Automatic Roomster

Hi I admit to not being a Skoda owner , however could soon have one in the family,and thought this would be the best place to ask advice pre-purchase

My father is looking for an automatic with highish seating position and good access for an ageing dog, the initial view was for a diesel however I soon realised this limited us to either Fiat Qubo or Vauxhall Combo both of which he felt a little too big looking so we decided a Roomster would fit the bill,the car spends a fair amount of time in France and petrol is more expensive than diesel,so would someone kindly be able to advise as to which engine autobox combination would be most suitable for power/economy and roughly what sort of consumption figures to expect thanks, Paul

I have a 1.2 105ps tsi dsg (that's a mouthful!). I average about 46 mpg in GB, but last year I got 50 mpg over 1,000 miles whilst touring France. The difference being I could cruise on the motorways and dual carriageways at the max permitted speed. In GB this is impossible due to the shocking lane discipline, so speed is up and down like a hookers drawers. I am 6'5" and disabled, my left side works intermittently.

I love my Roomster, try a 105 dsg, if someone told me I would buy a 1.2 petrol 6 months before I ordered it, I would have had them certified insane (my other car is a V8). The fuel cost in France had very little difference last year.

Edited by P6bJOHN

I test drove a Qubo (manual) before I test drove a Roomster (manual). The words "chalk" and "cheese" come to mind.

I believe the Qubo auto is actually an automated manual gearbox, whereas the Roomster auto is a fully automatic Direct Shift Gearbox.

I prefer diesel engines and I love my 1.9 (105BHP) Diesel Roomster. But the 1.2TSI (105BHP) petrol engine is so good it will be my next engine of choice. The DSG gearbox is highly regarded on this Forum - and will be my next gearbox of choice.

As P6bjOHN has suggested, get your dad to test drive a 1.2TSI DSG. He'll love it!

In my experience of driving autos in the last 25 years, I'd go for a proper auto rather than an automated manual ie Corsa easytronic, Peugeot 1007, Mercedes ACS as they're not good. I've driven most and the phrase including barge pole spring to mind. The DSG is another discussion however....as others have said - try before you buy.

Another happy 1.2 105 DSG owner here, over 550 miles from 1 tank of fuel is my best so far and as others have said for a fairly large petrol car that's pretty good going.

Just be clear when you talk about automatics that you are talking about either the traditional auto system or a robotised clutch system. DSG is the VAG robotised clutch and it works very well.

DSG is the VAG robotised clutch and it works very well.

But there is a very big difference compared to most robotised geare changers: DSG has dual clutches which means that the gear changes are fast and hardly noticeable whereas the single-clutch robotized gearboxes need to declutch, change gear and release the clutch again. DSG is much closer to a traditional automatic than the robotized gearboxes.

Hi,

I've spotted a low mileage 2007 Roomster 1.6 DSG and am thinking about it. But I'm a bit concerned about what mpg I might get in contrast to my 1.9td Octavia which regularly turns in 52mpg. I realise the petrol automatic won't match this but what might I get?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

A 2007 Roomster will not be DSG, but a traditional automatic gearbox. The DSG was introduced in the Roomster in the 2010 facelift. To my understanding the combination of a fairly weak engine and a conventional gearbox is not the best combination when it comes to fuel efficency, so if fuel economy is a big concern you might want to look for another car.

To support The Raz's post, I have posted MPG figures from the Roomster 2009 brochure.

MPG: Urban/ExtraUrban/Combined

Roomster 1.6 16v Manual 30.7/49.6/40.4

Roomster 1.6 16v Tiptronic (conventional auto) 27.2/45.6/36.7

Roomster 1.9TDI 42.2/61.4/53.3

I regularly get 51 - 53MPG from my 1.9TDI

I hope this is helpful

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes very useful Robjon. Thank you and sorry to be slow to acknowledge. Even so, I'd be interested, if there are any 1.6 Tiptronic owners out there to know what mpg you actually get. I've seen a few of these cars at quite good prices and with low mileages but am not quite sure whether to save up a bit more and get the 1.2 DSG. The fuel economy is an issue in the choice.

Michael

P.S. Doing the maths to convert the average of 8.73 litres per 100 km comes out at 32.3 mpg (UK gallons) for the 1.6 Tiptronic. If that's right I think the 1.2 DSG looks a far better bet! Leaving the 52 mpg I get from my manual Octavia would be too much pain. But perhaps my sums are wrong - never was too hot with maths.

If you can save up a bit more, go for the 1.2 tsi dsg. It is another world, compared to the old atmospheric 1.6. 175 Nm of torque are available starting from 1500-1700 rpm and, if it is not a diesel, it comes close. What does it mean? Less noise and a more relaxed drivestyle. Not to mention (again) good consumption values. I get regularly around 49 mpg with my manual gearbox TSI. In some conditions a DSG can do surely better.

Doing the maths to convert the average of 8.73 litres per 100 km comes out at 32.3 mpg (UK gallons) for the 1.6 Tiptronic. But perhaps my sums are wrong.

Your sums are correct!

You will also need to factor in the higher cost of the 1.2TSI (post-facelift) - against the lower cost of the 1.6 tiptronic (pre-facelift).

If I remember correctly, Skoda facelifted the Roomster 18 months ago.

Happy to stand corrected :thumbup: