Octavia SE Plus or 1.8 TSI Engine

Hi All,

Has anyone got a SE Plus model or the 1.8 TSI engine?

Just wondering what your opinions are on the SE Plus or the engine? Pleased with it? Engine giving good economy? I imagine the 1.8 should be quite perky?

I'm quite interested in the model so would appreciate any owners insight.

Thanks in advance,

Dougall

I've got a 1.4 TSI in SE Plus trim it replaced a 1.6 Fsi in Elegance trim.

Things I like:

Engine - So much better than the 1.6FSI

Stereo - Amundsen unit is great, sat nav works very well

Bluetooth - works very well

Wheels - A lot nicer than the standard wheels imo

Things I miss:

Cruise control - didn't use it that often but miss it in the 50mph average speed camera zones!

Armrest - havent got used to not having an armrest yet.

Hi All,

Just wondering what your opinions are on the SE Plus or the engine? Pleased with it? Engine giving good economy? I imagine the 1.8 should be quite perky?

Thanks in advance,

Dougall

Love the 1.8 TSI. It uses the same EA888 form as the TSI VRS which we have and I drive quite a lot too.

1.8 TSI works particularly well with the 7 DSG resulting in even better fuel consumption than the manual.

Currently getting 41.5 mpg on the computer which is about 39 mpg in reality. Like many people with company cars I do not pay for the fuel fully so less worried.

Engine has a massive spread of torque, better than any other engine Skoda uses bar the V6. Starts at 1500 rpm, max power at 4500 and revs to 6600/6800 depending on whether in full DSG, tiptronic or sports.

Even the 152 hp SE plus is hardly any slower.

Edited by lol

I've had a couple of 1.8 TSi Octavias. The first one was a 2007 Ambiente 1.8 TSI hatchback. It returned just under 30 mpg around town and I often saw just over 40 mpg on the motorway. The engine is quick and smooth, although a bit lacking in go below 2K revs.

I now own a 1.8 TSi Octavia 4x4 estate. My fuelly logo below reveals all regarding fuel economy. The 4x4 seems around 10% less fuel efficient that the 2WD model - extra weight / transmission losses I guess.

Thanks guys.

Eggman - I've not managed to see the Amundsen unit yet. Glad to here the sat nav is pretty decent, does the parking sensors show through the unit? Assume the bluetooth and MDI is working well for you? Know what you mean about the cruise control, I'd be interested in the estate so luckily gets the arm rest.

pinkpanther - not familar with the term EA888 form. what's that?

Things I miss:

Cruise control - didn't use it that often but miss it in the 50mph average speed camera zones!

Armrest - havent got used to not having an armrest yet.

Both very retro-fittable, cruise easily for ~£100, armrest less easy, for similar price if you can find the parts. Did it myself recently, will be able to find thread by searching through my content.

Got the 1.8 TSi (manual Estate). Nice engine. For me it returns between mid-high 30's on mixed driving up to very low 40's on a motorway run. Good for overtaking if you have it spooled up to 3500 rpm or so ready to let loose and go. Had mine remapped (Revo stage 1), makes for a more relaxed drive and stress-free overtaking as it pulls like a diesel from 2500 rpm but going all the way through to the limiter. No noticeable effect on average economy for me.

Thanks guys.

Eggman - I've not managed to see the Amundsen unit yet. Glad to here the sat nav is pretty decent, does the parking sensors show through the unit? Assume the bluetooth and MDI is working well for you? Know what you mean about the cruise control, I'd be interested in the estate so luckily gets the arm rest.

Yes, the parking sensors show on the screen, goes red when your very close. Yes Bluetooth was very easy to set up and pair with my iphone, can scroll through phonebook, recent call lists etc on the maxidot display using the steering wheel controls. Haven't had much of a play with the voice control yet. Yes MDI works well too, need an additional cable to connect to ipod or mp3 player etc, got an official skoda one off of ebay for about £12, cheaper than dealer wanted. Can scroll through playlists, albums, artists etc on the unit but not through the maxidot. Although the track names display on maxidot you can only skip tracks back and forth.

I'll be looking into getting cruise fitted soon when I can find someone near me to do it.

Eggman - sorry one last question if I may.

With the Amundsen, is it right that the sat nav disc is required in the unit all the time you want to use the nav. Does that mean you can't play a CD with nav on? I guess you would use thr MDI connection and play music through that?

