More towbar

idrubie

My towbar saga continues. To recap, I bought a used Yeti with a dealer fit towbar from a private seller.

When I used the towbar I got no comfirmation picture on the screen and the rear parking sensors did not turn off automatically. No problem I thought, just has not been coded. I booked some time with Gizmo, all good in my mind.

When I got to Gizmo the problem deepened. He could not detect the towbar module and hence could not code it. Got some other bits done though B)

Had a chat to my local dealer who said I had to take it back to the supplying dealer. Not good as its a 3 hour drive each way. I spoke to Skoda UK who agreed and said they would speak to the supplying dealer and my local dealer and sort something out. I did not hear anything for a week so called again. the only reference that they had to my initial call was my name and address - nothing about the fault. Went through it all again and got a reference number this time. All sounding good again.

Booked it in to be fixed while the rear doors were being resprayed. Got a call today saying they had spent a few hours looking at it but could not find the problem. If I wanted them to continue I would have to be aware that if it was not a warranty repair I would be charged. I asked how it could not be a warranty repair. Got told if it had been "messed with" or if it was not installed correctly originally. That is where my issue is. How come Skoda UK does not have enough faith in their dealers to warranty their work? The more I live the Skoda ownership experience the less I like it.

Ian

Edited by idrubie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any manufacturers warranty will only cover work either done directly by a dealer, or contracted out to a subcontractor, using parts they have approved. Therefore you have to prove that the towbar electrics fitted to your car firstly were fitted by a dealer or his subcontractor, and secondly that he/they used the proper kit. By the sounds of it that is where the fault lies.

Do you know EXACTLY what is fitted to your car?

Oh, and the local dealer is incorrect. The Skoda warranty, like all vehicle warranties, is NOT dealer specific. Therefore warrranty work can be carried out by any dealer. This was made Law some years ago by a decision in the European Court. This was confirmed to me this week by SUK following a problem I have had. (see my thread:"I give up")

ADD, if you can prove that the original dealer "faux pas'ed" the fitting and used wrong bits then he is responsible for correcting the fault, BUT if you bought privately you might have a legal fight to get him to correct it. Buying privately isn't covered by Sales of Goods legislation......."let the buyer beware"

(editted between trains, sorry)

Thanks,

I have spoken to the supplying dealer and they have records of supplying and fitting the towbar. Skoda UK know this and have also spoken to the supplying dealer.

It is a shame that between the two dealers and Skoda UK they can not just sort it. In my view if it was fitted wrongly the supplying dealer should pay my local dealer, if it was fitted correctly and something has failed then Skoda UK pay. I don't see why they think I should have to pay.

Ian

Sorry Ian, but there are 2 elements to the tow bar; the actual bar and the electrics.

You have a problem with the electrics part and I suspect that who ever fitted that element hasn't used the Skoda wiring kit, so you have got to clarify that.

If, as you say, the supplying dealer fitted both elements then it will be covered by the SUK 3 year warranty. That is transferable to you so you should be covered. I think I would be emailing SUK Customer Services for an explanation. (It worked in my case)

Yes, both bits were fitted by a Skoda main dealer using authorised parts. This is why I am confused and annoyed they felt the need to warn me I might be getting a bill.

My local dealer have said they need their "Master Tech" to look at it and he is not back in until Tuesday. Guess I will have to wait and see what he says.

Ian

Well this just gets better and better. At the end of last week I spoke to the Skoda main dealer who supplied and fitted the towbar to verify that they have records of the job and everything was fitted to Skoda specifications. They confirmed they have and it was.

The dealer who currently has the car called this morning and told me the towbar electrics are skotchloked to the rear light cluster. No control module or loom fitted!

Waiting for Skoda UK to call me back to see what is going to happen next.

