In your opinion, what what be the best detailing kit I could own

There are lots and lots of variables and also lots of different opinions.

You need to decide what you want to clean, protect and possibly correct and how much time you want to spend on your car weekly or every couple of weeks/months.

the basics:

two buckets

lambswool mitt

pressure washer.

decent shampoo like Meguairs Gold Class

Microfibre drying towel

Then you will have variations on that that will possibly include more things like a snowfoam lance (not for everyone's taste), Polish like AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish, a Sealant like AutoGlym's Extra Gloss Protection and Wax like Collinite 476's, a claybar and some Detailing Spray.

The question is a bit too ambiguous really.

You need to ask yourself some key questions to help you get the best results from the good people here.

If it were me, I'd want the paint to be in the best condition to receive the protection I want to put down. After a two bucket wash and if you dont have ANY swirls you can jump straight to a clay, polish, sealant and two coats of wax. This process will also mask(depending on polish) light swirls.

Heavier swirls will require an abrasive polish/compound to correct which can be done by hand but is much easier and quicker with a machine polisher.

Tyre's, all plastics and all rubbers can be treated with something like AutoGlym's Vinyl and Rubber care, although there will also be good products that will be specific to those areas but at a higher cost.

The glass can be clayed and cleaned first, then sealed with Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass or G3 Clear Vision Glass Coat - these are like RainX but a whole lot better, they also wont need doing again for 30k of driving.

Autosol for exhaust trims.

Scotchguard or something similar to protect the interior cloths.

Its quite a minefield and can take hours and days to complete to a high standard.

or

do the basics and keep the car looking clean and protected with wax.

Its all in the 'Detail'.

http://detailingworld.co.uk/

Edited by prolfe

just get yourself

2 buckets. don't need to be 20 pound super duty branded buckets. 2 cheapo ones will do

Good washmitt. lambswool or a noodle mitt

Good shampoo, the megs range is very good however it can degrade the LSP. try BriteMAX cleanmax. currently getting good review on detailing world

Clay Bar, i would go for the bilt hamber clay bar as it only require water as a lubricant rather than using litres of detailing spray.

Glaze to fill in any swirl marks, something like Autoglym SRP

Wax/Sealant. no need to get both. personally i use Finish Kare 1000p as it can be used for paint, rims and exhausts. also it comes in a massive tub @14.5oz compared to most waxes @8oz. also got good durability and 2 coats can last a good 3-4 months.

get a good quick detailing spray in order to help maintain the wax/sealant between applications and also to use as a drying aid to prevent water spotting.

then you just need a selection a microfibres for odd jobs and for drying

I've got a Fabia VRS with plenty of swirl marks/minor scratches & the paint on the rear spoiler is fading. If this sounds daft, it's probably because I am but...

What order do you do everything in & what will achieve the best results?

It would seem I have a 'not bad' kit already, I use only 1 bucket tho, what's with the 2? I also have a fairly cheap shampoo so may well upgrade, also, If I had a foam lance what would I use with it and at what stage of the cleaning? I have meguiars clay bar kit with quick detail spray as lube, and meguiars carnuba wax, also a large selection of micro fibre cloths for various jobs, i also use a meguiars dash shine which is fantastic and lasts for weeks I guess I just need some other bits to complete my kit!

people use the 2 buckets in order to prevent dirty water and dirt being put on the car. you have one bucket of clear water and your other bucket with your shampoo mix. First off you soak your mitt in the wash solution and begin washing the car. Then, before dunking the wash mitt back into the wash solution, you rinse it out in the second bucket of fresh water - this rinses out the dirt and grit particles from this mitt so that they cannot come into contact with your paint, reducing the number of swirls inflicted.

through the foam lance you can put through your normal shampoo or a dedicated snow foam. This would be done before you start washing the car using your washmitt in order to remove as much dirt as possible from the car. TBH you can normally skip this out as most snow foam's don't really do anything apart from soften the dirt. however it is possible to achieve a touchless wash with a good snow foam and pressure washer.

this is what i use

Britemax clean max shampoo - body work

Wolfs Chemicals Deironiser - alloys

Finish kare #425 quick detailer

Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze - Fill swirls

Finish Kare 1000p - sealant for alloys and paintwork.

then once a month a will go over the interior and exterior trim with 303 aerospace protectant and dress the tires with Meguiars high endurance tire gel

people use the 2 buckets in order to prevent dirty water and dirt being put on the car. you have one bucket of clear water and your other bucket with your shampoo mix. First off you soak your mitt in the wash solution and begin washing the car. Then, before dunking the wash mitt back into the wash solution, you rinse it out in the second bucket of fresh water - this rinses out the dirt and grit particles from this mitt so that they cannot come into contact with your paint, reducing the number of swirls inflicted.

through the foam lance you can put through your normal shampoo or a dedicated snow foam. This would be done before you start washing the car using your washmitt in order to remove as much dirt as possible from the car. TBH you can normally skip this out as most snow foam's don't really do anything apart from soften the dirt. however it is possible to achieve a touchless wash with a good snow foam and pressure washer.

this is what i use

Britemax clean max shampoo - body work

Wolfs Chemicals Deironiser - alloys

Finish kare #425 quick detailer

Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze - Fill swirls

Finish Kare 1000p - sealant for alloys and paintwork.

then once a month a will go over the interior and exterior trim with 303 aerospace protectant and dress the tires with Meguiars high endurance tire gel

Fantastic, thanks Anthony :)

How I personally do it...

Engine first ;) - unipart traffic film remover with a hard brush. I find a paint brush works best

Wheels second - Wolfs brake duster, AS Tardis and CG APC (1:10)

Whilst that is working away I spray parts of the body work with APC and leave it dwell for a bit whilst I clean of the wheels.

Body work - snoaw foam, rinse off, PW common high build areas, 2BM using a lambs wool mitt and CG Gloos works, rinsed off and then water dried, ultra plush towel to catch the extra bits.

Finish with a QD to top up and remove any hard water stains. Flash window cleaner done with a microfibre pad.

For protection...

I was using collinite 915 with CG pro detailer but switched to gtechniq C2 after it run out and the C2 destroyed the wax.

So I am now using going back to basics

Polishing deep to start with followed by R222 paint cleaner and sealing with Poorboys EX-P sealant. Need to find a new quick detailer to match now.

Thanks for that. What about taking the wheels off to get at the green calipers. Any suggestions how to clean these?

Once you have the wheels off and the main brake muck cleaned off with the suggested wheel cleaner and brush; dry off and then use AutoGlym SRP on the caliper paint. Brings it up a treat and restores a nice deep colour once again! Thanks to Bluvrs2 for that tip. :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Hi fellow members,

Have only ever polished a car when I was younger but am now a pensioner with a bad back and limited budget.

On Tuesday, with great delight I ordered a new Superb Elegance in Rosso Brunello Metallic and take delivery in January.

I was offered the Supaguard service but it seems such a rip-off to me when the materials are only around a tenner so am seeking advice on preserving the paint finish on my new car, given that I shall have to drive it home over salted roads given the snow we have had in my part of the country (Peak District).

I can manage to pressure wash but never seem to shift the road grease and to wash with a sponge and water is a very painful experience. However, I realise the old adage - no pain, no gain, so will have to put some manual effort in, but would like tyo keep it to a minimum.

I have a pressure washer and an Argos rotary polisher that I can use.

Can someone kindly lay it out in laymans terms what is the best way to go about this, given that I am not going to enter the car in a 'concours' show, just want to keep it looking nice.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Emberto :wonder:

• 1 month later...