I've had a couple of 1.8 TSi Octavias. The first one was a 2007 Ambiente 1.8 TSI hatchback. It returned just under 30 mpg around town and I often saw just over 40 mpg on the motorway. The engine is quick and smooth, although a bit lacking in go below 2K revs.

I now own a 1.8 TSi Octavia 4x4 estate. My fuelly logo below reveals all regarding fuel economy. The 4x4 seems around 10% less fuel efficient that the 2WD model - extra weight / transmission losses I guess.

can i ask if you have a scout or just a 4x4

what reason did you choose the one you have and not the other model (if you know what i mean)

Eggman - sorry one last question if I may.

With the Amundsen, is it right that the sat nav disc is required in the unit all the time you want to use the nav. Does that mean you can't play a CD with nav on? I guess you would use thr MDI connection and play music through that?

No problem. No you do not need the disc in all the time, you can copy the maps over from the CD to an SD card, there is an option for this on the actual amundsen unit. You put in an SD card and click the option to copy the maps over and it takes 30 mins or so. This frees up the CD drive for music. I've got a 4 gig card with the maps on, pretty sure you can put mp3 files on the same card too if you wish but i havent got round to doing this.

If you google "Amundsen manual" the pdf of the manual is there, might give you some more info, hope that helps.

Edited by Eggman

can i ask if you have a scout or just a 4x4

what reason did you choose the one you have and not the other model (if you know what i mean)

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ - at the time a Scout would have been £5K more!

Another bonus was the smaller wheels on the 4x4 meant a set of winter tyres didn't break the bank. I enquired about a set for my old Yeti and couldn't find anything less than £600 due to the size. I also looked around for some smaller steelies and these were like hens teeth.

The only equipment I really miss from previous cars is the MFSW and cruise control. The 4x4 is otherwise fairly well equipped. I think it's based on an SE, with a few extra bits of kit - dual climate, ESP, Autodimming rear view mirror and Autowipers.

I had a look at your Fuelly entry and the display is misleading. Your signature says your ave MPG is 30.8 whereas Fuelly says that is your best consumption, your average is 25.6!

I have the same model, 2010 Octavia 4x4 1.8TSi and you can see my results from Spirit Monitor, much more accurately depicted.

All said, it's a great car though. :thumbup:

Doh!!! :doh: Just noticed that Fuelly is in US gallons by default.....apologies to all. :S

I'll get me coat.

Edited by Phosphoric

I had a look at your Fuelly entry and the display is misleading. Your signature says your ave MPG is 30.8 whereas Fuelly says that is your best consumption, your average is 25.6!

I have the same model, 2010 Octavia 4x4 1.8TSi and you can see my results from Spirit Monitor, much more accurately depicted.

All said, it's a great car though. :thumbup:

Try setting the Fuelly to UK MPG ;)

I had a look at the Octavia SE+ in the flesh today.

Overall not a bad car, but if you paid full price it would be 18k and for this you don't even get front fog lights or a centre arm rest. The VAT free and 0% finance is a good deal but because it only applies to stock models or those in the pipeline you can't even add them as optional extras.

Like the others, I have 58 reg 1.8TSi Elegance hatch - much better than previously owned 2.0FSi, feels a bit like my first Mk 1 vRS but much nicer handling and gear change.

Have seen very high 40s mpg read-out on long steady motorway runs but usually low 40s. Much different around town of course. Average probably in the mid 30s if not heavy footed.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Dougall

Hi

I have the 1.8 tsi L&K manual. This is my second, the first had only done 8500 miles and was just starting to increase in the fuel economy stakes (or I was getting light footed)and I was rear ended whilst stood in traffic, result total right off and a battle with the insurance company. Anyway got my new one again on 1st Sept, already done 800 miles. The reason I went for this against the VRs petrol is i think it's understated so people dont try to race you or push you off the road as does happen with our 2.8 BMW Z3.

The performance as I am sure you will know is not far off the 2.0 VRS. The fuel is around 34-36 in town and 40 on motor way at 70mph, and thats with a new tight engine. I will admit the springs are a little on the soft side for chucking around bends, but keep revs up and it can be contolled.The best bit is the over taking, drop a gear to get 2000RPM and just go. The bad bit is its so quiet in side I sometimes forget I am in the wrong gear ie 2nd instead of 4th or 4th instesd of 6th untill I look at the dash. Go see a dealer and get a test drive, although there arent many around, everyone goes for diesel nowadays.

I'm happy with mine.