Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Vicky, I don't think you will find it that easy just to dump it back to them if you haven't already contacted trading standards. I contacted Trading standards just after the breather fix failed. The advice i got from trading standards was to write to the dealer quoting the sale of goods act 1979 giving then one last attempt to fix the problem or i would then be contacting the dealer for a refund or like for like replacement. Mine has been in to the dealer once for oil consumption prior to me contacting trading standards.

Type up a letter and send it recorded delivery giving 7- 14 days for a response. My dealer responded quickly and a new engine is being fitted. I realize you have already had a new engine so if i were you i would log your concerns with trading standards and quote their reference in any correspondence etc. I also made skoda customer services aware of my intentions although my contract is with the dealer.

You may find you have a little bit more clout if you paid for the vehicle outright and not by some HP scheme. This was one of the first things Trading standards asked me how i paid for the vehicle and fortunately i paid cash. Good luck anyway.

If the new engine is flawed then back to the Octavia i go.

Arnold,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have called Trading Standards and they said exactly what you said, so i will be composing a letter ready to send after the oil breather has been looked at. Thankfully there is no HP on the car. My problem is I don't want to swap my car for another model. I bought the Fabia vrs because I wanted one and there isn't another car I want (I'd have an Octavia vrs but I can't afford the additional money towards it unless I have an older one circa 59 plate). My dad has just picked up a brand new Monte Carlo which is nice but not as punchy and its manual.

Arnold,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have called Trading Standards and they said exactly what you said, so i will be composing a letter ready to send after the oil breather has been looked at. Thankfully there is no HP on the car. My problem is I don't want to swap my car for another model. I bought the Fabia vrs because I wanted one and there isn't another car I want (I'd have an Octavia vrs but I can't afford the additional money towards it unless I have an older one circa 59 plate). My dad has just picked up a brand new Monte Carlo which is nice but not as punchy and its manual.

Glad that helped. Im much the of the same opinion as you, my wife really likes the car and doesn't want to go to another vehicle. I am hopeful with the new engine this will be an end to my consumption problems. I was supposed to collect the car yesterday but have been told its gonna be the end of the week. I have a lengthy trip to do which may help with the run in process. I had a monte carlo as a loan car during the oil weighing process and completely understand your comments. Similarity of the two stops after the name Fabia. I wish you well.

I agree with the comments above. There isn't currently another car for the same money ('VAT free') that I would want over the vRS.

When I informed Skoda UK on Monday that the oil breather fix hadn't worked I was surprised to get a response implying that the oil breather was working for everyone else. I have just had a quick trawl through the first two pages of this forum. I have counted at least 31 different vRS Mk2 owners reporting high oil usage. Nobody that I can find has said that the oil breather fix has worked for them. Data from these reports as follows : -

10 replacement engines, with another 2 pending.

9 reports of the oil breather fix not having worked.

3 oil breather fixes with results pending

2 cases of piston ring replacement - both failed

2 cars exchanged

Others yet to report any countermeasure.

There are more but I gave up counting.

When my breather fix failed they said the exact same thing to me. They (suk) even commented how they had just come off the phone with another customer who's issues had been cured by the breather.A tone of surprise in the voice made me feel mine was the only vehicle it hadn't worked on. It beats me how such a simple modification could cure a vehicle using over a litre of oil per 1000 miles anyway. Oh well, its bought them a few more weeks and a few more weeks closer to the end of warranty.

I agree with the comments above. There isn't currently another car for the same money ('VAT free') that I would want over the vRS.

When I informed Skoda UK on Monday that the oil breather fix hadn't worked I was surprised to get a response implying that the oil breather was working for everyone else. I have just had a quick trawl through the first two pages of this forum. I have counted at least 31 different vRS Mk2 owners reporting high oil usage. Nobody that I can find has said that the oil breather fix has worked for them. Data from these reports as follows : -

10 replacement engines, with another 2 pending.

9 reports of the oil breather fix not having worked.

3 oil breather fixes with results pending

2 cases of piston ring replacement - both failed

2 cars exchanged

Others yet to report any countermeasure.

There are more but I gave up counting.

This makes interesting reading. When I first spoke to Skoda they told me not to take any notice of what I read on the internet. So everyone on here is telling porkies about their car are they?! I think not!