Ian

Just spoken to the supplying dealer again to report the findings and they have changed their story. According to them dealer fit towbars do not switch off reversing sensors, do a bulb check or change stability settings and skotchloking the electrics is the correct method of fitting. :swear::wall:

Ian

Just spoken to the supplying dealer again to report the findings and they have changed their story. According to them dealer fit towbars do not switch off reversing sensors, do a bulb check or change stability settings and skotchloking the electrics is the correct method of fitting. :swear::wall:

Ian

Ian,

and since we aren't allowed to nanme and shame, where was the supplying dealer?

I suggest a very stern recorded delivery letter to them requesting full reparation and compensation, plus a copy to SUK.

TBH it probably took longer to scotchblock the wires together than using the proper plug-in system!

Just as we feared then Ian. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Ian

There is no excuse for that!! Cowboy's. :thumbdown:

where was the supplying dealer?

They are in Mansfield. I have been in contact with SUK and they are going to see what they can do. It is extra annoying because I now have to pay the local dealer for their investigation work. They have quoted £484.50 to supply and fit the correct parts.

Just as we feared then Ian.

There is no excuse for that!! Cowboy's.

Exactly. I think I am still falling into the early car trap. Being a September 09 car it was probably the first Yeti towbar they had fitted.

Ian

Since you now have an admission from the supplying dealer that they did it wrong, AND against the way the Skoda have always instructed them to do it, they are liable. I would be asking them for the money and telling them I would take them to Court if they don't pay.

Since you now have an admission from the supplying dealer that they did it wrong, AND against the way the Skoda have always instructed them to do it, they are liable.

No I have not. In my conversation with them this morning they said that was the correct way for a dealer fit towbar, only factory fit ones have the loom and control module integration. They also told me a dealer fit towbar only has a 1 year warranty which has expired.

All has been relayed to SUK, more sitting and waiting.

Ian

Utter and complete TOSH!!

The Yeti was released in Europe before the UK so a full and complete set of Workshop instructions will have been written then. Those will have included the towbar fittings as they had to be TUV approved in Germany.

If the car didn't have tow bar prep fitted at the factory there is/was a kit available that included the loom from the front to the back of the car. Just because it can take a long time to fit is no excuse. Fitting with scotchblocks could potentially have damaged the lighting ECU.

Sorry, but I would now be taking legal advice on this, even whilst awaiting SUK's response.

The whole point of getting a towbar fitted by a Dealer is that they are liable for any wrong fitting and/or wrong parts etc!! If they choose to get a third party to do the work they are still liable. It is their problem not yours and no doubt SUK will tell the dealer this.

The 3yr warranty covers such situations. It is still a pain though emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I am aware that our car was an Octavia, bought new last Sept, from a family dealership complete with Skoda supplied & fitted towbar.

However:

I had deliberately avoided an alternative dealer who wished to simply supply me with the Ph No for an auto electrican....and just sort out the fitment privately.

No dice says I, as I will be snookered in the event of warrenty work.

Anyway my preferred reputable dealer fit was not even Scotchlocked! merely badly dry spliced,being sub-contracted to an independant fitter.

I returned the car and asked for it to be properly sorted, this took some quiet but bloody minded determination not to be fobbed off.

I think the Service Manager realized that I was prepared to go down the "not fit for purpose" route, as I had returned the car, with the Missis there in another vehicle to take me back home.

Being prepared to leave to car until it was "fit for purpose" or whatever.

Anyway they then somewhat reluctantly ordered the proper kit from Skoda and fitted it, unfortunately I was still left with the damage to the wires in the boot.

Despite being tempted to compel them to replace these I felt the goodwill was probably worth more in the long run.

I nearly got the full caravan spec/split charge kit fitted as a freebie, until the service manager twigged I had only paid origionally for a simple trailer kit.

bugger.

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg

.. . merely badly dry spliced . . .

Wow, makes the job done on mine sound good! Why oh why do these dealers think they will get away with stuff like this. These are main dealers not back street cut price workshops.

Ian

I have spoken to SUK again this morning and the supplying dealer has come up with a third version of the story.

Now it turns out the original owner of the vehicle was given a choice of what type of electrics he wanted, all singing and dancing or the cheaper option of just splice it in. He went for just splice it in. I have tried to contact the original owner several times over the past few weeks (he is a current member on here) but I have not had a reply.

