DSG false neutrals (6 speed gearbox)

rockhopper

Having reported this in the Yeti section, in this thread it would see that some of the later DSG 6 speed gearboxes see to be reporting the occasional false neutral.

Rather than posting in every model section, I thought it would be wise to put it where hopefully more people will see and maybe Skoda.cz will realise that there is a problem with some of the DSG equipped vehicles.

I have heard of a few Octavia's reporting this issue and also some Yeti as well.

Any Superb's out there with the same issue, or even others in the VAG group?

My vehicle has had a flappy paddle MFSW fitted and it only happens when in tiptronic. I must say that it hasn't happened for 6 months now, but others are mentioning the same regardless of if they have retro fitted a flappy paddle MFSW or not.

Mike

IIRC I reported this fault happening occasionally in the initial 'Yeti forum' thread and as with Rockhopper it was generally apparent only when in 'tiptronic'. I too have a modification of an Octavia vRS multifunction wheel with DSG paddles but had a factory fit (non DSG paddle) multi function wheel from new and have had the 'false neutral' problem both before and after changing steering wheels.

I have has the problem a couple of times in recent weeks.

IMHO I simply feel that the 'false neutral' only happens when either 1) I'm downchanging too quickly and then accelerate or 2) when I have slowed a lot which makes the DSG down change automatically, even though I'm in tiptronic, and then I down change on the paddles/gearstick at the same time ....

In both cases I believe that the request for down change is too quick for the DSG to action. If I drive with deliberate down changes, with a moment or two between each down change 'click' I have no problem. Drive like this my Yeti is a delight to drive and I'm happy to live with it this way.

I have only lost drive once in my Superb, and that was whilst pulling away from a roundabout in normal Drive mode. The box went to change from 2nd to 3rd, but changed from 2nd to Neutral even though the display showed 3. The solution was to shift to N then back to D, only did it once and that was ages ago.

I've had the same issue with my 2011 octavia 140cr dsg. Just like rockhopper i faced the issue only in the tiptronic mode. It has happened twice over the last 3 months and both on sudden deceleration when the car shifted down from 6th to 5th (but instead of actually shifting down to 5th it slipped to neutral while the display continued to show the 5th.) Continue decelerating and the 4th gear gets engaged and things are back to normal. And i too have changed to a 3 spoke mfsw with paddles.

Got another friend who had this problem (he hasn't changed the steering or retrofitted anything). His was more frequent and could easily be replicated on driving in tiptronic for around 15mins. He's got his checked by the skoda chaps and they seem to have agreed that this IS a problem and they're trying to find a solution for it. Will keep you all posted on what happens.

I think skoda should acknowledge that there is a glitch in their DSGs of the 2011 models.

Edited by vinj14

Latest update: So my friend who has a 3 month old octavia 140cr dsg with this problem was asked to bring in his car to replace the mechatronic.

let us know if it solves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Latest update: So my friend who has a 3 month old octavia 140cr dsg with this problem was asked to bring in his car to replace the mechatronic.

Any news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
HI everyone!

I decided to join your community to participate in this thread as I my problem is idetical to the one described here.

Is there any additional information on whether the "false neutral" problem was resolved or not? Was it the G182 sensor causing it?

I have a 2010 mk6 Golf GTI with DSG on Revo K04 software. My TCU software is bone stock. Last autumn I started experiencing false neutrals and it has persisted up to today.

- the problem happens once or twice per month

- it mostly occured when I started rolling without having warmed up the engine

- it happened on inclines when going up

- no fault codes or CELs appeared

- the PRNDS never blinked

- during the last 2 months the false neutrals statred happenning when the car has previously been warmed up and a rotating screeching sound appeared. The amplitude of the sound increses when you push the throttle. the sound goes sway after the false neutral problem vanishes

- it ONLY happens in 2nd gear. When a begin rolling (in D, S, Manual mode) 1st gear is perfect, then when it switches to 2nd the RPM needles sweeps up but there is no drive

- i found a way to cure it: I upshift it in manual mode to 3rd, it starts pulling at about 2500 rpms, then upshift it to 4th. Then I sownshift it to 2nd and everything goes back to normal.

Besides this I'm getting a little hesistation when shifting at WOT in manual mode from 5th to 6th gear. This little problem doesn't happen everytime when I shift from 5th to 6th. There is no hesitation at WOT in D or S mode.

I had my car diagnosed several times and they said that there is no problem ith the transmission: clutch packs are in working condition, the DSG shifts smoothly. They only said that there is 2 minutes of historic operational time with the DSG fluid tempereature higher than 140 degree Celcius and 30 hours of operational time with the temp in the 120-140 range.

What has been done:

- DSG software has been upgraded to the latest 2238 version

- DSG fluid was changed to Motul DCTF about 8000 km ago

- Full adaptation of the DSG with calibration test-drive was performed several times

What I'm planning to do:

- remove the Mechatrnoics unit for inspection / cleaning

- replace the G182 sensor (already purchased)

- reflash my DSG with Revo Stage 2 TCU sotware

Photo of DSG filter when it was changed:

a573982s-960.jpg

Here are some videos of my problem:

Edited by valj