Real-world mpg of Fabia VRS DSG?

Hey - that's really helpful of you.

Basically - i'm contemplating downsizing my Focus RS and buying a nearly-new Fabia VRS, then pocketing the remainder for a possible house move.

My wife would drive the Fabia day-to-day, and she doesn't drive fast. It would be quite good to know she might get near to 40 mpg over the week. Her journey is about 10 miles each-way.

It's a shame that none seem to have cruise control either?

Edited by Thehulkster

She will not get 40 mpg each way for 10 miles all year round.

Now at around 16 degrees celcius it takes 5 miles for the oil to get to 50 degrees celcius and by then she will get about 40-42 mpg.

10 miles and the oil will be getting to 86- 88 celcius and she might be showing 50 mpg.

Then she stops.

Next month as it gets colder, it takes longer to get the car up to Temp & good economy.

so expect maybe 37 mpg from the tank full on short trips, sometimes better.

george

PS, Almost all ex-dealership Demonstrators will have Cruise Control.

I dont use the Cruise Control normally, wastes fuel on my normal routes.

that was messing about and putting it into S7,

really it is still in D7.

about 30 if i give it a blast and stop go traffic. on the motorway i can get 55mpg easily at 70.

55mpg at 70mph, Mine must be broke! I once got 44mpg on a 100 mile trip sat at 70mph all the way.

Round town I get 30mpg and on a run average 40mpg

I want an RS but they are holding there money very well!

• Like 1

I had a focus ST before my vRS and can now certainly notice the improved fuel economy! I used to average around 27mpg in the ST but now get about 38mpg over a thankful. Pottering around town it will do about 30mpg. On a long A-road run 50-55mpg is possible. Motorway economy is abit disappointing tbh - cruising at 70 will get approx 42mpg.... Any faster and economy really drops off. Hope that helps. P.s SWMBO gets about 3-4mpg better than me in any given situation but that's driving like miss daisy! :-)

My fully shows I average 33mpg overall but this is because driving in and out of Swansea at rush our most days doesn't help. Do 33mpg in and 26-30mpg out. This is because its all uphill and if you don't boot it to pass morons in wrong lanes or dawdling you go backwards. Drove to Cardiff last week and easily averaged 45mpg at 70 or less by being gentle with throttle. Normal driving round town and some faster roads I do see 36-45mpg

I had a focus ST before my vRS and can now certainly notice the improved fuel economy! I used to average around 27mpg in the ST but now get about 38mpg over a thankful. Pottering around town it will do about 30mpg. On a long A-road run 50-55mpg is possible. Motorway economy is abit disappointing tbh - cruising at 70 will get approx 42mpg.... Any faster and economy really drops off. Hope that helps. P.s SWMBO gets about 3-4mpg better than me in any given situation but that's driving like miss daisy! :-)

wow im impressed, my ST was rarely above 20mpg even driven gently. it was mapped though.

round town ive been getting about 34mpg on a long run the best ive had so far as been 45mpg and that was when i went to bolton abbey at the weekend and thats only using regular unleaded :sweat:

Lots of people like to drive the DSG and use the paddles or manual on the stick,

they might enjoy and think they can beat what the car can do in Drive for using less fuel.

I think you can beat what you get with it left in 'D', and still nip along.

Maybe try,

Driving in 'D' but going to Manual to drop gears (decelerate or slow) and go back across to 'D' to let the car do the up changes.

So less braking and just slowing and decelerating like in a manual. But let the DSG change up differently from you might do.

Also the RE-Maps & performance enhancements.

Ask the Mapper about the Improved Acceleration if you need it,

maybe ask about that and getting no loss of Economy up to 80mph or so..

Then there is 'Lowering' the car.

The 'Greenlines' are Lowered,

But also Streamlined underneath.They are also Lighter.

(not even that great a fuel saving measure on back roads, but it is on Motorways, smooth roads,

& the Lightness saves on Hilly roads. Eco tyres are cr4p tho IMHO.)

I experimented a little with my Coilovers at standard height, & then dropped 30mm,

on the same tyres, same fuel etc.

The lowered car was using more fuel than at the Standard height.

Many will say thats rubbish and lowered cars will always be better.

Maybe they are,

but then maybe when lowered you drive it a bit harder in the bends.

Actually i tried to drive the same route at the same speeds, & the lowered vRS used more fuel.

Tyres and tyre type make lots of difference and correct tyre pressures,

& now for winter the correct pressure for the cold.

The oil you use can make a little difference as well asto your normal running temperature at the Motorway speeds, it all effects the MPG.

Mobile 1 is worth it if nipping along quite often,

your Oil Temp miht be a few degrees lower. Same with Castol Edge, but not quite to the same effect.

http://www.michelin....ld-weather-tips

george

I get mid 30's just pottering round town (so never gets chance to warm up - talking journeys of less than a mile) but after that its 38-45mpg territory. Mainly motorway driving. 42mpg all the way to Germany (600 miles and only time it cooled down was on the ferry) at 80mph.

My average is 37.7. Best I gave seen is 42 between Telford and Warwick with cruise set to 75moh where I can.

Day to day work comute (14 miles) is normally 37 ish but that's quite hilly on B roads. I've no doubt 45 is possible but I've yet to see it :)

Seems to be better than the mini cooper it replaced which is good enough for me.

I guess a fair question would Perhapse be more about the range on a tank of fuel? For me it's 400 miles full to almost empty.

If 45 litres goes in to be full, and after 400 miles it shows range 40 mile range left,

then

near enough 9 gallons for 400 miles then its getting an average 44-45 mpg or so.

Good enough for most folk.

360 miles for 41 litres = near 40 mpg average. still OK IMO.

Tyres size needs to be right for it to be dead accurate, but the Miles Covered is about right on most 205/40/17's

& not lots different on 215/40/17's

Never bought them to be economic anyway, just good they can be if needed.

& still get tailgater off your jacksy.

george

Well, my wife does about 130 miles a week, so if she can realistically touch the 40mpg mark I would be quite pleased.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be interested in what mpg it was achieving while I was driving it about having "fun" - but if it can be one of those "economical when needed" motors then I'll look further into having a drive of one.

My RS is going up for sale in about 3 weeks.......so I will have a think about what we will do next.

Well, after driving my brothers for a week I managed to get 300 miles from a tank and thats in Sport mode all the time, I wasn't shocked on the MPG to be honest, so much so I have bought one myself so now I have 2 VRS one for the miles and one to have fun in (Oh and for the wife to use for work lol

Hulkster, you wont have a problem after owning a RS, I should know after 4 years of having the ST it was a welcome relieve