VRS Burning oil

James I

I am after a bit of advice over oil consumption in a 1.4TFSi VRS Fabia. My wife bought the car in April brand new, she uses it for a 3 mile commute to work and nipping to the shops and things, all in it has covered 1750miles to date.

My problem is that I have put 1.5 litres of oil in the thing and when started from cold it makes a nice plume of blue smoke, the dealer claims this is normal and it is quite possible for it to use more oil than it is using!!!!

So do I just keep topping it up and not worrying about the smoke? Do I insist the dealer sorts the smoke problem at least or is it just a matter of taking the car with four adults in it on a long journey and try to work the car so everything beds in and stops the oil burning?

Finally has anybody else experienced this problem?

• Like 1

Oil usage seems to be common on the vRS engine and the 1.2 TSI. The best way it seems to run in these engines is let the oil (not just water) get up to temp and don't nurse it and use the whole rev range. I remember someone saying to just kick it's head in. There are some on here that were babied from new and burn a fair bit and then there are others who were hitting the limiter from day one who burn next to nothing. Small journeys probably don't help either. The smoke is a new one on me but no doubt someone who knows more can advise you about that. Out of interest what sort of mpg are you getting?

I am after a bit of advice over oil consumption in a 1.4TFSi VRS Fabia. My wife bought the car in April brand new, she uses it for a 3 mile commute to work and nipping to the shops and things, all in it has covered 1750miles to date.

My problem is that I have put 1.5 litres of oil in the thing and when started from cold it makes a nice plume of blue smoke, the dealer claims this is normal and it is quite possible for it to use more oil than it is using!!!!

So do I just keep topping it up and not worrying about the smoke? Do I insist the dealer sorts the smoke problem at least or is it just a matter of taking the car with four adults in it on a long journey and try to work the car so everything beds in and stops the oil burning?

hmmmm, i would probably want to look into this further but I would wait a while to be honest. As everything is so new and tight before everything is 'bedded in' to tolerance I would imagine it would use a bit of oil. Just keep an eye out for now. Also, I'd advise you to ring around a few dealerships and see if they are all singing from the same hymn sheet.. last thing you want is to be getting conned out work that might need doing

Edited by Lew_VRS

Thanks for the prompt replies, I will borrow the car for a few longer journeys and a spanking! I know my wife doesn't rev it over 3,000 so the car probably needs some using!

As for mpg, we are getting around 35 to 38 mpg on a regular basis, when we have been on a longer run 43 to 48 mpg, I have been for a blast tonight, motorway and A/B roads and got 22 mpg but don't tell the wife :doh:

I like a blast in the Fabia as my Yeti doesn't corner as good!

More varied driving needed, the oil is a little high in usage but there are worse stories on this forum.

I have used approx 400 ml in 2725 miles, mine is 6 months old, bought from new and driven normally through the run in period, but not thrashed for the first 600 miles.

Hope this helps

The oil does get better. After anywhere between 6,000 to 10,000 miles the oil usage and the MPG will improve a great deal.

The blue smoke though is rare. I know it is hard to quantify, but how much smoke are we talking here? If it is a small puff then don't worry.

As other's have said more varied driving and a few blasts while help the car quite a bit.

You're allowed to blast the vRS. That's what it's there for. I'd consider swapping cars with the wife though emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

never, ever, seen or heard of blue smoke, I'd get it checked out...... puffs of smoke that are black yes! this engine does seem to run a bit rich, mine will even leave black soot spots on the rear after a good "run" but never blue smoke........... short journeys really wont help....

I'll just repeat my oil usage for the new members... 1 litre in first 10k now up to 16,800 miles and only 250 mill in the last 6800 miles since the 10k service, driven as normal from day one :thumbup:

Hi James, as the blokes are saying this is probably a bedding in issue to a large extent. If your wife has already done 1750 miles, and hasn't revved it past 3,000 rpm or has done so only rarely, and has driven it on mostly short trips, then the cylinder bores are probably already glazed and it may never run in. The problem is that a lacquer builds up on the cylinder bores, pistons and rings. This cannot be removed without a strip down. Also the cylinder bores become shiny glazed and cannot hold onto the oil film properly. The pistons and rings can't conform to each others shape so quite a bit of oil is being consumed. The same can happen if you drive it too hard in the first 1000 miles too. So going slowly or going too hard are two extremes to avoid to begin with.

