Was there an "official" recall for coils?

It seems that one of my coil packs needs replacing, although the coils were replaced before I bought the car I believe that they were replaced like for like from another car the dealer had on the forecourt rather than with modified ones.

When I bought the car I was told that any problems with coils would always be sorted free of charge by skoda but now I'm being told that this is not the case as it was never recognised "officially" as a problem and no recall notice was issued to dealers. Is this correct?

IIRC there wasn't an official recall however, the dealer should change you're coul packs if they a H types when you go in for a service.

Better mention it though as some don't remember to do it but miraculously do when you mention you called Skoda CS to check. :rolleyes:

Yes and no :rolleyes:

They were always replaced under warranty, on an individual basis.

IIRC there was a bulletin saying that if a car needed 2 then they should all be replaced.

Ah yes, here ya go:

Important Information

For the attention of the Service Manager/Parts Manager/Dealer Principal

Replacement ignition coils of cars with 1.8/110 and 132 kW

engines

Vehicle type:

My mate just had this issue with the Octy RS I sold him. I brought the above bulletin to the attention of the dealers, and they are now processing the claim on the coil packs without charge (even though the car is now out of warranty).

I asked before my 40k service about having the coil pacsk replaced and the dealers said they hadn't hear dof it.....a week later a coil pack went...rang Skoda CS to confirm that there was a bulletin to have coil packs changed.

Rang dealer and asked again....."Oh yes Sir....sorry they should have been changed for you."

:rolleyes:

I blew one coil pack last August. Car was 4 months out of warrenty.

Dealer replaced all 4 for free as this would have happened at the next service anyway due to the service notice.

• 1 month later...

Definitely try another dealer!

You can very easilly check the ones in cylinders 1&2 to see if they are the correct part number (will take all of 5 minutes). If they aren't the ones they should be, complain to the dealer and to Skoda customer services (they may well have charged Skoda for them but not done them. Take photos in case they try to pull a fast one. Oh and then go to another dealer. :D

As for cost, they're less than

I would be interested to know the date of the bulletin issued to Skoda Dealers. I bought my vRS last July (second hand 20 months old) and then had problems in October so the dealer changed the coil packs. But from reading that bulletin the dealer should have checked his used car stock and changed the coil packs before I collected the car. If somebody could please date the bulletin for me I would be extremely grateful. It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer ignored the bulletin, as when it picked the car up it no washer fluid and one of the tyres was under inflated 10PSI.

A date would be most welcome.

So the bulletin came out in approx September 2003, and makes reference to dealers checking used stock and customers vehicles in routine maintenance. I know the car had a service in Feb 2004 then I bought as a used car in JUly 2004 from a main Skoda dealer in JUly 2004. It stikes me that at some point before I collected the car they should have been done, this would have saved me the problems of having had rough running car in November 2004. Sounds to me like my local dealer has slipped up to me, what do you think

These coil packs are covered for 5 years.

If you have got one of the old style packs then they should be supplied FOC to all cars up to 5 years old.

They should be checked and replaced by a dealer everytime it goes to a dealer.

They do not have to go down as they know it will.

If you have 4 old style ones then all 4 can be replaced.

I used to do warranty and can remember the hassle thatcame with it in its height!

Thousands on car hire!

• 7 months later...
These coil packs are covered for 5 years.

If you have got one of the old style packs then they should be supplied FOC to all cars up to 5 years old.

They should be checked and replaced by a dealer everytime it goes to a dealer.

They do not have to go down as they know it will.

If you have 4 old style ones then all 4 can be replaced.

I used to do warranty and can remember the hassle thatcame with it in its height!

Thousands on car hire!

Where did the information about them being covered for 5 years irrespective of warranty come from? I have the ones that end in 'H' and have had my car serviced regularly at a dealership. I have discovered this misfire and my local skoda state, if there faulty, I pay.

Where did the information about them being covered for 5 years irrespective of warranty come from? I have the ones that end in 'H' and have had my car serviced regularly at a dealership. I have discovered this misfire and my local skoda state, if there faulty, I pay.
I have replied to your query in another thread. The Bulletin relating to ignition coil replacement has now been withdrawn.