Unidentifiable Sound

Lee

Has anyone else experienced the following...

Doesn't happen all the time but sometimes around 3000rpm a, what can only be described as, 'tinkling' sound appears and disappears around 4000rpm. Not particularly metallic in sound and I wondered if it was pre-ignition/knocking or a gearbox-related sound? Appears to happen when the engine is up to temperature too.

Any pointers would be welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

The undentifiable sound is now going to be hopefully identified by a Dealer Service Department. I've described all symptoms and circumstances so they should be able to pin-down and rectify. Oddly, the chap on in the Service Dept said "You could always call Skoda Assistance first" but I would prefer the car to be looked at in a workshop with the associated extra facilities etc to sort out once-and-for-all so it's going in!

could be the fuel pump. fuel pressure regulating valve that makes a tinkling pinking ringing noise The fuel presure is 150psi so you get like a metalic sound

Edited by skoda1982

• 2 weeks later...

Further update...

The Service Manager came out in the car with me to hear the noise which eventually cropped-up despite a few runs round the block! His deduction was a potential problem with the variable valve timing system so they had it into the workshop but no fault codes were registered and the car didn't seem to be down on power or driving adversely. For comparison, they took the demo vRS out and upon return they said it was making the same noise but even worse!

The net result is they are going to log the problem with Skoda (and subsequently VAG) and let me know if there are any known issues with the TSI engine and if a recall is required then it will of course all be sorted under warranty.

Obviously I'm not sure if it's the same sound but I was wondering if it might result is something similar to this:

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/24125-TSI-catastrophic-engine-failure

I do hope not!

Lee that could be a 2.0T TSI as all called TSI and I didn't see him mention Polo or Golf? Just TSI?

Hope its all fine, quite worrying really! I have my first servcie in about 3 weeks and know the garage/techs quite well so will get them to go over it with a toothcomb! Upon warranty ending i'll p/x it for a new Fabia (if its out) or a Rapid Estate. Or, end up buying a years extended warranty :)

Keep us posted Lee, I think I have have the same sound, and the dealer couldn't find it but said they tightened all the heat sheilds!

To me mine sounds like old fashioned "pinking" and I only here it when the enginine is under load, and it appears worse if i have to put a splash of 95 unleaded in!

Keep us posted Lee, I think I have have the same sound, and the dealer couldn't find it but said they tightened all the heat sheilds!

To me mine sounds like old fashioned "pinking" and I only here it when the enginine is under load, and it appears worse if i have to put a splash of 95 unleaded in!

Pinking was my first thought when I heard the sound initially so I wondered if there was a faulty knock sensor? Like you the sound makes itself heard under load and, as a slight revision to my first post on this subject, between 2000 - 3000rpm then disappears. I've only filled the tank with 95 unleaded once (last year) so am hoping the engine is running ok in all other areas.

Watch this space.

Pinking was my first thought when I heard the sound initially so I wondered if there was a faulty knock sensor? Like you the sound makes itself heard under load and, as a slight revision to my first post on this subject, between 2000 - 3000rpm then disappears. I've only filled the tank with 95 unleaded once (last year) so am hoping the engine is running ok in all other areas.

Watch this space.

Out of interest Lee, does yours use any oil? Only mine is curently using 1l every 900miles or so.

Out of interest Lee, does yours use any oil? Only mine is curently using 1l every 900miles or so.

Compared to some folk on here with a vRS I would say my own is quite frugal with oil use. It's used just under two litres in almost 3k miles which, going by some of the 'horror' stories, is pretty good.

I'm thinknig of moving from the (handbook) recommended 5w40 502 00 spec oil to 5w30 504 00 so would be interested to see if that makes a difference to oil consumption.

Edited by Lee

• 1 month later...

Further update...

The Service Manager came out in the car with me to hear the noise which eventually cropped-up despite a few runs round the block! His deduction was a potential problem with the variable valve timing system so they had it into the workshop but no fault codes were registered and the car didn't seem to be down on power or driving adversely. For comparison, they took the demo vRS out and upon return they said it was making the same noise but even worse!

The net result is they are going to log the problem with Skoda (and subsequently VAG) and let me know if there are any known issues with the TSI engine and if a recall is required then it will of course all be sorted under warranty.

Obviously I'm not sure if it's the same sound but I was wondering if it might result is something similar to this:

http://volkswagenown...-engine-failure

I do hope not!

Any further updates on this sound/problem?

No, nothing further to report other than the sound is still there but does not seem to be affecting performance of the car or gearbox.

I believe another thread was started along a similar line:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/239506-dsg-rattle/page__hl__+dsg%20+rattle#entry2825134

I may contact the Dealer to see if there has been anything official from Skoda/VAG and will report back.