1.2 TSI wastegate actuator failure

Hi.

15500 km and 1 year and 4 months, EPC light ON, check engine light ON while on the road. Engine turns limp.

After 2 restarts the lights go off and the engine is ok.

Diagnosis at the local skoda dealer: error 11825 - mechanical failure of the wastegate actuator.

Solution: turbocharger replacement.

I mean WTF (pardon my french) !!! At this mileage to change the most important component of a tubo engine !!!

And what happens with the new part ? Will it fail the same way at so little mileage ? The car will be out of warranty, I will have to pay for a component that is supposed to last for at least 80.000 - 100.000 km. And the spare part and labor is 10% of the car price.

WELL DONE Skoda, VW.

And this is not a single case. I've seen lots and lots of other owners with similar problems in netherlands, germany, greece, romania, russia, poland and czech republic. And this is what I've found with a simple web search.

Edited by fixpixu

And what happens with the new part ? Will it fail the same way at so little mileage ? The car will be out of warranty, I will have to pay for a component that is supposed to last for at least 80.000 - 100.000 km. And the spare part and labor is 10% of the car price.

If it failed out-of-warranty, you'd still have a potential claim against the supplying dealer, as it didn't last a reasonable amount of time. Would mean court though ...

@martinch - it's not always about the money. Indeed you can beneffit from the "good will" (kulanz) policy of VW and Skoda.

The most important is the safety. My family's safety. Imagine you're in an overpass at 90 km/h accelerating to reach 110 km/h. Instead of accelerating the engine gets into limp mode suddenly and the speed drops at 45 km/h. What now ?

Edited by fixpixu

Yup, true (and sorry, quoting English laws at you when you're in Romania isn't helpful - didn't see that :blush:). I thought you were (understandably) upset at the financial aspect of it. Guess I misread/misinterpreted it ...

When the turbo in my relatives Octavia gave up (actuator stuck), it simply limited the revs so it wouldn't go above 70-80mph or 3,000rpm, and appeared to map the turbo out (couldn't hear/feel the turbo at all), so that wasn't so bad ... surprised to see 45kmph, as that's not so good (I guess an option in that scenario would be to depress the clutch to stop engine braking and try to coast back in and to the hard shoulder, although that relies on not doing what I would do - panic!).

Edited by martinch

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be so kind to help me figure out something and take a look at the wastegate actuator and write down the following: make date and if ASYM word is present.

Thank you.

This is what I've gathered so far.

Actuator Octavia2 1.2 TSI:

70387498 / 17.06.11 02

EWG0019 0761613 ASYM

AUSTRIA KH1 03F.145.725.G

---------------------------------

Actuator Golf6 1.2 TSI - 4 tuning

70387498 / 08.03.10 04

EWG0019 0095111

-----------------------------------

Actuator Yeti 1.2 TSI - russia

70387498 / 21.12.09 03

EWG0019 0064336

----------------------------------

Actuator on Ebay

70387498 / 27.01.11 04

EWG0019 0545022 ASYM

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I've had the same fault: "11825 - mechanical failure of the wastegate actuator". Then my service applied the part "03F 145 371 A - spacer washer" like explained at this link:

http://skoda-fabia-israel.blogspot.com.tr/2012/03/wastegate-actuator-fix.html 

Now it works fine but it was only 100 km before :) in the following days If i get any problem i will share.

from Ankara - Türkiye.