Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Just of the phone with SUK and VWUK and was told by 2 different people that there has been a slight design change on any engines being built from October onwards that fixes the 1.4 dual charged engines oil problem and that any engines being changed in current cars with this problem will get the new engine. Spoke also with a friend that works in a local skoda dealership and he confirmed that they had all been shown the new fix. So lets hope this fix works.

• Like 1

mstafford1986,

are you having a problem with your 2012 vRS, or are you about to get a new car ?

Could you go back on the phone to SUK & get them to say what the changes are,

& rather importantly, what the fault is that they are going to fix by the revised engine?

Ask them to put in writing what the changes are maybe.

Is the change to the engine or the auxiliary components, like a breather pipe?

& ask please

, 'Are they replacing engines or is it Short Engines being sent to Dealerships to be installed?

george

I am watching all these various oil issue threads with interest as mine is on order at the moment. Still seems to be a distinct lack of hard facts though but a good level of information sharing between dealers/SUK/forums etc.... Let's just hope that all this info has some sound origins and more of a formal statement or collection of facts will be made soon.

All fair questions from George above, would be interesting to know the answers, especially as mine is apparently being built next week in wk41 but no doubt the engine would have been built prior to October!!

Have gone for the 5yr warranty option anyway so plan to enjoy the car to the full despite of any niggles......

Andy

Does anybody know the time engines are built before being placed in the cars as well? Some interesting information and good questions above. Just found out mine is being built week 46.. just can't wait!

we went to the skoda factory in Czech a few weeks ago on the prague trip.... they do make some engines and gearboxes there , but the 1.4 twincharger is made in Germany and imported to czech to put in the vRS, so we didn't get much details about that engine (although we did see a 1.2 tsi being made) ..

dont worry woodster, mine is a 60 plate, and of the engine designation that alledgedly has weak rings... mine doesn't use a drop of oil ;)

Not too worried really, but my Dad and Bro both have Vrs' too. My dads used a little (approx 300ml) in first 10k, my bro's is currently under oil consumption review by dealer, but they both bought theirs about a year or so ago.

Happy that an engine with twin chargers consumes 'some' oil, this is going to happen, but some of the rare instances of high consumption do suggest that there has been a fundamental issues with design or manufacturing parameters - until we get the info direct from the horses mouth none of us are really going to know, just way too many engine/manufacturing operating parameters to juggle.

My dads/bros are white though and mine is red/black so that should guarantee me better performance and less issues.... :rock:

I know its been repeated on many threads, but my advice is to drive it "normally" from day one, dont be afraid of full throttle and full revs if needed , dont "baby" it ;)

I'm a going to be a new vRs owner in the next few weeks and I've seen this advice...the problem is that traffic conditions don't always allow you to drive how you would wish.

Is there any scientific reason why this advice is sound? The piston/rings/cylinder bores of modern engines seem to bed-in OK with no special treatment,does the Vrs engine use special materials so it's different in this respect?

I think an update from the OP is needed on this thread as hopefully some of the questions can be answered by what his mate at a dealership has been shown as the fix, is this just the breather/software update or something else....???

Andy.

XK the theory is they bed in better if put through proper heat cycles, and all the varying conditions the engine can have, used across the whole rev range, the whole power range the whole gear set ect ect ... and if being run real gentle, can "glaze" much as clutches sometimes can, or brakes for that matter, if not used enough, and hence the pistons dont seal with the bores properly and burn oil...

someone I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong... others will have a different opinion. probably the worst thing is to drive the first 500 miles up a motorway at exactly 70 mph without variation!

someone is compiling data, but by scanning the responses so far , most of the cars that have little or no oil usage seem to have been driven normally from day one...

As dave just said above , any new vehicle needs to be "driven " so this is to go through the gears, and not to sit at a set speed for miles and miles, this is not a good thing to do also don't try and baby it, don't drive it as if your going to break it every engine needs this kind of driving as this helps to bed in the engine and give you a great little engine

Has anybody that had reasonably high oil consumption in the first 5000 miles had any noticeable improvement after it's had a few miles on the clock.

The reason I ask is I have used almost 4 litres in just under 5000 and was told by the dealers to come back after it's done 5000 miles as it will be more run in.