Yeti's van brother

I was in Istanbul for work the other week and saw so many of these there and it struck me how (side on) these really could have been a passenger van brother to the Yeti. I've never noticed them before as such (maybe since they are super scarce in the UK as a passenger car version) but it struck me how similar the glass line is (albeit stretched over all the windows and not in two halves as the Yeti's is front and back).

BUT boy did they ruin that car when they got to the nose! Those bulbous headlights and the Audi grille really does not work with the rest of the car. Even the sort of all glass rear hatch works nicely with the sides. But that nose. No thanks.

ram-passenger-van-doblo-40542-7.jpg

DSC02125(1).JPG

Fiat+Doblo+nieuw+1,+new,+yeni.jpg

Fiat+Doblo+nieuw+2new,+yeni.jpg

But look at this one I also found when trying to find the images above. People say the Yeti looks like a Matra Simca Rancho but look at this below. It is the previous shape Doblo in a pseudo 4x4 mode - called a Doblo Adventure in South America:

Frontal_Lateral_Fiat_Doblo_Adventure_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

...it struck me how (side on) these really could have been a passenger van brother to the Yeti.

BUT boy did they ruin that car when they got to the nose! Those bulbous headlights and the Audi grille really does not work with the rest of the car. Even the sort of all glass rear hatch works nicely with the sides. But that nose. No thanks.

I can partially agree with you about comparing a 2nd gen. Doblo to a Yeti in terms of design.

IMO, they completely ruined it. Maybe the only good part is the rear hatch, but for me it doesn't work with the rest of the weird designed van. It reminds me the Kia Soul (side design)- don't like it either.

To me, the best designed Doblo was the 1st gen. Even the 2005 facelift was worse.

Well, I owned one for 11 years ! It looked like that (even the colour of mine):

http://www.autointel...doblo-02-90.jpg

A picture I found on google I remember from 2001. One of the pictures that made me order it in "carioca yellow" !

Also liked the tall "bumper plastic" back corner trims around the tail lights - I found them usefull when bumping on them shoping carts without damaging the paintwork while loading the products in the huge 700 l. (rear seats unfolded / shelf in place) boot:

http://www.carfani.c...oblo-engine.jpg

Right with the 2005 facelift, those 2 original design items (the front and the rear) - have gone for ever !

Looks I'm a bit nostalgic on the Doblo...

But in terms of driving pleasure - no car I drove or owned untill now - compares to the Yeti !

Edited by rafi_arch

I had a red one once as a rental in Spain as one of the two cars we booked to get all seven of us to our villa. And yes I was called Postman Pat the entire trip. They even bought me a black and white cat to hang from the mirror. Bless. Was a lovely car though. Honest, eager and HUGE inside with a great view out. But to my eyes, pig ugly. As a van there's no harm in that, but as a family car I want some joy in looking at my pride and joy. Which the Yeti gives me ample thankfully.

Was thinkinh this thread was going to show a Yeti without rear windows (replaced by steel) and turned into a Van. Bet it would make a good van with the size of the boot without the seats

Was thinkinh this thread was going to show a Yeti without rear windows (replaced by steel) and turned into a Van. Bet it would make a good van with the size of the boot without the seats

Something like this?

(Quick sketch in Photoshop :angel: ) :

Yeti-van.jpg

• Like 1

yes exactly what I was thinking.

Now make it a 2 door, add a bulk head and you've got a baby landrover defender alternative!!

But without the extreme off-road capability!

Who remembers the Felicia vans? They were the 4 door estates, still with the side doors but with the windows panelled over. They sold many in Holland because of some strange internal tax rules.

They sold many in Holland because of some strange internal tax rules.

Basically if you blinded out the rear and side windows and took out the rear seats the VAT was much lower. Before the loophole was closed it was an attractive option. Things like a Peugeot 205 GTi were popular