Fettercairn to Bancory over the Cairn 'o Mount

slider

What a corker of a drive. Starting at Fettercairn you rise quickly through a series of switchbacks over the eastern edge of the Cairncorms to Cairn 'o Mount at almost 1500 ft before plunging back down to Bancory.

Arnold's hire car with only 1500 miles on the clock is now well loosened off :rofl:

Was haeding up to Huntly with work so didn't get the chance to do more. Did Cairn 'o Mount in both direction 'tho. Just before dusk on the way south and the road was dead quiet - magic stuff.

Another time for a change If you do not need to go back Huntly to Aberdeen or vice versa,

see if you can do, Huntly, A97 to Mossat, Glenkindeltown the A97 to the A93 & take the route to Braemar,

over Glenshee to Blairgowrie then to Perth.

Or 40-60 minutes more it takes Huntly, Dufftown, Glenlivet, Lecht, Corgarff & A939 to the A93 & to Braemar.

Try and check out the short distance of the B976 from the A93 Just north of Balmoral Castle to the A939 to the A944,

its special in either direction.

Have fun.

george

Thanks George, I have done the Glenshee/Braemar route in the past

I used the route you describe a good drive. I generally try to do the cross country short cuts if I can and often there is not much difference in time if you manage to avoid getting stuck behind.

• 2 years later...

I remember going over the "slug" road in winter with snow in an old postie van, seemed like fun at the time! A couple of days later we went shopping in Banchory and people were moving about on skis!!  I seem to remember that there was a water ford on the Fettercairn road.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...