what a weird day.

M1k32102

Well I went to my local rolling road today go see how many horses my little 1.4 has left, and I was in for little surprise.

readout.png

so after my little shock i had the garage to do a little digging for me and I found that not only had my car gained 40 BHP it is also been tuned by ABT. so got the blower to ABT to confirm it and gave them my VIN and other info and hey presto my car is on their database. and was tuned on july 12th 2005.

so went digging some more though the service history and found the details of 1st owner and contacted him and he told me that he took all the ABT badges off because he didn't like them. WTF so brought new badges from ABT and they should be here with in 2 weeks hopefully :-)

i though my car was a little fast. so I'm now only 40 BHP off my 180 BHP target. so now my VRS badges can come off.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thing to find. To put a negative spin on it, what would have happened if you needed to make a claim on insurance and they found that. As you genuinely didnt know it was on there but I somehow think you would have a hard job getting insurance compant to believe you.

With the VAG 16v engines a properly flowed inlet to head to exhaust can work wonders. If its blueprinted, ported, polished and runs a lighter crank people can quite easily get 40bhp out of the older 16vs in Mk2 Golf GTIs and the like. Don't see why it isn't possible for a 1.4 16v.

My Corrado can gain 20bhp just from a set of cams!

If its ABT tuned i'd imagine they've thrown quite a wedge of cash at it.

Congrats chap! Bloody good to find out. :giggle:

Edited by Jonneh

As above.......better, smoother, breathing, and combustion.......now I know that a proven 140bhp can be had from them.....this confirms my thoughts that with the increased response/feel of mine after the mods I've done to it which would be similar to part of the spec to get the 140bhp...... feel more confident in saying mine has a good 10 to 15bhp more than standard!!!..... B)

Must defo get mine on rollers sometime....but nobody up here... :S ........and what is the exact spec of the ABT mods??????

P.S.......just looked at your photos in your build....defo not a standard exhust very small back box and looks a slightly larger pipe dia'......any pics of the engine bay?????

Well that's a nice little surprise!

Does get you thinking though. It would be very easy to just buy a car with some internal engine mods or a remap etc... basically things you can't see from outside/under the bonnet... and you would never know. The you have an accident and if the isurers found out some how then you will be up the creek without a paddle!

Now: about those brakes you didnt think were quite up to it . . ;)

They ain't up to the standard 100bhp....let alone 140bhp......... :giggle:

I knew these engines where used in group N rallying as the car is great for it........I wonder how they got about the Magnetti Marrelli ECU as It's a barsteward to do.....well all the people I spoke to said they wouldn't touch it....but if it had the Bosch version it would be better?????......

I recon

Bigger free-er exhaust from front to back

Better air filter/whole system

Iridium spark plugs

New Cams

Re map the ECU

ported/polished

B)

Had an email from ABT today with a the list of mods I have no idea what level 2 is and I have asked for more clarification but I am waiting for a reply so for now, the list of mods.

ABT - POWER INCREASEMENT

Skoda Fabia (6J) 1,4 ltr. 16v from 99 HP to approx. 140 HP

consisting of: ECU (AEC) Remap level 2, bracket set, cable harness, iridium spark plugs, mounting

kit, camshaft upgrade level 2, ignition lead upgrade, air filter replacement and upgrade level 2

ABT - SUSPENSION INCREASEMENT

Skoda Fabia (6J) 1,4 ltr. 16v

consisting of: reinforced front and rear springs

ABT - POWER INCREASEMENT

Skoda Fabia (6J) 1,4 ltr. 16v from 99 HP to approx. 140 HP

consisting of: ECU (AEC) Remap level 2, bracket set, cable harness, iridium spark plugs, mounting

kit, camshaft upgrade level 2, ignition lead upgrade, air filter replacement and upgrade level 2

And they missed of the different exhaust that you have....so could just be the back box....

Could you upload some pics of the engine bay???....would like to see what they did to the airfilter.....as is sounds more than just a direct replacement filter in OEM box

I wonder whose leads they use to the spark plugs??...any pics?????

And they missed of the different exhaust that you have....so could just be the back box....

Could you upload some pics of the engine bay???....would like to see what they did to the airfilter.....as is sounds more than just a direct replacement filter in OEM box

I wonder whose leads they use to the spark plugs??...any pics?????

i don't know about the leads as they look standard but the spark plugs are NGK Iridium as for the air filter i will take some pics tomorrow but it looks like and OEM But says ABT printed on it and its red.

oh and the exhaust is a power flow back box I had fitted.

i don't know about the leads as they look standard but the spark plugs are NGK Iridium as for the air filter i will take some pics tomorrow but it looks like and OEM But says ABT printed on it and its red.

oh and the exhaust is a power flow back box I had fitted.

So the leads are red coloured or black???.........And the filter is a panel type fitted in to the underside of the big black plastic engine cover????

The leads are red and yes its a panel filter that fits under the engine cover. but the filter is bigger that and OEM because the garage couldn't change it when i had my service.

AS for the

wrong translation.......means "stiffer springs"

You defo have a lower stance than i do......could be the optional dealer fit "lowering springs" made by Eibach

So it looks like they kept the standard exhaust and the standard filter postion with just a bigger filter in the housing or a modified housing to accept a bigger panel filter..........jeepers....!!!!......no wonder mine feels fast as I have a Remus back box and a much free-er breathing CAI system!!!....Oh and I fitted the same spark plugs about 6yrs ago!!!......obviously they do work!!!!!!!

So I wonder what mine would make with a cam swap and an ECU re-mapp??....150bhp??????........christ!!!! :o

Can't wait for the full detailed info....

145bhp is doable from the Lupo/Polo engines with an exhaust (inc. manifold), filter, remap (I think the remap gave 7 of those). I'd be surprised if you got up to 150bhp with just cams over that list on an AUB, as the engine starts down by 25% in the first place.

Have a look over on Club Lupo, they're more into these engines than this site is. 150bhp would be serious money I think. Seems to be suggested that cams = max 25bhp, breathing mods up to 5, remap up to 8. That's a total of 38bhp maximum, and I think those cam figures are a little optimistic personally.

Seems to be suggested that cams = max 25bhp, breathing mods up to 5, remap up to 8. That's a total of 38bhp maximum, and I think those cam figures are a little optimistic personally.

So if the cams are worth a max of 25bhp, then in the ABT kit a panel filter, NGK Iridium spark plugs, new leads?, and a remap are worth 15bhp!......

So as I said......I have over and above the ABT kit, a free-er/bigger flowing CAI system, free-er flowing Remus back box, plus the engine is properly run-in........So if I got the ECU and cams (the only things I don't have) then I recon 150bhp.......!!!!

P.S. just had a look at the Club Lupo site........jesus!!!!.....getting 185bhp up to 220 out of a nat asp 1.6lt version (lupo gti).....and they say the cam carrier from the 1.4S (1.4 100bhp) is better than the 1.6lt version........and that both engines really need to breath...so fit better air intake/filter systems and exhausts......and they recommend the BMC filter system......which I think is pants compared to the one I made based on a Green Cotton Twister filter.....hhhhmmmmm....no wonder mine pulls so well.. :giggle: