4 Wheel alignment in Leeds & Bradford area

eccleshill

After seeing this post

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/216347-fix-for-pulling-to-left/page__view__findpost__p__2556329

I decided to take the plunge and get my steering sorted. The steering wheel on my Octavia has been offset to the right since new and the dealer was reluctant to disturb it as the tyre wear wasn't giving any cause for concern. I am also getting a vibration and drone from the rear at 20-25mph.

Gave them a call and booked in for today. No hard sell over the phone - Piotr explained what he would do - the alignment check would be free, he would explain the findings and make recommendations. He explained the range of charges depending on what is found. I can't remember all the numbers but came away with a ball park figure in my head up to £70 or so if loads needed doing.

When I got there, first thing I noticed was how clean and tidy the place was.

First part of the process was a test drive. Confirmed steering wheel off-centre but drives straight, and vibration from the back tyres.

Back to base, I was given a coffee while Piotr started work. First stage was a check of all the tyre treads and pressures - I was running at the pressure on the fuel flap - 2.1 bar all round; he recommended a slightly higher pressure of 2.3 bar all round and after I gave the OK he topped them up.

Next the free alignment check. He explained what caster, toe and camber were including a demonstration with an old tyre! Then went through the results that showed the front toe to be out of spec - that was giving the steering wheel offset. Also he wasn't 100% happy with the rear toe - both were in spec but the difference between them was too great. Everything else was OK. Bad news was the only solution to the rear drone/vibration is new tyres! Currently on the oem Bridgestones that were swapped front to rear at 10k miles - I will get a little more life out of them before I change.

Adjustments made, another test drive showed that the toe adjustment alone hadn't been enough to centre the steering wheel so back on the ramp for another tweek.

On test drive number 3 he declared himself happy and sat in with me while I had a test drive. After driving 12 months and 12.5k miles with my right hand down a bit, it felt strange at first! But it was sorted - the steering wheel was straight and the car felt great. :D

Went on a 40 mile test run afterwards - I'm sure the back end is quieter - not quiet - but definitely quieter.

So in summary: it is ABC Car Service Ltd tucked away in an industrial estate in Pudsey; between Leeds and Bradford just off the Stanningley bye-pass/Ring Road. I put LS13 4LY in my TomTom and it took me to the door.

Here is the website: http://www.abc-carservice.co.uk/ .

Great, friendly service and they did a brilliant job - best 50 quid I ever spent on a car! One very satisfied customer :D

Oh! Nearly forgot - here is a copy of the before and after report:

alignment report.pdf

After seeing this post

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/216347-fix-for-pulling-to-left/page__view__findpost__p__2556329

I decided to take the plunge and get my steering sorted. The steering wheel on my Octavia has been offset to the right since new and the dealer was reluctant to disturb it as the tyre wear wasn't giving any cause for concern. I am also getting a vibration and drone from the rear at 20-25mph.

Gave them a call and booked in for today. No hard sell over the phone - Piotr explained what he would do - the alignment check would be free, he would explain the findings and make recommendations. He explained the range of charges depending on what is found. I can't remember all the numbers but came away with a ball park figure in my head up to £70 or so if loads needed doing.

When I got there, first thing I noticed was how clean and tidy the place was.

First part of the process was a test drive. Confirmed steering wheel off-centre but drives straight, and vibration from the back tyres.

Back to base, I was given a coffee while Piotr started work. First stage was a check of all the tyre treads and pressures - I was running at the pressure on the fuel flap - 2.1 bar all round; he recommended a slightly higher pressure of 2.3 bar all round and after I gave the OK he topped them up.

Next the free alignment check. He explained what caster, toe and camber were including a demonstration with an old tyre! Then went through the results that showed the front toe to be out of spec - that was giving the steering wheel offset. Also he wasn't 100% happy with the rear toe - both were in spec but the difference between them was too great. Everything else was OK. Bad news was the only solution to the rear drone/vibration is new tyres! Currently on the oem Bridgestones that were swapped front to rear at 10k miles - I will get a little more life out of them before I change.

Adjustments made, another test drive showed that the toe adjustment alone hadn't been enough to centre the steering wheel so back on the ramp for another tweek.

On test drive number 3 he declared himself happy and sat in with me while I had a test drive. After driving 12 months and 12.5k miles with my right hand down a bit, it felt strange at first! But it was sorted - the steering wheel was straight and the car felt great. :D

Went on a 40 mile test run afterwards - I'm sure the back end is quieter - not quiet - but definitely quieter.

So in summary: it is ABC Car Service Ltd tucked away in an industrial estate in Pudsey; between Leeds and Bradford just off the Stanningley bye-pass/Ring Road. I put LS13 4LY in my TomTom and it took me to the door.

Here is the website: http://www.abc-carservice.co.uk/ .

Great, friendly service and they did a brilliant job - best 50 quid I ever spent on a car! One very satisfied customer :D

Oh! Nearly forgot - here is a copy of the before and after report:

alignment report.pdf

Hi guys definitely give these guys a go.

Friendly, excellent service and really good prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see them today for a sqeek from rear bushes. Peter loosened the nuts then re tightened. I had lowering springs fitted some time ago and it started to sqeek after that in the rain. He said some garages re tighten the nuts whilst it is still hanging, rather than sat on the wheels. Much tighter back end and I went over speed bumps and seems quit so far, no charge as well. They know their stuff, he worked in the states on muscle cars as well, and 2 R32`s in there as well :thumbup:

Went back today to check everything on the machine as yesterday I was not booked in , just a quick check , so today was the main event. My car had negetive rear camber ( needs adjusting if you have lowering springs) and nearside toe was pointing left. we went for a drive , then back again for some more adjustments, then he took me on a road, dual carriageway where one side, the camber is like britain, and very slightly pulls left, then the other way is like the camber in mainline Europe , so pulls very slightly to the right. Then you don`t need the printout you can feel it is spoton , turns like a gocart now and no understeer at the same speed i was getting it bad on tight roundabouts in the Rain. Peter and his colleages really know their stuff and explain in laymens terms about Tyres suspension sett up etc, AND the best bit I am getting 7 mpg more out of a tank so far. I cannot recomend them more highly :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Well I had my droplinks fitted, new bushes and Koni fsd dampers today. The difference is staggering. Thanks to Peter once again at ABC for his magic , one bolt sheared off whilst doing the anti-roll bar bushes. Great some ride and sublime handling now, a few phone pics , not the best old, and new

post-53584-0-36680000-1326992063_thumb.jpg post-53584-0-64440100-1326992072_thumb.jpg post-53584-0-20297000-1326992082_thumb.jpg old and new post-53584-0-83617100-1326992092_thumb.jpg