Windows and roof opening on their own

davidrhodes

Came out of the supermarket today to find all the windows open as far as they could be and even the sunroof was part open. As I was deep inside the building, I couldn't have activated the remote at that distance. I was very lucky the car wasn't raided and that it wasn't raining. Can't imagine the insurance company would look very favourably at this situation if I had been forced to make a claim. Any ideas please?

Can offer no solution but a colleague has had the same thing on her new 61 plate Fabia, she never experienced it on her 59 plate Fabia. It's happened more than once, she hasn't been to the dealer yet though I've strongly recommended her to do so several times!

Can offer no solution but a colleague has had the same thing on her new 61 plate Fabia, she never experienced it on her 59 plate Fabia. It's happened more than once, she hasn't been to the dealer yet though I've strongly recommended her to do so several times!

What is the possibility of someone with a similar remote control operating on the same code/frequency pattern

using it in close proximity to your car?

Thre are a gazillion threads on this "problem" covering over every Å koda model on this forum. The answer is ALWAYS that you accidently pressed and held the unlock button on your remote. ALWAYS.

My guess is you had it pressed thus as you walked away from the car and that is why the sunroof was only partially open (as it takes a tiny bit longer to open fully than dropping the windows) and then you walked out of range so it stopped half way. Had you walked slower that would have been open fully as well.

• Like 1

What is the possibility of someone with a similar remote control operating on the same code/frequency pattern

using it in close proximity to your car?

About as much chance as the moon being made of green cheese. :no:

Johann is right.

The range of a remote can be surprising and vary.

Never read of any other cause-new batteries will give a longer range so may account for behaviour differing with a new car.

Interesting point - do the windows stop opening if you release the button? I've had a car that does this (BMW) and others (Volvo, Ford, Mercedes) that fully open, even if you release the button part-way through.

This 'problem' shows up in all of the other car forums I visit, across all OEMs.

Interesting point - do the windows stop opening if you release the button? I've had a car that does this (BMW) and others (Volvo, Ford, Mercedes) that fully open, even if you release the button part-way through.

This 'problem' shows up in all of the other car forums I visit, across all OEMs.

They only drop (or open the sunroof) for as long as you hold the button. So if you only want to open the windows a fraction (to let warm air out) you only hold the unlock button briefly. Keep it depressed and the windows/sunroof will open all the way. So yes releasing the button immediately stops the windows/sunroof from opening further.

Of further note is that the windows/sunroof only start to drop after you've pressed the button for at least two seconds or so. They don't start to drop immediately. A brief press of course just unlocks the car. :giggle:

Thanks everyone for the input. You learn something every day. Apparently this is called "comfort control". If you press the unlock button for 2 seconds the windows and sunroof open to cool the car down before you get to it on a hot day. (It might be full of cats or other people by the time you get there.) Pressing lock" for 2 seconds will close everything again. We just spoke to the dealers - didn't ask them first because we don't necessarily believe everything they tell us. However, just tried this out from within the house and - eureka - it works! It would be helpful if one was told this when picking the car up. It's bad, particularly from a security point of view, if you don't know. I'm still amazed, though, that it was triggered from within a large supermarket building.

On a positive note, the Yeti's the best car we've ever bought. The only black mark I would put on it is the rigid parcel shelf, which is a fiddle and a nuisance to remove and takes up space even when not in position. The Fabia had a roller shutter which was infinitely better. Also the fabric on the rear seat back panels marks very easily when used as luggage space with the seats down. The panoramic sunroof is brilliant.

Thanks everyone for the input. You learn something every day. Apparently this is called "comfort control". If you press the unlock button for 2 seconds the windows and sunroof open to cool the car down before you get to it on a hot day. (It might be full of cats or other people by the time you get there.) Pressing lock" for 2 seconds will close everything again. We just spoke to the dealers - didn't ask them first because we don't necessarily believe everything they tell us. However, just tried this out from within the house and - eureka - it works! It would be helpful if one was told this when picking the car up. It's bad, particularly from a security point of view, if you don't know. I'm still amazed, though, that it was triggered from within a large supermarket building.

On a positive note, the Yeti's the best car we've ever bought. The only black mark I would put on it is the rigid parcel shelf, which is a fiddle and a nuisance to remove and takes up space even when not in position. The Fabia had a roller shutter which was infinitely better. Also the fabric on the rear seat back panels marks very easily when used as luggage space with the seats down. The panoramic sunroof is brilliant.

