Chrome Alloy Corrosion 'offer'

Just had chat with my dealer; DM Keith Skoda Osett/Wakefield, about my alloys.

Two months ago I took the car in, they took pics of the alloys to send to Skoda.

Today, my first service, they offered to replace them for £600 (which i should pay) and try and reclaim the cash from Skoda.

My Chrome alloys are immaculate, aside from this 'clouding' under the lacquer (more apparent on the backs). It obviously a common and well documented manufacturing defect - not fit for purpose.

Any thoughts or advice on my next steps (before I release the fury)?! The car is at the garage and I have their Yeti.

I have had two replaced - no issues. They weren't marked or anything. Its a common fault with diamond cut alloys but only affects a certain few - some the machines miss with enough laquer maybe.

Your Dealer or the person you are speaking to at your Dealership is being a cheeky monkey.

I hope you took their name and asked them to put that response and offer in writing!

** Did you get an Official Response in writing from Skoda to your Warranty Issue on the subject of the Wheels and the condition following the photographs being taken and forwarded by the Dealership?**

Fire off an Email as well as an 'Enquiry' to Skoda UK 'Customer Services' from their Skoda UK website 'Enquiry section'

and tell them what you just told us.

(might as well put a link to this thread in the Email,

they seem to be getting the point now when they get back to the Dealers that dont understand the Power of the Net.)

I would also send copies of the Email that went to Skoda UK to the Dealerships Managing Director & Workshop Manager.

'Skoda Dealerships' need to stop taking the Mick with Warranty Issues, they are doing Skoda no good. JMO obviously.

george

Edited by sk4gw

'Skoda Dealerships' need to stop taking the Mick with Warranty Issues, they are doing Skoda no good. JMO obviously.

george

The old Skoda dealership by me did exactly this and Skoda took the franchise off them and gave it to Sinclairs who've been great ever since. Polar opposite to the old shower

Thanks for tips, have no intention of even thinking about paying! Think the alloys are about £94 new inc. VAT on the web, so £600 is miles off - it's an insult and then some.

This has annoyed me considerably - two months have passed since I took it in.

Nor have they managed to replace the lose trim (passenger side under dash) which is a common fault.

I now have the car back, and am waiting for a call from the colleage who is on holiday, who they say can make the decisions.

I just called into Park's in Hamilton this morning as there's some light corrosion on all four alloys.

I was probably a bit too honest as said there were a couple of small dinks in two of the alloys (after reading on here that Skoda won't pay if an alloy has been kerbed, damaged due to pothole etc. The nsf had a dink when I bought it from Park's - car was a year old when I bought it - wasn't too fussed at the time as not unexpected on a used car). However, he didn't pay any attention to that; took some photos and said he'll fire them off to Skoda. Have to say, the guy was spot on - very friendly and helpful.

Will see what happens - if Skoda met me halfway on cost I'd be reasonably all right about it (although ideally would like all four replaced at no cost!!).

If I do get the alloys replaced wondering whether to go with the standard plain silver ones - assume they don't have the same corrosion problems? I'm concerned that if I get another set of dark chrome alloys the same will happen again at some point down the road.

This is common practice.

The dealer submits a claim to Skoda, Skoda either accept or decline the claim.

If the claim is accepted the dealer is then able to order the replacement wheels and is reimbursed by Skoda UK when they are fitted and the case is closed.

They are simply trying to reduce their exposure, DM Keith in York told me the same. If they replace the wheels before getting approval from Skoda UK they will be left to foot the bill if the claim is declined.

This isn't normally an issue though as all they have to do is explain this to you and wait for approval before ordering the wheels.Why they expect you to pay for them up front and for you to have to argue your case with Skoda UK is beyond me, it sounds to me as though they can't be bothered with the hassle and would prefer you to do the donkey work!

I'd be fuming. Ring Skoda UK on 08457 745745 and complain about the dealer.

All sounds good.

Except if it is as the OP says, it is not Lazyness or lack of giving a ****e, its 'Deception & untruthes' from someone at DM Keith.

2 months, photgraphs having been taken and no further forward is not good and just very poor customer service from DM Keith.

Lack of any 'Accept or Decline' does lead to the impression of them having done none of the above 'yet' just not accepting someones within their staffs decete.

george

• 4 weeks later...

That's a month and I haven't heard back from the dealer so going to chase them up this afternoon.

I notice I'm losing pressure on the front n/s tyre, which will no doubt be down to corrosion on the alloy.

Going to have to get something sorted soon - either new set of alloys funded by myself (which I wouldn't be happy about) or get the existing set refurbed - as they're diamond cut think refurbishment may create its own issues.

Assume there aren't the same problems with the standard silver Gigaros? Thinking of swapping to these - would also imagine they're easier to repair in the event of damage e.g. hitting a pothole.

I have one Original 23 month old 'Gizaro' Dark Chrome showing Corrosion Crazing around the Skoda Centre.

I mentioned it at the Dealership & without seeing it they said they would get one in and if i came in they would change the tyre onto the new one.

(Warranty)

Going to hand mine in and get the new rim without the tyre fitted as i am away to change those tyres over for Wet weathers when needed,

so will cut back the rims & Spray the 4 all over in Dark Metallic grey

before fitting the new tyres, they will be getting chipped anyway, and i would like to just touch up when required..

Maybe 'Park's Skoda of Hamilton' need to stop messing you about.

Email off to 'Skoda UK' Customers services might be the best plan.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Unsurprisingly Skoda have knocked back my warranty claim. Two of the wheels have rim damage, so expected that. However, on the other two they're putting it down to the wrong cleaning material.

Not as hacked off as I should be but will be putting in a complaint. Will get a quote for a refurb tomorrow.

This is the last Skoda (or VAG) I'll buy.

And this is the reason I'd never buy a car with diamond cut alloys no matter how often you clean them stay away from Kurbs they seem to go funny.

• Like 1

Its not a 'Diamond cut' problem, my wheels are 'Gigaro Dark Chrome' alloys.

They are coated with a protective finish coating and the corrosion is under the coating when moisture & air gets under the coating

(or gets under the coating through damage).

Alloy needs a protective coating and the Black Alloys or White Alloys (even the 'Gigaro' Alloys) will get Corrosion once the alloy is exposed to air,

with any damage to the Top Finish.

You just will not see it as clearly untill the actual Protective coating is off.

http://www.antipit.co.uk/what_causes_pitting_corrosion_to_alloy_wheels.html

george

Edited by sk4gw

Possibly,

standard, no cost is 'Gigaro' (plain Alloy but has a coating',

Option, 'Gigaro' Dark Chrome,

(The face is machined & the Inserts are Dark Grey metallic and the 'plasticized' lacquer covers the paint and the shiney metal, nothing is bare,

untill the lacquer is broken or becomes porous with certain cleaning products.)

Then 'Black' or 'White' Gigaro.

george

Edited by sk4gw