Vibration through the steering wheel ~65mph

Hi

I'm new here and posting a 2nd thread requesting information about a possible fault.

We just bought our first Skoda - a 2008 (57) Octavia Elegance Estate 2.0TDi. It was bought from a non-franchise dealer. Mileage was pretty high for the age at 97,000 but the car looks immaculate and has full Skoda history. We've added a few miles with a road trip to Holland.

We've noticed that around 65mph we get a slight vibration felt through the steering wheel. You can hear it and feel it a little too. We've had the same experience with other cars and it's never bothered us too much, but this car is our pride and joy so we want to make sure it's nothing serious.

It could be simply wheel balance. It could be wheel bearings. It could be all sorts of things I guess.

Another symptom that may be relevant is that we get a groaning noise when moving at slow speeds and steering harshly to one side (might be both, I'm not sure). It doesn't always occur and only lasts for about 1 wheel rotation. I can't easily describe the sound though I would say it sounds like the front brake pads are wet and rubbing against the discs - although I don't think this should make any noise.

This could be a wheel bearing issue? Or could it be the power steering pump struggling at low revs?

Any thoughts?

Rich

Have you had the wheelsweights checked at a garage and a complete 4 wheel alignment (find some where with hawk eye). I had a similar problem with mine until got the tracking sorted it runs like new now

Thanks Rob, we'll do that asap. Any ideas how to find a Hawkeye garage?

I'm taking the car back to the dealer that I bought it from next week.

He thinks the groaning noise could be the power steering pump labouring due to low revs. However, I don't believe that it's normal for a steering pump to make this noise. So, if it's faulty I want it repaired under warranty.

Anybody got any thoughts on his theory?

you could try your local skoda dealer

this is the place i used but a bit far from you

http://www.discounttyresuk.co.uk/4wheelalignment.html

Well you could eliminate the steering pump by turning the steering wheel extreme to extreme without moving the car. If there is no noise when standing still and it only happens when you are moving then its not the power steering pump.

There was a recent post about the rubber drive couplings causing a noise like that.

Hi, I've had cars in the past where the power steering pump makes groaning/squealing noises when the engine is idling, however they were old old cars and I have to say this shouldn't happen on a newer car even with 90000 miles. I'm not sure how the power steering pump on octy's are run but I'm sure someone here could verify, could it be a loose drive belt?

Anyway as someone else has already posted, for the low costs involved a wheel balance and 4 wheel alignment would be a good starting point.

One question though, does the steering have a noticeable dead spot in the middle? say quarter of a turn each way which has no effect on the wheels? If so this might eman a worn steering rack.

I'm taking the car back to the dealer that I bought it from next week.

He thinks the groaning noise could be the power steering pump labouring due to low revs. However, I don't believe that it's normal for a steering pump to make this noise. So, if it's faulty I want it repaired under warranty.

Anybody got any thoughts on his theory?

The Octavia has electro-mechanical power steering - it doesn't have a pump!

OK, so the pump theory is out of the window! That explains why I can't find the reservoir to top it up!

I jacked up the front today and attempted to wiggle the wheels to check for bearing issues. No movement. I did notice that the brake pads are rubbing on the discs slightly - is that normal?

I also notice a reasonably deep cut in one of the tyres so I should get that sorted soon.