New Intake

apmaman

Decided I wanted a new air intake for the vRS.

Consists of a PiperCross viper and some silicone hosing. Took a while to get it to fit properly but I got there. Took about 30mins in total.

The original factory box has been completely removed, even the air duct at the front, where the original square hose connected too.

The Vipers intake sits directly infront of the cold air feed, there's almost no space between it, and the cold air which is good. The least amount of hot air will get sucked in, but tbh that's only a problem sitting at traffic lights.

Here's some pics.

Finalising the position

2011-09-19151354.jpg

p_1316441445.jpg

Air feed and intake gap, pretty snug!

2011-09-19152101.jpg

Cover still fits

2011-09-19152452.jpg

2011-09-19152500.jpg

Umm, I got the induction kit off ebay for £21.50... The Pipercross Viper retails at £200 ebay ftw! About £75 for the hoses, clips, Aluminium T junction etc

So under £100 if you're mad for ebay

Edited by apmaman

Well yes, it is near the turbo, but thats what the intercooler is for, plus when the cars moving the hot air wont be a problem. The original thin plasic pipes pass right beside that so the cold air would of been heated up just as much tbh.

The colour goes well with the red interior though ;)

True but i have had trouble with this intake system on previous vehicles, the engine seems to run too rich to compansate for the air flow, also youll have to take it off every time you have a service els people like me will note it down when it comes in, and all engine and possibly gearbox warrenty work will be void :'(

Edited by Kie

A bit harsh on the poor guy but someone has to say it i guess.

it would still be an improvement over the standard system Kie,

so do you work for skoda then Kie

[/quPersonaly i would get myslef down to revo and purchase a new panel filter that fits in the standard box with proven power gains, and yes i work for furrows we are a ford,kia,mazda, and skoda dealer lol :D

Also you may find youll keep your warrenty with Revo as they are aproved by skoda on perfomance parts, i.e revo software is what skoda dealers use as part of there performance remap which is covered undewr warrenty

Personaly i would get myslef down to revo and purchase a new panel filter that fits in the standard box with proven power gains, and yes i work for furrows we are a ford,kia,mazda, and skoda dealer lol :D

I'm guessing when you say panel you mean the cylindrical Revo filter that costs around £50? Can you link me to the proof of the power gains and it didn't feel any different on my vRS :|

Also you may find youll keep your warrenty with Revo as they are aproved by skoda on perfomance parts, i.e revo software is what skoda dealers use as part of there performance remap which is covered undewr warrenty

When I spoke to a Seat dealership about this when I was looking at the Cupra they said they would honour the warranty as long as the work was paid out by Seat UK, other dealerships wouldn't honour it. I think this would be the same set up for Skoda as I don't think Skoda UK approves any type of aftermarket remap yet.

Turning the battery 180° would do the engine bay wonders if you could. You'd get a lot of space to play around with, or move the battery further up towards where the airbox use to be.

I'll try and get a recording of what it sounds like driving, but im having trouble thinking how I could go about it!

the Audi A3 (3p) batterie holding plate worked on my fabia 1 to turn the batterie by 180° , or some selfbuild plate to move it to the Airbox position ... just make sure it fits tight ..a friend did it also and the batt jumped up and connected with the inside of the bonnet .

we will see .

VAGOC is also a great source for 1.4tsi mods .

VAGOC

Edited by fabianoh5n1

I'm guessing when you say panel you mean the cylindrical Revo filter that costs around £50? Can you link me to the proof of the power gains and it didn't feel any different on my vRS :|

When I spoke to a Seat dealership about this when I was looking at the Cupra they said they would honour the warranty as long as the work was paid out by Seat UK, other dealerships wouldn't honour it. I think this would be the same set up for Skoda as I don't think Skoda UK approves any type of aftermarket remap yet.

Faintree garage in bridgenorth are a skoda dealership who have sighned up to the remapping service through revo they will stamp your book to say it has been done by an approved skoda dealership so warrenty is covered as well as the eibach sports lowering kit and other little things, we havnt signed up to the revo remapping service im not sure why but i think it has to do with we dont see enough skodas to warrent that sort of subsciption, and as for the revo air filter revo say they have proved gains on the new air filter replacement so im taking there word that they have some sort of proof or youll see the difference on a dyno?? but 5bhp is suppost to be the expected outcome of the filter which means its probley 3bhp going by there say so but still its 3bhp more proven then that chunk of bright red silacone :)

Faintree garage in bridgenorth are a skoda dealership who have sighned up to the remapping service through revo they will stamp your book to say it has been done by an approved skoda dealership so warrenty is covered as well as the eibach sports lowering kit and other little things, we havnt signed up to the revo remapping service im not sure why but i think it has to do with we dont see enough skodas to warrent that sort of subsciption, and as for the revo air filter revo say they have proved gains on the new air filter replacement so im taking there word that they have some sort of proof or youll see the difference on a dyno?? but 5bhp is suppost to be the expected outcome of the filter which means its probley 3bhp going by there say so but still its 3bhp more proven then that chunk of bright red silacone :)

Again though that will be only be them that will do the warranty work. If you have Revo done by them and take it to another garage for warranty work they can refuse to do it if the map "could" of affected the part(s). Don't get me wrong, I think remapping a car (after some research and talking to a certain tuner) is a brilliant thing, it can make a good car an amazing car, I just wouldn't want to be told i have full warranty from Skoda UK and then take my car to another dealership and get a bill for £££.

I honestly can't see the panel filter making that much to be honest, I think it's basically the same performance gain as the OEM filter minus the sock.

Sorry for going a bit off topic! Apmaman where are you based in the UK? Would love to see this in the flesh and hear it

I'll try it with my digital camera. Gorilla pod and lots of duct tape!

I know a few people who are in bands and stuff, might see if I can pinch a mic and find something to record the engine bay while I video from the camera.

Yer thts true i think the only way u can feel at ease is if you get it done by a skoda dealer and have your book stamped.. And the air filter is not realy ment for first hand performance straight off it helps the engine breath better as does a performance exhaust system not. Big gains in performance but allows you to bring the HP up safely for example before you stage 2 any car they require u to allow the engine to breathe better before further tuning this revo filter allows you to do that effectively. But i was just sayin these type of filters that are shown on these pics can allow to much air through on a car that dosnt need to pull that much air in at the stage its in there for the airflow senser will pick up the density of air and compansate by dumping more fuel which will run to rich for the stage its at at the mo i think this kind of set up should be put on sumthing like a 230bhp stage were less air filter resistance is needed and more air flow required. Just going on experiance with a saxo VTS were it only ran alot better when supercharger was added and it ran sweet and not lumpy anymore

Kie, thats interesting what you say about a lesser tuned car actually running better with a more restricted airflow, does the freeflow induction only allow a bigger amount of air through rather than produce a forced air effect?

I thought that induction kits just increased the range of air amount that the engine can draw rather than merely dump the air into the engine.