petrol vRS MPG

See pic, a healthy 46mpg on a morning run from Glasgow to Edinburgh, the M8 generally moves at a steady 55-60mph in the morning peak hour. Sure there will be a bit of in accuracy in the reading but even so a petrol vRS is not that thirsty if you drive nice and easy.

250451_10150220262727071_694377070_7098283_6992620_n.jpg

Judging by the dash that'll be a TSI then.

Just for comparison, since I do the Glasgow - Edinburgh run alot, I can get 38-39 mpg at a steady 70 with the older TFSI engine. That's on a calm day. A headwind or tailwind can make a few mpgs difference.

See pic, a healthy 46mpg on a morning run from Glasgow to Edinburgh, the M8 generally moves at a steady 55-60mph in the morning peak hour. Sure there will be a bit of in accuracy in the reading but even so a petrol vRS is not that thirsty if you drive nice and easy.

250451_10150220262727071_694377070_7098283_6992620_n.jpg

I have the exact same vehicle.

In some misguided attempt to see what mpg I could get

I drove from Leeds to Hull yesterday like Miss Daisy, 70mph all the way on cruise, even switched the air con off (sweating like a rapist) best I could get was 40 mpg.

I'm now worried that something that never particularly bothered me has become an unwanted obsession and every opportunity I get I will embark on some masarcistic experiment. Threads like this should be banned

I set average 2 just before accerating hard up the longish slip road onto the motorway this morning and when it actually showed a figure (after a mile or so maybe?) saw 7.9mpg average!

I'm happy with mine, drive a good mix of town, A roads and M-ways for work stuff and average between 35-40 mpg most of the time (with the petrol Tsi latest generation vRS engine that was put in the LE model). If I drove like I didn't have a vRS then I'm sure it would be even better :giggle:

I too have the TSI engine, and what a fine engine it is :thumbup:

Basically round town I get 30mpg, on longer runs up to 40ish, and everything in between.

As we all have the same engine, surely it follows that it will perform the same (unless its faulty). Any deviations are down to how hard you press the fast pedal, and where you drive. :dull:

I have an average of 35.4mpg on my tsi and I am enthusiastic and don't use the motorway, now as I came from a 3.0 V6 diesel that had an average of 37mpg the change to petrol sweetness has cost me nothing.

I admire your restraint. I too have an FL TSi and I'm getting around 33mpg. Belive it or not this is an improvement, which I think is mainly down to not using the cruise control. Now, if I could just leave the pedal on the right hand side alone, I reckon I might hit 40mpg. Doh! I guess that's what the CC is for!

My overall average in my tfsi vrs since I bought the car (a few thousand miles) is around 22-23mpg. Which is a mixture of long motorway runs, some town driving and the odd blast.

On a motorway run I can get low - mid 30's at 150-200 miles.

I'm not running a standard car though so I think the mpg figures I get a pretty reasonable B)

Run from B'Ham to Bournemouth and back 2 weeks ago saw my average at 43mpg (TFSi) and made my overall average go up top 34mpg (usually sits about 31mpg)

Overall for the performance (no change in mpg if mapped) this is one hell of an engine.

Fair enough if I cane in everywhere it will see mid/low 20's but do that in say a Focus ST and you will see low teens

I managed one similar figure on a 50ish mile run on slow but flowing roads. I could never do that sort of thing as an "experiment" however, the temptation to squirt the throttle is as always too great!

Overall I've very happy with the 31-32ish normal average I get, given i drive the tits off it whenever I can.

:D

My overall average in my tfsi vrs since I bought the car (a few thousand miles) is around 22-23mpg. Which is a mixture of long motorway runs, some town driving and the odd blast.

On a motorway run I can get low - mid 30's at 150-200 miles.

I'm not running a standard car though so I think the mpg figures I get a pretty reasonable B)

On stage 3 I will average throughout the year at around 31 mpg.

Stage 1 was 32 mpg, This is mostly A road driving. I would cry at your figures.

Long term average is at 35.0 right now. Commuting I can get between 35-41mpg on a single carriageway road, little stop starting.

Got 30mpg the other week when in a 'hurry' to get to Al Murray in Aberdeen which I thought was really quite impressive.

Ditto to the above.

Does seem to go in phases though. Went through a period a month or two back where I was regularly seeing 40 on a run but it now seems to have dropped back to mid 30's.

Similarly with performance. Some days it feels on it and silky smooth while others it seems harsh and a bit underwhelming.

Perhaps I just have a moody car.

On stage 3 I will average throughout the year at around 31 mpg.

Stage 1 was 32 mpg, This is mostly A road driving. I would cry at your figures.

I dont know how you have managed to get those returns :o

Maybe my new HPFP will help increase the mpg?????

I dont know how you have managed to get those returns :o

Maybe my new HPFP will help increase the mpg?????

Yep. Typically in winter I get 31mpg but in summer I get a self calculated 33-34mpg and that includes a daily 15 minute commute up the Yorkshire wolds.

What stage are you and what tuner? My old stage 2 didn't give many mpg but the stage 3 is a lot better.

I set average 2 just before accerating hard up the longish slip road onto the motorway this morning and when it actually showed a figure (after a mile or so maybe?) saw 7.9mpg average!

Thats my next challange... how low can i get the mpg figure :rock:

Thats my next challange... how low can i get the mpg figure :rock:

Don't forget that was Average 2, not instantaneous...

I drove from Leeds to Hull yesterday like Miss Daisy, 70mph all the way on cruise, even switched the air con off (sweating like a rapist) best I could get was 40 mpg.

That's almost exactly my experience when I tried 70 on the cruise first thing after the famous lol claimed 50mpg under similar conditions. He later backtracked a bit IIRC.

Edited by juan27

Yep. Typically in winter I get 31mpg but in summer I get a self calculated 33-34mpg and that includes a daily 15 minute commute up the Yorkshire wolds.

What stage are you and what tuner? My old stage 2 didn't give many mpg but the stage 3 is a lot better.

Thats interesting as I would have expected the opposite.

What were you getting from your old stage (stage 2?).

Thats interesting as I would have expected the opposite.

What were you getting from your old stage (stage 2?).

I didn't have that map on long enough to find out properly, put it this way I drove down to Stratford from Hull and my trip computer said 33mpg average, on the way back with stage 3 it said 38.5 mpg average.

If you have the pump you need the 130bar stage 2+ (stage 3) map to get full use of it. Oh and if you boot it a lot MPG drops like a stone, much more than stage 1 which I suppose you would expect.

Yep thats everything I would expect.

Since getting the car ive left No2 on the computer to do an overall average based on total miles. I reset no1 on different journeys to compare. Best I can get on a motorway run is low 30'2 but as I said my overall average is realistically low 20'2.

Whats more dissapointing is you are on stage 3 and getting about 10mpg more and I dont even give it much stick. Ocassionally i'll acclerate hard on a slip road or going for an overtake but generally i'm sticking to the speed limit as a maximum and driving with mpg in mind.

Oh well, looks like thats the way it is for me.

On a slightly different topic what about oil consumption?