Headlight advice & info please

nigelj

Can I ask a couple of [probably] dumb questions!?

First off, I'm used to 2 separate lamps for low and high beam...can someone explain how the system works with just 1 lamp? Is voltage restricted for low beam, then full for high beam, or what? (Told you it was a silly question!).

Next, what are the recommendations for brighter/whiter halogen lamps as I think the standard ones are pretty dull. I've used Osram Nightbreakers before but they don't seem to have very good life span. I have HID conversions in my bike but I'm wary of going this route in the car...bike MOT testers are far more sensible than car ones so HIDs don't normally cause an issue, but I'd expect a fail in the car due to lack of self-levelling and headlamp washing.

Cheers, Nige

ive had cars with and without self levelling headlights and been running with hids for years in them never had a problem with the mot aslong as the light heights and pattern are set correct. as for the one bulb for high and low beam the bulbs have two filaments one for low and one for high.

ive had cars with and without self levelling headlights and been running with hids for years in them never had a problem with the mot aslong as the light heights and pattern are set correct.

That's the same as bikes then! I may have a word with the MOT tester I use before I spend any dosh though, just to be sure!

as for the one bulb for high and low beam the bulbs have two filaments one for low and one for high.

I thought this, but didn't have time to take the lamp out to look...doh!

OK, so what happens with HIDs for high/low beam?

projector style lamps use a single H7 bulb, with a steel blanking plate that is actuated by a solenoid. this blanking plate when dropped gives the dipped beam. when raised- gives full beam.

projector style lamps use a single H7 bulb, with a steel blanking plate that is actuated by a solenoid. this blanking plate when dropped gives the dipped beam. when raised- gives full beam.

and there was me last night trying to find dual filament lamps on the interweb!

We had this flap operated system on my Wife's Fabia II Sport..Dreadful light scatter..Not improved much with brighter bulbs either!!

It was improved with the addition of twin light units in her vRS...which has now been removed back again on newer vRs's and Monte Carlo models...Doh!!!!!

We had this flap operated system on my Wife's Fabia II Sport..Dreadful light scatter..Not improved much with brighter bulbs either!!

It was improved with the addition of twin light units in her vRS...which has now been removed back again on newer vRs's and Monte Carlo models...Doh!!!!!

Actually I think the Fabia lights are far batter than the ones on my bike!

The Tiger had the worst headlights I've ever seen...how Triumph ever got type approval is a mystery, and criminal really on the part of the DoT inspectors IMHO. Riding over 40mph on a dark unlit road is dangerous, especially on right bends where you're riding into darkness because of the beam cut off and the bike leaning over. It's because of the cut off plate in the dipped beam (left unit). I changed to HIDs so now get much more light on the road, but the same cut off.

The answer was auxilliary LED lights - not running lights but proper lights that through masses of light forward onto the road - not cheap and a hassle to get from the USA, but worth the money...

2011-04-02_VisionX_LEDs-7.jpg

2011-04-02_VisionX_LEDs-20.jpg

First off, I'm used to 2 separate lamps for low and high beam...can someone explain how the system works with just 1 lamp? Is voltage restricted for low beam, then full for high beam, or what? (Told you it was a silly question!).

One lamp, two filaments, and three connectors.

Next, what are the recommendations for brighter/whiter halogen lamps as I think the standard ones are pretty dull. I've used Osram Nightbreakers before but they don't seem to have very good life span. I have HID conversions in my bike but I'm wary of going this route in the car...bike MOT testers are far more sensible than car ones so HIDs don't normally cause an issue, but I'd expect a fail in the car due to lack of self-levelling and headlamp washing.

Cheers, Nige

The rules regarding HIDs is a pain. Personally I've been using Philips X-Treme Power bulbs, in both the car and bike (TDM900A), and not had any issues with reliability (2+ years).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride%20Magazine/Product%20test%20pdfs/Headlight%20bulb%20test.pdf

MY2011 vrs have chrome headlights with separate low and high beam reflector/projectors.

MY2012 vrs have black monte clusters with a single projector that is fitted with a solenoid shutter for high and low beam.

Cheers, Nige

This explains what you need ;)

There is a curtain which is trigerred by a solenoid to switch between low and high beam.

b2s1.gif

b2s2.gif

I've changed the stock bulbs with H7 Bosch Plus 90, but check for the legality before you buy.

Edited by irfant