Traction Control

Lee

A couple of times now I have pulled away briskly (definitely not "foot to the floor!"); once in the dry and once on a slightly damp road. Both times the front wheels 'scrabbled' for grip with no sign of the traction control cutting-in.

Would this indicate a fault with it?

Thanks

Hmm, interesting.

The TC on my MK1 vRS seemed to be well-calibrated, it only cut in when really needed and was not intrusive at all. I wonder if Skoda are planning an update to the TC software/operation on the MK2 vRS???

Hmm, interesting.

The TC on my MK1 vRS seemed to be well-calibrated, it only cut in when really needed and was not intrusive at all. I wonder if Skoda are planning an update to the TC software/operation on the MK2 vRS???

But by the way you're describing it it's the other way round, it sounds as it's now more forgiving and resisting to intervene, no?

But by the way you're describing it it's the other way round, it sounds as it's now more forgiving and resisting to intervene, no?

I have yet to see/hear/feel the TC on the MK2 vRS activate at all. In both instances I was more surprised to hear the wheels scramble for traction and would have expected the TC to manage this accordingly.

I wonder if the TC on the MK1 is set-up to allow for the increased torque available on that engine?

I'm putting it down to more power and being able to manage it. When I first had it ASR would kick it a lot but when I stopped messing about and fed the throttle in more evenly it was fine. Still flashes now and again especially when accelerating on bends. If you have it off and you see a flashing light I presume that's ESP interfering and not traction control. Have had ESP kick in once and you knew it.

I have yet to see/hear/feel the TC on the MK2 vRS activate at all. In both instances I was more surprised to hear the wheels scramble for traction and would have expected the TC to manage this accordingly.

I wonder if the TC on the MK1 is set-up to allow for the increased torque available on that engine?

Do you mean you've never seen the yellow ESP/TCS icon flash during hard acceleration? That's difficult to believe as there is so much torque available if you put your foot down while in and out of roundabouts... What I mean is you may actually have an issue there, I think all of us have experienced TCS intervene when flooring it, especially If you don't have the best of tyres (My winters (Nexen) do it a lot more than the Dunlops). I see it flashing almost everyday, when I am at that big roundabout before work (It's not my fault, the others are just too bl@@dy slow! :p )

Another point (that sharkrider beat me to), is that the same icon is flashing whether its the ESP or the TCS engaging so you can only know which one is it, only by judging from the situation. That being said, if you've switched TCS off (that means you have a yellow icon constantly ON, on the left side of the display) and see a yellow icon flashing momentarily on the right side of your display, I'd bet it's the ESP intervening, or at it least it should be like that.

Edited by newbie69

The traction control alsi switches it self back on buy its self as well. I think its related to the suspention set up appearing to be compromised and the sheer amount of power and that its delivered in a digital manor

No, never seen the TC/ESP light illuminate other than when it's doing a self-test at ignition-on or if deactivated via the dashboard switch.

I don't drive like a learner (wahahaaa!) and use the engine as it shoud be across the rev range. ABS seems to be working ok as that has triggered a couple of times.

Maybe it's subjective but the power/torque delviery of the diesel vRS seemed to be more controlable and you could almost sense whether the TC would trigger. Could be just a familiarity thing.

No, never seen the TC/ESP light illuminate other than when it's doing a self-test at ignition-on or if deactivated via the dashboard switch.

I don't drive like a learner (wahahaaa!) and use the engine as it shoud be across the rev range. ABS seems to be working ok as that has triggered a couple of times.

Maybe it's subjective but the power/torque delviery of the diesel vRS seemed to be more controlable and you could almost sense whether the TC would trigger. Could be just a familiarity thing.

Let the others speak as well, but I would find very strange for a vRS owner that does not drive as learner as you said, not having seen the TCS/ESP flashing at least a few times... :think:

I'm clearly not driving it hard enough!

It's either that or a fault apparently. However I don't think it needs to be that hard driven for the TCS to flash, quite the opposite! Entering roundabouts from a stand still is a great occasion to test this! :giggle: