiting friends ...

Its more likely to be 7000miles per year, but contracted for a few more as a contingency... best guess...

My civic type R... thou I loved it only did 13k in 2 years... however, it was fine when i was single but I had to chin it to get the best out of it, and everyone kept telling me off for driving like a loon.

I want a car that is fun, but you dont have to rag to get the best out of it... like the leon cupra... casually fast! or effortless!

Sounds like a petrol decision to me, based on what you've said use is going to be, and what you're expecting from it.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with either though :)

Im thinking it would be a petrol decision although i love the tdi, just dont know what to do

One thing i was also wondering, does anyone put a dog in the back of the vrs? have a border collie (a perfect dog)

So you guys would go for "basically" the white over the blue, there are no blue stock petrol vrs's! And im at the stage where I cant be arsed to wait! lol

I was looking at the bluetooth option but dont think i want to dampen the drive in the vrs by being on the phone...or wait 6 months for it... just want a new car... my pride and joy! :-)

One thing i was also wondering, does anyone put a dog in the back of the vrs? have a border collie (a perfect dog)

Our old collie travels in the back of my estate...some protection on the back bumper is needed to avoid scratches. I would imagine a medium sized dog will be ok in the hatch too.

I do around 10k a year and good the CR vrs (had a pd vrs before that) and had no issues with DPF or DMF etc. I tend to get around 42-46mpg on my usual run to work (10miles) and 52-55mpg on a long run. This gives me a minimum of 420 miles from a tank but often closer to 500 miles. Hence I save a fair bit in fuel (only need to fill up every 3 weeks or so where it was 2 weeks with my Mk1 petrol vrs). If you like the way the diesel drives then I would see no reason why you would not get one. You can also add the maintenance and tyres bit for around £30 a month (this is what I have done with my CR VRS).

Same here except pre recession my business mileage was around 15k. So I'm paying slightly more for diesel but do get 500+ to a tank and on those long trips, it means I don't have to to stop. My first Octy was a 1.8T and that barely got 360 out of a tank so it seems worth it to me but you must do the sums I think...

I'm in the same situation having moved from a 2003 1.8T vRS last year to the TDi. I don't do massive mileage per year, usually 10-12k, but I now get close to 500 miles per tank full compared to 350 in the 1.8T. 150 miles extra OS a considerable saving for a refuel costing only £3 more than petrol.

Mon-Fri the car is lucky to do more than 10 miles of town driving but at the weekend it'll usually get a motorway run of 40 miles each way or more and I've never had DPF issues.

Edited by sneeks

I'm in the same situation having moved from a 2003 1.8T vRS last year to the TDi. I don't do massive mileage per year, usually 10-20k, but I now get close to 500 miles per tank full compared to 350 in the 1.8T. 150 miles extra OS a considerable saving for a refuel costing only £3 more than petrol.

Mon-Fri the car is lucky to do more than 10 miles of town driving but at the weekend it'll usually get a motorway run of 40 miles each way or more and I've never had DPF issues.

I saw 500 out of a tank once in 2 years on my cr, don't think it suited my driving style!

I'm going to add some facts here rather than feelings ;)

At current fuel prices (£1.36 for petrol, £1.40 for diesel) and returning 30mpg in the petrol and 42 in the diesel (these seem to be the averages that owners report) the petrol would cost 20.6p per mile in fuel, the diesel would cost 15.2p per mile.

If you did 8k a year, that equates to a saving of £1300 over the three years with the diesel.

In that time the car would need one service (~£200?) and two maybe four tyres (£300-£600). So with the maintenance pack included on the petrol you'd be saving £500-£800 if you went with the diesel.

So if it's a purely financial decision, even at your relatively low miles the diesel wins by £500-£800 over the three years.

If that sort of difference isn't significant to you then it comes down to which colour you prefer and which engine you prefer to drive!

The petrol car will also need servicing and possibly new tyres so savings should be more from running the diesel.

Yeah, but the prices he is quoting include maintenance for the petrol car but not the diesel so he won't have to pay for it if he choses the petrol.

Yeah, but the prices he is quoting include maintenance for the petrol car but not the diesel so he won't have to pay for it if he choses the petrol.

Good point, I was forgetting your comment related to the original request :)