Glad we could help...... I think they don't tell you about this since near every VAG car for over a decade now has had this feature as standard. :giggle:

I HATE the parcel shelf too. A roller one is much better and easier to get out BUT you can't put stuff ON a roller shelf. So you win some and you lose some. Just one point the dealer also did not show you. Of you take the shelf out (assuming you can since it never ever wants to *&^%*&^*&^ come out when the back seats are up) then you can store it upright behind the rear seats IF you turn it around. So put the back in first so that the wider "hinges" are at the top.

Isn't it funny how different people see things in a differt way. I prefer the solid parcel shelf, having had a roller one in my last car. And I've never had a problem getting it out, seat up or down.

It's bad, particularly from a security point of view, if you don't know

Ummmm..... that book that comes free with every Yeti is not just for decoration you know! ;)

• 10 months later...

Thre are a gazillion threads on this "problem" covering over every Å koda model on this forum. The answer is ALWAYS that you accidently pressed and held the unlock button on your remote. ALWAYS.

My guess is you had it pressed thus as you walked away from the car and that is why the sunroof was only partially open (as it takes a tiny bit longer to open fully than dropping the windows) and then you walked out of range so it stopped half way. Had you walked slower that would have been open fully as well.

Thre are a gazillion threads on this "problem" covering over every Å koda model on this forum. The answer is ALWAYS that you accidently pressed and held the unlock button on your remote. ALWAYS.

Not true unfortunately. My windows did this. I had the key fob in my hand with the buttons facing up, and not being pressed. Happened a few times to me prior to that. But now (today) the windows did the same thing, and 100% the key fob wasn't being pressed. On top of this, today, the indicator lights began to switch on an off, the noise in the locks went on and off, the windows opened, and the indicators + locks continued on + off. Brought it to the Skoda dealership, and they put it on the computer - no fault showed. Have to bring again tomorrow when a Skoda 'expert' is going to have a look. I even used the spare key and put the other one 100m away from the car, and it still continued. Not a key problem. When I drove today, I could still hear the locks making the noise.

Will post the result of tomorrows test, but 100% it's not the key fob accidently being pressed that's causing this problem. It's either a software problem, or somewhere along the line there's a bad connection (perhaps in the boot door) that's not making proper contact.

Strange things do happen.

While I was off ill from work recently my Octavia was parked up on the drive. Both sets of keys in the key cupboard in the house.

Other half came back from work in the Yeti and said why are all the windows open on the Octavia. Not sure how long they had been open but the whole interior was absolutley soaked through.

We also get our remote control lights in the house going off when the guy over the road locks his Toyota.

At work we use very sophicated radio controls with all kinds of safety locks for operating some of equipment we sell. Recently we installed some of this kit at a clients only to find that when it was used all the Golfs in the car park unlocked.

It shouldn't happen but it does.

I had the window-opening on their own problem when I first got Hetti back in Jan 2010. Dealer changed something in window switch control (sorry, don't know what) and problem solved.

BTY, I've never managed to get the windows to open / close using the fob! Must try again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the offside rear window deciding to open on its own but the others don't budge from the fully closed position. It was a bit (very) nippy inside the car this morning and its done it again since then. Seemed to start doing it yesterday. This doesn't sound quite the same as the problem reported earlier in the thread.

• 5 years later...

We have had this problem three times now.

Yesterday we were driving along when the windows all opened on their own.  The key fob was in the ignition of course, and so no buttons had been inadvertently pressed. 

On other occasions the car was on our drive with the key fob hanging on a hook in the hall.

There's a problem and it needs sorting.

Any ideas please.

The rocker button on the centre console by the handbrake will also open/close all the windows if it is held down either one way or the other (unlock/lock). Could it be something holding that button down, or has it had liquid spilt on it causing it to stick?

Jim 

Edited by muddyjim

Similar to Upsidedown's 'Magical Dancing Windows' just about a year ago?  Speedsport had previously posted the answer:   

My 'big' Yeti (which I had from new) developed a habit of dropping a window (any of them) fairly frequently but I didn't have any more trouble after following this procedure *for each window individually*.   No problem (to date) on my 'baby' Yeti. 

As Brijo intimated I had a similar problem about a year ago. I was also intermittently loosing the single switch function on the windows - fixed each time, but only temporarily, using the ' standard' technique.  My (then) local dealer found that there was an official Skoda software patch which once applied cured the dancing windows problem. The patch also seems to have resolved the window switch issue as I have not had to re-set them since.

• Thanks 1