• Like 1

Vicky its what the stealers are bound to say, even suk say the same thing "no it's all nonsense on the Internet the cars are fine " bo770cks there is a fundamental flaw in the design of this engine, the only issue is why do some fail and some don't ?, some fail sooner but there is a definite link here and the breather pipe fix is a sticky plaster fix nothing less

Well, Got mine back today with new engine so we will have to see how that one goes. I went 3 miles up the Road and hit a pheasant straight through the front grill. I now need the chrome trim with skoda badge. Or i may treat myself to the black instead. Every cloud....

• Like 1

The more I read and hear about it the more I think run in has absolutely nothing to do with it

Honest johns website suggests its due to faulty injectors and from personal experience my mums 12,000 mile my10 vrs has used less oil from new than my 2500mile my12 one and I've spanked mine from new and hers rarely sees turbo boost

Edited by Richf

Faulty injectors can do only one thing, cause bore wash and resulting damage. Over-fuelling or bad spray pattern (squirting onto liners and piston top) or combination of both will cause oil consumption (as the bores will not be sealed) but after a short while will lead to complete cylinder failure and would not explain consistent, long term oil usage. I still think it is cast grey iron main block manufacturing tolerances random failure. This leads to liners deformation under load and lack of seal which nothing will cure, no breather pipes nor rings no manifolds. It could be on any cylinder or combination thereof.

Rings flutter is trivial to cure, just use different ring (breather pipe and manifold "fixes" would explain exploration of pressure imbalance issue leading to rings flutter). That's the bottom end.

Coming from the top the only oil pathway into the combustion chamber is through valve system where intake valve lets the oil in leading to oil consumption, "eaten away" spark plugs and burnt out exhaust valves - all due to oil deposits from combustion process.

That is what I can think about following hours of reading all sorts of forums, tech info and my experience with four stroke engines.

But I bet the truth is somewhere else and is far less trivial :@

• Like 1

The more I read and hear about it the more I think run in has absolutely nothing to do with it

Honest johns website suggests its due to faulty injectors and from personal experience my mums 12,000 mile my10 vrs has used less oil from new than my 2500mile my12 one and I've spanked mine from new and hers rarely sees turbo boost

There was a batch of dodgy injectors identified on early 2010 Twincharger engine builds (my Scirocco had them changed when they were trying to find the cause of rapidly dying plugs). The VW philosophy was to change them if there was a problem with the engine and the injectors matched the batch code affected - which is probably where that one comes from...

Well mine is now in bits...

Burnt out valve in cylinder 2

Cylinder 3 full of excess oil

Service department believe a new engine will be required but have to wait for diagnostics on the block/head and final decision from Skoda UK...

Here we go

Well mine is now in bits...

Burnt out valve in cylinder 2

Cylinder 3 full of excess oil

Service department believe a new engine will be required but have to wait for diagnostics on the block/head and final decision from Skoda UK...

Here we go

Yep, that was mine, although it was number three with a burnt out valve.

A new engine is your prize. So hopefully that will be an end to your oil woes.

Of you do not know what the issue is Nd just groping blind then you won't. Of they do know perfectly well and just play a "wait till **** hit the cylinders" game then it should be cured. One would hope CTHE power plants would have it resolved for good...

I still think this is really only affecting a small minority; just seems like a big deal because a number of people are speaking about in the Briskoda Fabia II forum (and elsewhere of course).

If this was so widespread VAG would no doubt pull the engine from production and the vRS would probably also cease being made unless they had a suitable engine to replace it with.

I still think this is really only affecting a small minority; just seems like a big deal because a number of people are speaking about in the Briskoda Fabia II forum (and elsewhere of course).

If this was so widespread VAG would no doubt pull the engine from production and the vRS would probably also cease being made unless they had a suitable engine to replace it with.

There is undoubtedly an issue with some engines but VAG have poured out hundreds of thousands of twin-charger units.

Hmm, down to about 1/4 of the cross-hatched section. Another 250ml took it back to half. Total 3000km, total oil topping = 1/2L. Probably could have added another 250ml, but don't want to risk over-filling.

That sounds fine.
  • Like 1