If you drive it quite hard for a few trips this will help but let it warm up first before taking the revs up. You may just be lucky and recover the situation enough for it to be ok, but it probably won't be the best. I wouldn't worry about the blue smoke at the moment. Some of that smoke is from unburned oil in the catalytic converter and exhaust. But some of it will be from unburned oil in the cylinders which builds up if it's driven slowly all the time when the engine doesn't reach full working temperature. I'm afraid the Vrs is one of those cars that MUST be driven. You can't baby them around too much from new, but why would you anyway...they are such fun! Good luck to you both. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Edited by Estate Man

I'm at about 2200 miles now and it has not used a drop.

I followed the wise old advice on here and booted it from day one (once the oil was up to temp), that would be my top tip for any new owners!

Puffs of smoke would have me off to the dealers!

3.5lt oil used in 2200 miles would be happy to have only used 1.5lts

Thanks all for the advice, I am going to load the car up with four adults and luggage this weekend and take it for a long run, motorway and A road to try and work the car a bit, I have experience of big diesels in agricultural machinery that glaze up and burn oil, Caterpillar actually put a scouring powder into the inlet manifold when revving at full throttle to cure the problem! I won't be doing this.

Just out of interest are you guys running super unleaded? I have been using Tesco 99 Ron momentum or BP ultimate as advised by the dealer.....

Just out of interest are you guys running super unleaded? I have been using Tesco 99 Ron momentum or BP ultimate as advised by the dealer.....

Most of us are but I've been having trouble finding any Super to put in, Momentum is once in a blue moon, there's one BP but it's services so services prices and a few Vpowers but prices are all over the place. Last week I paid £1.41 a litre and this morning paid £1.45 a litre! I nearly cried emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I found the same done 1500miles and used 1.3ltres if you read the handbook it does say to expect that, I think dealers should warn you of this though prior to taking away the car

I am not too worried about oil usage as my neighbour works for an oil company and the discount is great! I was more concerned about the blue smoke, it isn't so much a constant plume it is just when the car is cold, I have logged this with the dealer where I bought the car and they are happy to look, I need to arrange leaving the car with them now as it doesn't do it when hot! Also if I don't log any issues I am sure if there were to be a warranty claim then somebody somewhere would riggle out of it!

Most of us are but I've been having trouble finding any Super to put in, Momentum is once in a blue moon, there's one BP but it's services so services prices and a few Vpowers but prices are all over the place. Last week I paid £1.41 a litre and this morning paid £1.45 a litre! I nearly cried emoticon-0106-crying.gif

LOl lucky bugger im paying £1.50 for normal bp rubbish

Like the others have said dont worry too much about oil use in the cars early days. The 1.4 TSi Twincharger tends to use a bit of oil and consumption should improve once its got a reasonable amount of mileage under its belt. Small puffs of blue/black smoke under hard acceleration are quite normal too, ours does this. You'll probably also notice (if your car is a light colour) that the rear of the car gets peppered in exhaust residue, this is normal too.

I also tend to agree that you do not need to run the car in, considerate use of full power (when the car has warmed up sufficiently) is fine from zero miles and for most people has reduced or stopped oil usage. Our car gets mixed use and in 2.2K its only used 300ml of oil.

By the way the car will run fine on decent normal unleaded you'll probably get slightly reduced performance (and when I say slightly i'd be damned if you'd actually notice). Personally I would steer clear of supermarket fuels and just try to buy branded normal/super unleaded where possible. I tend to run ours on BP Ultimate as the extra cost/litre is probably there or there-abouts offset by the increase in fuel consumption when using normal fuel but it wouldnt bother me unduely to stick a drop of BP/Shell/Esso etc normal unleaded in it.

Agree with all of the above, mine used about two litres up to its first service (a little over a week ago) and was driven respectfully during its early life. Not too hard or not too easily either.

EVO mag now have a Polo GTi on their long term fleet and have also found oil usage to be a little high but still within the VAG acceptable limits, but they also commented that some owners have had engines replaced due to failed piston rings. They are calling for all owners of VAG cars with the 1.4 TSI to get in contact on this subject.

I have now spoken with the dealer and they are very happy for me to take the Fabia for a 6 month health check that they offer for free, I will do this and let you know what the outcome is.

Interesting comment about the EVO mag car also using oil, I will go and have a look on there website.

I have now spoken with the dealer and they are very happy for me to take the Fabia for a 6 month health check that they offer for free, I will do this and let you know what the outcome is.

Interesting comment about the EVO mag car also using oil, I will go and have a look on there website.

Sounds like a good solution and at least the dealer is being pro active. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Good Luck - get out there and boot it ! :giggle: