1.2 TSI - DSG Software update

Great Yeti

I had a call two weeks ago from our Å koda dealer (Robinsons of Norwich). Alex, the very knowledgeable and nice young man who sold us the car called to check that we were happy and how was the car etc now we had had it over six months. We spoke for a little while and I happened to mention that very occasionally (only twice) we had experienced a very slight surging of the engine when starting from cold. Typically it would surge about 100 / 150 RPM for the first minute or so. I had seen a couple of other people mention it here on Briskoda, but the effect was so slight I was not at all concerned about it and knew that it would be picked up and rectified on a service sometime. “We are very busy at present†said Alex,“but let us have a look at it when it is convenientâ€. So last week we had to go into the Norwich and called ahead to Robinsons Å koda . “Bring it in and we will check it outâ€. So I did.

I was allowed into the service bay to watch! They plugged it into the diagnostic equipment and analyzed the whole car. NO faults found! They then checked for advisory bulletins from Å koda UK – Nothing on thesystem – all should be well! But the engineer said as I had seen something on Briskoda he said “I think he [the car] should talk to his mother back in Czechoslovakiaâ€. So he connected everything up and “Tigger†called home, just like ET. Well it was worth the effort as there was a new software upgrade for the car and the ECU. All downloaded direct onto the car. The result? - the car is completely different!!!!

Previously you had to be careful in 1st gear as you pulled away. Acceleration was quite fierce, you had to learn to be VERY gentle or the wheels would feel like they were trying to spin before the traction control could catch it. Now acceleration is very smooth and I think that the engine is possibly smoother running than before. Also, occasionally the DSG would pause momentarily when shifting between D & R. No more! Gear change is superb! Well done Robinsons! Excellent service and really cheerful and helpful staff. Well done Å koda CZ for continuing to improve an already impressive vehicle.

(It may be imagination but the MaxiDot seems to be showing a slight improvement in miles-per-gallon. My Full to Full figures will eventually prove this one way or the other. Currently averaging 42MPG on country roads –Full to Full figures.....)

THE GREAT YETI

On the basis of what you've said I'll go to my local dealer and report your findings. I have the same surge on take off, occasional similarities on the change and a mpg figure less than spectacular (although I daren't bring it up again!).

Ta for that.

Edited by oldstan

This is interesting. Could you ask "Tigger" if the upgrade software applies to other tsi models, in particular octavia 1.8? Thanks

Hi Flinflon.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you what updates are available without plugging your car into a full diagnostic facility. Upgrades seem to appear on a fairly frequent basis but whether one would apply to your vehicle would depend on quite a number of variables: Model - Engine - Gearbox - ECU manufacturer (this does vary even on same spec. cars) - etc etc. Sorry - don't think I can help (would if I could)............Tony

THE GREAT YETI

On the basis of what you've said I'll go to my local dealer and report your findings. I have the same surge on take off, occasional similarities on the change and a mpg figure less than spectacular (although I daren't bring it up again!).

Ta for that.

You are most welcome! - Hope it works for you. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

As I said before, the car is so completely different!!!!! When we originally got the car back in September last year. The dealer checked our vehicle very thoroughly, and we did have the very latest software on board at that time. I remember the engineer remarked that the software version had only been released the week before (Build week 33 - MY 2011) So anyone with a similar vehicle or older will probably get the new software at their next service, and of course it may apply to newer versions as well..........................regards, Tony

THE GREAT YETI

Went to see local dealer today re. the above. Looked my car up - no updates available. But did say I could make an appointment and go in and "dial up" Milton Keynes to get any 'specific information' that may be available. Didn't seem to follow the Czek connection. Usually reserved for cases of a specific complaint about something on the car but said he'd happily do it.

I said I'd leave it and put a few more miles on and go back to have it done a bit later. Or if something crops up and needs looking at they'll do it at the same time.

Quite happy with the response given that the car's OK but not fabulous on pulling away and very occasionally jerks during a gearchange. If it was worse, he'd look at it, so no complaints. He said 33 mpg isn't bad for a heavy car.

Went to see local dealer today re. the above. Looked my car up - no updates available. But did say I could make an appointment and go in and "dial up" Milton Keynes to get any 'specific information' that may be available. Didn't seem to follow the Czek connection. Usually reserved for cases of a specific complaint about something on the car but said he'd happily do it.

I said I'd leave it and put a few more miles on and go back to have it done a bit later. Or if something crops up and needs looking at they'll do it at the same time.

Quite happy with the response given that the car's OK but not fabulous on pulling away and very occasionally jerks during a gearchange. If it was worse, he'd look at it, so no complaints. He said 33 mpg isn't bad for a heavy car.

Hi Stan!

Your story is similar to the first part of my original post - Nothing known etc. But when the engineer got "Tigger" to phone home to the factory it was a totally different story. I expect yours might prove the same when you do finally get "Plugged-in" - hope so emoticon-0148-yes.gif

When you read here on Briskoda about other members experiences, it is quite amazing the difference in attitude and competence that different dealers have. I guess I was very lucky with my choice of dealer.

33mpg does not sound good! even around some of your picturesque West Country roads. We are fairly rural here in Sunny Norfolk and 10 / 12 miles is a longish run for us and as I said, we are averaging 42mpg. I don't think I would put off them checking out the car for too long - my wallet is aching for you already emoticon-0136-giggle.gif - Hope it all works out soon.................Tony

Hi Stan!

Your story is similar to the first part of my original post - Nothing known etc. But when the engineer got "Tigger" to phone home to the factory it was a totally different story. I expect yours might prove the same when you do finally get "Plugged-in" - hope so emoticon-0148-yes.gif

When you read here on Briskoda about other members experiences, it is quite amazing the difference in attitude and competence that different dealers have. I guess I was very lucky with my choice of dealer.

33mpg does not sound good! even around some of your picturesque West Country roads. We are fairly rural here in Sunny Norfolk and 10 / 12 miles is a longish run for us and as I said, we are averaging 42mpg. I don't think I would put off them checking out the car for too long - my wallet is aching for you already emoticon-0136-giggle.gif - Hope it all works out soon.................Tony

Yes, I'm sure you're right....I need to pursue the point.

I'll ring to make an appointment.

EDIT Just made one. Middle of July.

Edited by oldstan

Yes, I'm sure you're right....I need to pursue the point.

I'll ring to make an appointment.

EDIT Just made one. Middle of July.

emoticon-0148-yes.gif Hope it works!!!! Let me (us) know the result?............Tony

Hi Flinflon.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you what updates are available without plugging your car into a full diagnostic facility. Upgrades seem to appear on a fairly frequent basis but whether one would apply to your vehicle would depend on quite a number of variables: Model - Engine - Gearbox - ECU manufacturer (this does vary even on same spec. cars) - etc etc. Sorry - don't think I can help (would if I could)............Tony

THE GREAT YETI

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

emoticon-0148-yes.gif Hope it works!!!! Let me (us) know the result?............Tony

And the result is.................

Checked in the workshop on the diagnostic machine and taken for a test drive today. Nothing unusual for a DSG. No updates available. No problem with it. No mention of trying to get an update from SUK. By this point I'd given up any further hope of any more investigative work and agreed to simply use it and if it gets worse, take it back, which they are happy enough to do and I'll carry on unless it gets worse. Perfectly polite service and returned when promised.

The lag on accelerating after braking for ,say, a roundabout was there, but a 'characteristic' and nothing to be done. The Maxidot mpg showed a 'satisfactory' 36mpg during the test drive and there's nothing further to be done.

The end!