Post by revo ref: known 1.4TSI faults

Interested and helpful post by revo here which they pass onto all their dealers reference tuning the 1.4TSI and known issues. And

Something I've written up for our dealers:

Re: 1.4TSI - Twincharger Known Engine Issues to be aware of prior to reflashing a vehicle

Vehicles: SEAT Ibiza FR' date=' Cupra, Boconegra

VW Golf MKVI

VW Scirocco

VW Polo Gti

Skoda Fabia VRS

This document is a collation of engine issues that have been seen on the newer generation Euro5 compliant 1.4TSI – Twincharger engines. Certain issues have been addressed by the manufacturer as described below.

If you see any vehicle with these issues DO NOT flash Revo software onto the ECU without the issues being rectified.

• Misfiring when cold and vehicle is in warm up state – factory update issued

• Misfiring due to faulty coilpacks – certain batches of coilpacks were recognised as faulty and would be replaced under warranty

• Misfiring due to faulty plugs

• Misfiring due to faulty injectors – there was an injector part number change early 2010 newer injectors are believed to have a more efficient spray pattern to prevent excessive depositing on the piston crown. Injectors were also changed to solve misfire issue along with a factory software update.

• Water Pump Failures

• Crankshaft bearing play which can lead to bore wear and piston/piston ring damage

NOTE: there have been numerous cases where completely standard vehicles have suffered from misfires and un-burnt fuel in the cylinder has caused bore-wash leading to piston/piston ring damage.

Not all vehicles suffer from these issues however it’s very important to be aware of the issues prior to flashing the vehicle so you can look out for symptoms of any potential problems. Any issue seen on a standard vehicle will be accentuated if the vehicle is run at a higher level of tune.[/quote']

I think I have the cold start misfire when in the warm up state. As its pretty rough for the first 30 seconds, but smooth as a whistle after. And the only 2 times I've had the misfire flash was directly after jumping in the car from cold and shooting straight of with no warm up period at all.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

Edited by janner_Sy

Interested and helpful post by revo here which they pass onto all their dealers reference tuning the 1.4TSI and known issues. And

I think I have the cold start misfire when in the warm up state. As its pretty rough for the first 30 seconds, but smooth as a whistle after. And the only 2 times I've had the misfire flash was directly after jumping in the car from cold and shooting straight of with no warm up period at all.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

How would you describe the misfire? Mine sometimes when setting off from cold feels like it judders at low speed, I thought it could the DSG clunking strangely into second but you have got me thinking now...

Do any engine management lights flash when it happens?

Cheers

Hi mate,

How would you describe the misfire? Mine sometimes when setting off from cold feels like it judders at low speed, I thought it could the DSG clunking strangely into second but you have got me thinking now...

Do any engine management lights flash when it happens?

Cheers

start the engine, leave it in park and you can feel and hear the engine rocking and fluttering (from cold it raises the revs to circa 1200rpm till its warm). Mines more vocal due to the induction kit and exhaust though so i will hear it more than most. but once the revs have dropped to the normal 800rpm after about 30 secs its as smooth as a whistle

no engine management lights flash when it does this. the 2 times i have had the flashing emissions light for the misfire were after i jumped in and drove off without the warmup period.

This is the most recent post today from revo on SCN

quote:REVOKev

There is yet another batch of 1.4TSI updates out right now at the main dealer!

Edited by janner_Sy

start the engine, leave it in park and you can feel and hear the engine rocking and fluttering (from cold it raises the revs to circa 1200rpm till its warm). Mines more vocal due to the induction kit and exhaust though so i will hear it more than most. but once the revs have dropped to the normal 800rpm after about 30 secs its as smooth as a whistle

no engine management lights flash when it does this. the 2 times i have had the flashing emissions light for the misfire were after i jumped in and drove off without the warmup period.

This is the most recent post today from revo on SCN

Hmmm, I've had what feels like a slight vibration at cold before. Not all the time.

It normally idles at about 1200 like you said then drops down.

The thing is with software updates too is that I reckon the dealer will know nothing about it and just keep fobbing me off.

I think they all vibrate/judder when its colder too - for example when I leave for work in the morning its a bit rougher. When I leave work in the afternoon its fine. Maybe because its been sitting it 20 degree + heat though.

I think they all vibrate/judder when its colder too - for example when I leave for work in the morning its a bit rougher. When I leave work in the afternoon its fine. Maybe because its been sitting it 20 degree + heat though.

i concur, mine is a bit rougher when cold, it certainly isn't enough to make me go to the dealer unless I get faced with the missfire light.

I've noticed judders too! Glad someone has brought this up, think i'm away to wash the car and nip over to Skoda with it just now as I've a couple of other little things I want sorted! (trim and stuff...)

Dealers are keeping the car in on Wednesday night.

This is so they can try and preplicate the fault on start up from cold on Thursday.

John

• 8 years later...

Bump.

Just for those that buy a Mk2 Fabia vRS and have issues and talk to Skoda Customer Services or Dealership staff and they have never heard of any issues or any attempted fixes by Skoda / VW / Audi / SEAT.

They just started in the job or have the usual VW Group trait.

The_three_monkeys.jpg.e6b5fbe6aa91b24664e82a0d4fa63dfc.jpg.1e103eb63c6685b6ffb8d3bc37d42fea.jpg

Edited by Roottootemoot