BKR7EIX or BKR8EIX spark plugs?

I forgot to mention mine is standard (at the moment).

I can't see that making much difference though, I imagine the plugs are still baked looking at other peoples pictures and my current rough idle.

I got this information via PM, anyone got any thoughts on it?

(thanks to the original poster)

VW PZFR6R 8EG (part number) double platinum (for rs & polo gti) Forget the iridium if u r not tuned, and you will changed them faster from the platinum..more often

I have Revo Stage 1 and there's no difference at all.

Between 7's and 8's or between original plugs and NGKs?

Anybody ordered and fitted the recommended VW replacement plugs?

Between 7's and 8's or between original plugs and NGKs?

Anybody ordered and fitted the recommended VW replacement plugs?

Yep, I have had two spark plug failures. Last time I bought a set from the Interweb and got the dealer to fit after no fault found (warning lights came on after missfires). Problem solved; may try cooler plugs next time, probably 7's.

Tony

I'm only fitting the plugs as a matter of maintenance, after seeing the state of some of the original plugs by some members on here.

I have a slight rough idle, but that's it. Previous misfires have been seemingly unrelated.

Looks like the BXR8EIX are the way to go for replacement.

I'm only fitting the plugs as a matter of maintenance, after seeing the state of some of the original plugs by some members on here.

I have a slight rough idle, but that's it. Previous misfires have been seemingly unrelated.

Looks like the BXR8EIX are the way to go for replacement.

Don't forget, the coil packs are a bit fiddly to remove and the one by the drivers side is a complete **** ! :@

Don't forget, the coil packs are a bit fiddly to remove and the one by the drivers side is a complete **** ! :@

Getting the garage to do it for 9 quid mate :) he is a master tech apparently, so I'm hoping he can do it!

Before I order, the 8EIXs obviously need to get up to a considerably higher temperature than stock to clean themselves, I assume our engines won't have a problem with that even on standard?

Before I order, the 8EIXs obviously need to get up to a considerably higher temperature than stock to clean themselves, I assume our engines won't have a problem with that even on standard?

You could probably melt rocks under a warmed up VRS bonnet, so yeah, no worries there :giggle:

• Like 1

You could probably melt rocks under a warmed up VRS bonnet, so yeah, no worries there :giggle:

This is true, the amount of times I've gone to pop the bonnet and burnt myself on the bonnet holding arm from it being hot...even some time after!

Thanks for the replies anyway, 8EIXs getting ordered now!

I melted the tips of my index finger and thumb changing the spring in my dump valve when it was hot.......think iv learned me lesson about fiddling with hot engines now :(

Why? With revo stage 1???

With what settings?

Why ? Who knows ? :think: Revo stage 1, Yes.

SPS is set on 2, which is the correct setting for 98/99 RON fuel. Setting 1 is stock, setting 3 is for race fuel 102+ RON

It doesn't happen every time, just when you plant your foot and leave it there up to the limiter.

Why ? Who knows ? :think: Revo stage 1, Yes.

SPS is set on 2, which is the correct setting for 98/99 RON fuel. Setting 1 is stock, setting 3 is for race fuel 102+ RON

It doesn't happen every time, just when you plant your foot and leave it there up to the limiter.

I have exactly the same issue with 98/99ron settings and I am waiting a new update file of the REVO as I was told.

I bought also the NGK BKR7EIX.

Lets see what will happen.....

I have exactly the same issue with 98/99ron settings and I am waiting a new update file of the REVO as I was told.

I bought also the NGK BKR7EIX.

Lets see what will happen.....

Let me know what happens. Never knew anything about a new update ? :blush:

I am not an expert but I think NGK classify their spark plugs from hot to cool as the number increases (Champion do it the other way round). So a 7 plug runs warmer than an 8.

This means that a 7 plug will stay clean longer running around town or in slow traffic. In this situation an 8 plug may get oily and misfiring results usually on the coolest cylinder first (one othe end ones). An 8 plug will withstand the heat better when driving fast.

The danger is that with the 7 plug, it gets too hot and you get pre-ignition from the glowing tip of the plug rather than the spark. This can destroy an engine as the effective ignition timing is anything and this happens when the engine is delivery full power.

NGK plgs are pretty good and there is a fairly broad tolerance range on temperature and oiling. However, if you have a retuned car and drive fast or plan a track day, fit cooler plugs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A set of 8's bit the dust today.

Put in only half a tank of Sainsburys Super unleaded last night to brim it, and blamed that for the rough running,

so gave it a fill up with Momemtum 99 and still not right.

Checked the plugs and past their best after only 8,000 miles, 

I hope the 7's fitted now do better than 7,000

george