Low oil warning ?

jonny boy

What's the score with the oil warning light ?

I have just put in 1 litre of Mobil 1 (random check) because the dipstick showed nothing on it.

surely there's an 'low oil' warning light to alert the driver that the engine will soon explode ?

Maybe the one armed, 90 year old man that assembled the car late Friday afternoon forgot that one ? ;)

Yes yellow and red lights on VAG cars... had yellow light after a service on our work van which was odd... dipstick read no oil even though it had an oil change at VW lol

Rang them up gave them an earful, free service next time :)

Jonny has the revo stage 1 brought issues for you regarding the oil usage ?

To be honest, it's used about 2 litres of Mobil 1 in 4300 miles. That's OK to me, it's just the fact that I had absolutely ZERO warning that there's an oil issue in the engine. I've just done 500 miles recently and knew it needed checking.

I wouldn't mind it if I were a lazy bugger, but like most of the skoda 'enthusiasts' here, we cherish our hard earned and look after it.

If there were a genuine oil leak and I had no warning, then we all know what would happen to the engine. Maybe that would be a good thing. :blush:

Do you not check it on a regular basis?

I check mine at least once a month.

LOL ! If I checked my oil in the same frequency as you do, my engine would be history by now :giggle:

In answer to your question, it's checked very frequently. It's only 9 weeks old .....

If you've got a DSG need to check it just before you drive it, during and after then again before bed lol

I haven't opened my bonnet since way before Christmas! :p

(thats actually a lie, but I needent have, havent touched anything ;) )

Ah but do you drive it like its stolen ;) that's why you don't use any oil ?

Not actually. That's just a stereotype which has been busted many times in this forum. I don't think the driving students drive sharkrider's car like they stole it... And neither do I drive mine like a lunatic all of the time. Yet, I haven't checked the oil since before Christmas and I barely check more than 1 per month. Whenever I do, I never see a significant drop in the oil level so it's all down to the few "lucky" ones that have increased consumption. It would be good If the above statement was accurate as the owners would know what to do from day one but on the contrary, most of the people with high consumption, are the ones that give it the beans more than others. I don't imply the opposite is correct (beans = high consumption), not at all, I just point out that probably these two don't relate as much as we thought they did.

And as the other thread has proven, the true percentage of cars with increased consumption is minimum. Let's also not forget all of the owners outside briskoda who never bothered registering here as their cars run fine. So I think at the end some people just love slating the vrs's engine blah blah.... Fine, go ahead...

Not actually. That's just a stereotype which has been busted many times in this forum. I don't think the driving students drive sharkrider's car like they stole it... And neither do I drive mine like a lunatic all of the time. Yet, I haven't checked the oil since before Christmas and I barely check more than 1 per month. Whenever I do, I never see a significant drop in the oil level so it's all down to the few "lucky" ones that have increased consumption. It would be good If the above statement was accurate as the owners would know what to do from day one but on the contrary, most of the people with high consumption, are the ones that give it the beans more than others. I don't imply the opposite is correct (beans = high consumption), not at all, I just point out that probably these two don't relate as much as we thought they did.

And as the other thread has proven, the true percentage of cars with increased consumption is minimum. Let's also not forget all of the owners outside briskoda who never bothered registering here as their cars run fine. So I think at the end some people just love slating the vrs's engine blah blah.... Fine, go ahead...

Here we go again ;)

Well, whoopy do for you and your perfect car.

Have a little understanding for the one's who have been seriously inconvenienced by faulty £16k cars.

If your car was faulty after literally day one, then think about that. It's not about 'slating' as you put it, VW are the biggest manufacturer of cars in the world and oil consumption issues, faulty Climatronics, wiper motors that nearly cause fires, vibrating door cards, creaking suspensions etc etc etc (or as you put it, blah, blah)

and that's on a 9 week old car.

Maybe the huge majority of Skoda drivers aren't interested in forums either. I'll bet there's many 1.4 twincharged VW engine owners out there with cars that drink oil that costs over £40 A GALLON !

It's bad news. Period.

Well, whoopy do for you and your perfect car.

Have a little understanding for the one's who have been seriously inconvenienced by faulty £16k cars.

If your car was faulty after literally day one, then think about that. It's not about 'slating' as you put it, VW are the biggest manufacturer of cars in the world and oil consumption issues, faulty Climatronics, wiper motors that nearly cause fires, vibrating door cards, creaking suspensions etc etc etc (or as you put it, blah, blah)

and that's on a 9 week old car.

Maybe the huge majority of Skoda drivers aren't interested in forums either. I'll bet there's many 1.4 twincharged VW engine owners out there with cars that drink oil that costs over £40 A GALLON !

It's bad news. Period.

I believe my message reached its "recipient", and that wasn't you ;) .

First of all I have all the understanding of the world for the ones that have problems as I've been there many times in the past. Now I didn't say mine was the one to decide whether these cars are ok or not, but neither should yours or anyone else's alone. It's the majority that matters and from what I've seen so far on the other thread, the majority hasn't got oil consumption problems. It's not like I feel proud that mine doesn't drink oil or anything silly like that as it may develop this habit in the future AFAIK. But If still, by that time, I saw that most other vrs's ran ok I would accept I got a bad one and then decide how I'd go on with it. (Claim repair under warranty? sell it?)

I mean, let's be decent with ourselves. If 3-4 of us gather together and talk, each one of us will have heard of someone whose engine/gearbox blew at 5K miles and then swore he'd never buy a Skoda/VW/BMW/Nissan (you name it) again, and until today keeps telling everyone to stay away from this brand because of his awful experience. This is understandable from the customer's point of view, but If forums trully represented the actual situation on all cars out there, there should be no safe brand to choose from in the entire world...

Finally, I know you probably don't give a d45mn right now, but I'd like to remind you your own words some time ago when I questioned remapping and warranty work, and you saying (roughly) how proven VW/Skoda cars and their technology have been, (especially the TSI engine) and how much faith you have in them for producing a good car (which is smt I agree with). Certainly that can't have changed over a few months can it?

I believe my message reached its "recipient", and that wasn't you ;) .

First of all I have all the understanding of the world for the ones that have problems as I've been there many times in the past. Now I didn't say mine was the one to decide whether these cars are ok or not, but neither should yours or anyone else's alone. It's the majority that matters and from what I've seen so far on the other thread, the majority hasn't got oil consumption problems. It's not like I feel proud that mine doesn't drink oil or anything silly like that as it may develop this habit in the future AFAIK. But If still, by that time, I saw that most other vrs's ran ok I would accept I got a bad one and then decide how I'd go on with it. (Claim repair under warranty? sell it?)

I mean, let's be decent with ourselves. If 3-4 of us gather together and talk, each one of us will have heard of someone whose engine/gearbox blew at 5K miles and then swore he'd never buy a Skoda/VW/BMW/Nissan (you name it) again, and until today keeps telling everyone to stay away from this brand because of his awful experience. This is understandable from the customer's point of view, but If forums trully represented the actual situation on all cars out there, there should be no safe brand to choose from in the entire world...

Finally, I know you probably don't give a d45mn right now, but I'd like to remind you your own words some time ago when I questioned remapping and warranty work, and you saying (roughly) how proven VW/Skoda cars and their technology have been, (especially the TSI engine) and how much faith you have in them for producing a good car (which is smt I agree with). Certainly that can't have changed over a few months can it?

No worries newbie.

Absolutely not as far as my faith with VW goes, just that the combination of very recent faults (oh there's another one. The paint has 'rubbed off' where the rubber on the parcel shelf touches the tailgate) we'll let that one slide for now .....

I do understand that there will be guys who will take every opportunity to knock Skoda when there's issues, I had the Mk1 VRS, what a massive mistake I made selling it, but hey, we all make them.

That was my last experience with Skoda, a great one.

Now, I did do some research on the Mk2 (not too much as I'm not a complete geek) but didn't quite get to grips with the oil consumption issues, but another thing that hacks me off is the lack of dealer feedback that the customer receives. Like the fact that it needs a minimum of 98 RON.

I live in the middle of nowhere (well, I can get 97RON) but that is below what Skoda recommends even for the standard engine. It was never mentioned, and neither does Skoda mention this pretty important fact, considering the 'misfire' issues that many of us have had.

But the recent problems that I've had are nothing to do with my remap. Just a combination of several electrical issues which have been a pain in the ass (one of which had potential for fire in the car). That's serious, and the very reason I'm in the current frame of mind with the car. If you were in my place, you'd have a rant as well.

Rant over ...... For now :giggle:

I can see why you're ****ed off and it's understandable. It's all being sorted by the dealer though yeah? If that's the case then there's isn't a problem. Sure it could have caused a fire but if it had Skoda would be footing the bill. Stuff like this happens on all marques. Look how many Ferrari 458's have caught fire. Pointless worrying about stuff you can't do much about. Hopefully these problems will be sorted and the car will be fine and you can start enjoying it again

No worries newbie.

Absolutely not as far as my faith with VW goes, just that the combination of very recent faults (oh there's another one. The paint has 'rubbed off' where the rubber on the parcel shelf touches the tailgate) we'll let that one slide for now .....

I do understand that there will be guys who will take every opportunity to knock Skoda when there's issues, I had the Mk1 VRS, what a massive mistake I made selling it, but hey, we all make them.

That was my last experience with Skoda, a great one.

Now, I did do some research on the Mk2 (not too much as I'm not a complete geek) but didn't quite get to grips with the oil consumption issues, but another thing that hacks me off is the lack of dealer feedback that the customer receives. Like the fact that it needs a minimum of 98 RON.

I live in the middle of nowhere (well, I can get 97RON) but that is below what Skoda recommends even for the standard engine. It was never mentioned, and neither does Skoda mention this pretty important fact, considering the 'misfire' issues that many of us have had.

But the recent problems that I've had are nothing to do with my remap. Just a combination of several electrical issues which have been a pain in the ass (one of which had potential for fire in the car). That's serious, and the very reason I'm in the current frame of mind with the car. If you were in my place, you'd have a rant as well.

Rant over ...... For now :giggle:

I'd surely have!!! That's the normal thing to do unless you're some kind of a monk... I even was half way where you are when I started noticing small rattles and noises after the initial enthousiasm wore out. But then I stoppped and though about what car I had in my hands (as a total), at what price, and then I jumped in to a few other new cars of friends... That sorted it and I was back to "happy"...

Just one more regarding oil consumption, I think we are maybe all looking to the wrong direction. Quite a few things have been suspected responsible for the high consumption some people have but none of them has been verified when tested to different cars. I mean you have drivers that raged it from day one and others who drove it like a baby. Drivers that only ever put ron 98 in it and others who'd throw anything inside as long as it writes "petrol" on. At the end though, the troubling engines are completely random between all these categories and don't share any common characteristics in order to arrive to a safe conclusion. So, imho, it's something that comes higher up the life cycle of the car, the production line probably. Specific bunches of TSI engines? Engines that come from a specific factory but not the other? I really don't have a clue but since all our practical advice on this subject has proven almost useless It's the only thing I'm left to believe...

ahh Jon fella ;) I was the opposite! I had a mark I vRS, and although I loved the car, the gearbox self destructed at 45k and the console bused died + the EGR valve, and numerous wheel bearings,and skoda wouldn't replace the console bushes under warrenty, stating it was wear and tear (even though they later produced a modified part as it WAS substandard manufacturing, and should have been replaced under warrenty as "not fit for purpose" ) and they lost me as a customer, went and got my fiat grande punto sporting, mapped at 4k , ran to 110k absolutley problem free!!!!!! and what do people say about fiats? it was way better than my mark I vRS, never let me down... (and its handles as well as the mark II... always wondered what an abarth would be like...)

now the mark II , problem free (apart from delaminating alloys) at 25k ....

kind of ironic we have had opposite experiances!

I hope you get it sorted and working, its a good car, drives way better than mine now ;)