Skoda UK have closed the matter saying if I want it done properly I will have to pay for it in full.

In summary if you think a dealer estimate is a bit high just ask them to do a bodge job and they will with full Skoda UK support.

Ian

Skoda UK have closed the matter saying if I want it done properly I will have to pay for it in full.

Ian

Ian

Can I suggest that if you are going to have to pay for the wiring to be done properly rather than argue with the dealer about the cost, contact these people http://www.philtaylortowbars.webeden.co.uk/# who come highly recomended by members on here (they are in Hamshire) and get them to fit a proper wiring kit and reprogram it, I suspect their price will be cheaper than the dealer too.

Richard

Yes I took my car there, it took about an hour and a half to fit the towbar, electrics and coding of the car which they did while I had a tea and a read. Perhaps they could sort it out for you.

Ian

Thanks. I have sent an email to Mr Hazelwood giving the whole story and asking if he is happy with dealers doing what they have done. My email has been answered by Mr Fisher who is going to investigate the matter and get back to me.

Ian

No I have not. In my conversation with them this morning they said that was the correct way for a dealer fit towbar, only factory fit ones have the loom and control module integration. They also told me a dealer fit towbar only has a 1 year warranty which has expired.

All has been relayed to SUK, more sitting and waiting.

Ian

Hi there

You may have seen my postings on the other towbar thread but my yeti is being fitted with Skoda genuine towbar and electrics by my local dealer. It will have the ability to switch off the reversing sensors and work as a factory fit one does but it has run into nightmare electrical fitting problems. The electrics vary depending on if you have towbar prep and if you need double electrics and my dealers tech having not fitted one before ended up with wrong wiring loom from Skoda then Skoda sent wrong wiring instructions. Given that they have have spent 20 hours fitting it, it may well be that the original electrics on your yeti were scotchlocked in to fit it quickly. I,like you are disappointed with my Skoda experience so far and wonder what will happen if something goes badly wrong with the car.

I am told that my towbar should work as expected showing the caravan attached etc. If it doesnt then it will go back until sorted. The dealers have already said they are having to swallow the hours in lost time in order to do the job correctly. Bet they wont want to do another one.

I do not understand why it is apparently so difficult to correctly wire tow bars. Is the design of the car rubbish, the official tow bar rubbish or the dealers untrained?

I would have thought you cut the rear bumper, bolt on the bar, route the cable, mount the control module, plug in the connector to the loom, fit the outlet socket, code the car, test, glue the cover support frame into place. I can see routing the cable might be a PITA but there does not appear to be anything that technical. Have I missed something?

Ian

I do not understand why it is apparently so difficult to correctly wire tow bars. Is the design of the car rubbish, the official tow bar rubbish or the dealers untrained?

I would have thought you cut the rear bumper, bolt on the bar, route the cable, mount the control module, plug in the connector to the loom, fit the outlet socket, code the car, test, glue the cover support frame into place. I can see routing the cable might be a PITA but there does not appear to be anything that technical. Have I missed something?

Ian

As you say it's not that difficult - if you know what you are doing!! It seems that an awful lot of Skoda Dealers don't, problem with most garage 'fitters' is just that - they fit - they are not mechanics and their most used tool is the plug in diagnostic machine - if the machine says "break wind" they probably would do so...

On the other hand people like MDS towbars (in my case) or in Countryboy's case Phil Taylor Towbars know exactly what they are doing, do it well and at sensible prices, instead of charging top dollar for something they can't do properly anyhow.

Incidently as I understand it if you just 'scotchlock' the connections you will get a bulb failure warning every time you plug a trailer into the car' and as you have found you can't program anything to work properly (reversing lights, fog lights, sensors etc etc)

...also the only difference between factory fit towbar electrics and vehicle specific wiring fitted at a dealer is that the factory fit set up already has the wiring from the control module to the boot area aleady fitted at the factory whereas if it is not fitted the dealer has to put the wiring in from front to back of car.

Ian