Blackvue Drive Recorders - NOW CLOSED!

BossFox

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a mount included for mounting it or are they sold separate? And how much footage would a 4gb card hold? Would fill up pretty quick I'd say? Once it's full do I need to delete all of the recorded useless footage then start over again? And is there any way the coppers could nick ya with one of these? With the gps tracking your speed and all that.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Jordan

Is there a mount included for mounting it or are they sold separate? And how much footage would a 4gb card hold? Would fill up pretty quick I'd say? Once it's full do I need to delete all of the recorded useless footage then start over again? And is there any way the coppers could nick ya with one of these? With the gps tracking your speed and all that.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Jordan

The mount is included. As is the power lead and a spare sticky pad.

A 4gb card will hold about 3 to 4 hours footage.

It records in 1 minute clips and when full starts recording over the oldest ones, so it runs constantly. You can just leave it alone.

No idea on the police. If you are daft enough to film yourself driving like a mad person and then tell the police you have.. probably. Just pop the power lead out when you want to go bonkers.

I might be tempted by one of these. Out of interest, how do you wire them up? Do they run from the cigarette lighter?

Yes.

Or if you are inclined you can wire them into an ignition live yourself to record just when you are driving.

Right - After spotting this, I'm in for the HD one! :thumbup: I need one of these in my life. :D Might have to forego the purchase of a tower PC to replace my old dead one though. :giggle:

1. BossFox - 70 x 300

2. devonutopia - 1 x 400

etc.

Sounds good!

Do you know how the power supply works? Do these plug in via the cigarette lighter? Can they be hard-wired in?

I've looked on there website, it's a nice piece of kit!

Joe

Yes and yes.

Ciggy 12v plug comes in the kit with about 4m of lead.

A few questions if I may.. (vids on youtube makes it look pretty good, even at nightime!)

How likely is insurers/police going to take this seriously?

If you were doing something illegal while in an incident (e.g. 81mph on a motorway) would it void any fault you may claim?

How long does one of these puppies last? 2yrs?

HD one looks worthwhile getting.. Can even use it for trackdays :D

A few questions if I may.. (vids on youtube makes it look pretty good, even at nightime!)

How likely is insurers/police going to take this seriously?

If you were doing something illegal while in an incident (e.g. 81mph on a motorway) would it void any fault you may claim?

How long does one of these puppies last? 2yrs?

HD one looks worthwhile getting.. Can even use it for trackdays :D

Don't know about police, but the main benefit is insurers who do take it seriously. Imagine you nudge the back of a car at low speed. The single driver says his three friends were in the car and four whiplash claims come though. You have video proof there was only one occupant and it's a fraudulent claim. The difference is a fraudulent claim being dropped or a large claim on your record.

Remember, insurers don't want to pay out. If you give them video proof to help them not pay out and stop the dodgy claim culture we have they are actually saving a lot of money.

There is also a benefit to you if someone hits your car and drives off or says you drove into them you have clear video proof so the other insurance company will act on what their driver says and then just admit liability when they see the proof.

You can go into the setup menu and turn the speed display off if you want to.

They should last a lot longer than 2 years. But you'll probably need a new SD card every so often, but if you reformat every month or two even they should last a fair amount of time.

The fringe benefit is that if someone else has an accident, you have it on camera.

To be honest, I don't need to do the sales pitch on these units. It's like an insurance. You may not need it, but if you do it's worth it's weight in gold.

I'm not earning a profit on them, I'm just using the buying power I have to mean Brisky members can save a lot of money if they want one. :thumbup:

Love the idea of this. I have so many times when I have to dodge people and sometimes I'd rather just take them out. Do you know how long these can be left operating until the car battery dies? Thanks

Ross

Love the idea of this. I have so many times when I have to dodge people and sometimes I'd rather just take them out. Do you know how long these can be left operating until the car battery dies? Thanks

Ross

I have left two running overnight and the car has been fine the next day.

They have a parking mode when no motion is detected so the current draw drops, although I'm not sure of the actual figures right now.

When I left the two going the parking mode was disabled, so that was a higher drain on the battery.

There is a power magic which protects the car battery from too much drain, but I haven't looked at that option as I want them for my minibuses only when they are driving.

Link to Power Magic: http://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Just being cheeky now, but is there a number of units where the price drops further? I.e. if we get to 100 units? Or 125 units?

In a word no... I've had to have a good shop around and haggle to get these prices.

Many dealers won't even go this low for 100 units.

If there was, I'd have bought more and set myself up a new business. :giggle:

As it is, I'm just passing on the prices and not making a profit.

hi mate i want the hd one are you posting them out to people or is it colection only ? i can deposit money in paypal now if u like ? thanks for the saving great christmas spirit :)

Postage to UK mainland is included. :thumbup:

I don't want to pay paypal charges as I'll be losing money on them.

So payments will need to be paypal gift, bank transfer or post me a cheque. :thumbup:

I'll put the payment details up after Christmas as I'm not ordering them until the 5th Jan, only those with deposits will be ordered.

If you want to pay the £20 now PM me.

hi mate i want the hd one are you posting them out to people or is it colection only ? i can deposit money in paypal now if u like ? thanks for the saving great christmas spirit :)

1. BossFox - 70 x 300 + 30 spare mounts

2. devonutopia - 1 x 400

3. Wilsy7 - 1 x 300

4. vRS Joe - 1 x 300

5. black-fabia-1.2-htp-2006 - 1 x 400

Also extra mounts are available for £10. (post no.1 updated)

With these you can use the unit in more than one vehicle.

Richard, do you know if these record all the time by default, or just the 15 seconds before and after they have been triggered by the sensor?

Do you physically have to turn them on each time (when hard wired) or do they remember their last setting?

Anyone got them fitted to the rear recording through the OE Skoda sunset glass ... how does this affect the quality of the picture?

Richard, do you know if these record all the time by default, or just the 15 seconds before and after they have been triggered by the sensor?

Do you physically have to turn them on each time (when hard wired) or do they remember their last setting?

Anyone got them fitted to the rear recording through the OE Skoda sunset glass ... how does this affect the quality of the picture?

They record all the time and either go off when you pull the plug or switch to parking mode if left plugged in.

In parking mode they only activate for a minute or so when a preset G-force is registered.

The unit formats the SD card with a settings file that you can change, this tells the unit how to behave and it runs this every time you power it up.

I think RockHopper on the Yeti forum has Sunset Glass, I know he runs a rear camera.

Have a look in the Yeti project section. (There is only one car in there!)