How To: Change Brake Pedal Switch

Hey all, I did this recently without problem, and usually i'm a DIY retard! I found that the Haynes manual wasn't a great help, so I thought I'd put this up here.

There's a fairly technical description Here, with photo's; it is outdated in some places unfortunately.

Symptoms : Flashing glowplug light

Suspicion: Broken brake pedal switch (a common problem on the Fabia)

Diagnostic Proceedure: Stand on brake pedal, get friend (or suitably positioned mirror!), check for brake lights.

Solution : Replace switch!

Part no. 1J0 945 511 F (main dealer will have correct part if this had been superseeded - £15 approx)

Hex screwdriver (size 20 I think)

Time: 30-60 mins

And now for the layman's "how-to"

*Disconnect headlight switch - detailed in Haynes, but basically turn to between "off" and "dipped", push, fiddle, swear, fiddle - eventually it will release!

*Remove screws from large fascia panel below steering wheel

*Pop off fuse cover and undo the exposed screws - cover with a bag in case of drizzle!

*Remove black trim piece between steering wheel and dash - try to grip with fingers, slip, bang hands, swear and try again. Remove the exposed screw

*Remove fascia panel carefully - A/C hose to can-chiller will still be attached. Dettach it!

*Feel around above brake pedal to locate the switch

*Unplug brakelight switch

*Swtich unit can now be rotated through 45 degrees to allow removal

*Fit new switch#, attach plug - CHECK BRAKELIGHTS WORK!

*Reattach fascia panel in reverse

*Undo screws and make a better job of realigning trim than on first attempt!

*Sit back with a cool beverage of your choice enjoying the £45 pound saving you have just made

#the above guide is based on a superceeded part and mentions holding the switch in a specific position when refitting - this is no longer necessary, the updated part does not require this. A photo of the new part is on this page.

I hope this will be of some help to fellow Briskodians!

PL

Edited by phantomlurker