Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Hi MilgeS.  Interesting to read your latest posts. Hope the new engine behaves itself.

I think that one week should probably be allowed for a dealer to complete an engine replacement, particularly if it is their first time with the vRS. Best that the job is entrusted to one Master Tech from start to finish. It is possible that Skoda will transfer the original engine number to the replacement engine. The process takes time since the replacement sticker with the engine’s identity won’t be issued until the original engine has gone back to the factory.

Running-in should push the engine reasonably hard IMO (no need to worry about the rest of the car since everything thing else is already ‘run in’). The aim is to create sufficient pressure in the combustion chambers to properly bed in the piston rings and bores. Therefore use manual gear changing and aim to accelerate regularly in higher gears, with high throttle in the 2.5k to 3.5k rev range, just short of labouring the engine. Using engine braking back from around 3.5k to 4k also helps.  Don’t be afraid to use high revs although I would avoid red lining too early in the running in process!  If you are not happy with this sort of procedure (and many aren’t!) just drive normally but don’t baby it. Do not idle the engine too much and avoid constant cruising on the motorway for the first few hundred miles. I took time off work and completed the bulk of my running in within a day.

Check for coolant leaks under the engine and keep an eye on coolant level.  It is just possible that a loose hose joint or trapped seal could result in a slow leak.

• Like 1

Mines been kept in for the second day running, head off and measurements being made, the car has received a number of technical bulletins and they are going to feed back tomorrow 

I hope they dont forget to look at the door rattle 

Oil checked this morning on the level and cold, same place as yesterday (few mm below top of hatched), if anything maybe a smidge higher. Strange thing is, I'd been on lessons for a few hours yesterday and covered nearly 100 miles, didn't have time to check oil between auto/manual car swaps but checked on the level around 2 hours later and the oil level appeared to be top of the smooth part above the hatched area.

I'm going to leave it a until next Monday evening/Tuesday morning now before checking again, it'll be a week of normal use and a few hundred miles covered by then, usually would've seen a drop in level by then.

Cheers all, have a good week and enjoy the bank holiday weekend in the UK :-)

• Like 2

Confirmed it'll be a new engine for me, although they don't have any in stock at the mo (wonder who blagged the last one eh?!).  All of the above is very useful - will make sure they get the service book written up and obtain all relevant paperwork.  Fingers crossed!

I guess you know but, just in case, the new engine I had fitted was built 25/07/2013, will be interesting to find the date of build for yours, should be newer than that if they're not telling fibs :-)

• Like 1

Mine is going in for oil weight test tomorrow, they are going to charge me £200 for this work .....not happy

I believe they should only charge you if your car has the test done and it DOESN'T use too much oil? Maybe someone else can confirm this. If this is correct I would cancel until you're happy

Call Skoda UK Custormer Services & get the approval for the Oil Consumption test, 

& do not get it done & pay the garage nothing until you have approval.

I thought the Head was being taken off & measurement being taken.

Was that done.?

They must have done one Consumption test already before you had the 'Breather Mod done'.

Was that a full New Oil and Filter, Weigh and Dynamic Testing?

Did they put back together this time from the head off and handed it back to you,

and are now doing a consumption test?

This is just a Dealership not having a clue,

or some new tactic from Skoda.

I expect it is the Dealership.

I would not have accepted having the head removed if that was a decision being made by Skoda to see why the Breather Mod did not work.

They need to complete their investigation with the Weighed Oil and Dynamic Testing of the Engine.

If that was the Dealership Workshop Manager making that call, then no idea why he is doing that..

george

• Like 1

have spoken to skoda after speaking to dealer and its new policy risk being put onto customer as skoda warranty wont pay dealer if oil test is passed 

My car already had a revised breather so moved onto next level, it will fail its done 2l of oil over 1000 miles 

Did they remove the head, fit a new gasket etc and put back together.?

If they did then that was because they knew it was an Oil User or some other fault.

If you know it is an Oil User, then you will be due compensation,

£200 refunded if they charge that and you pay.

Then you invoice them for your time, or reject the car, they are disputing that is faulty. if they do that.

An Engineers report from a Professional that you can get done.

OR MAYBE JUST RUN THE CAR A FEW MORE MONTHS AND BE CERTAIN THAT IT IS A OIL USER.

Be sure that they put the car back together properly.

Did you buy the car new & had it from new, or a used car?

How many miles on the clock.

george

The problem is the dealer has too prove to Škoda warranty that your vehicle actually is using the oil amount the customer is complaining about and the only way is to remove the oil and fill with an exact oil quantity that they weigh and then get the customer to drive vehicle for a set mileage then re weigh the oil that's left in the engine to work out the amount used it's not like a visiable fault eg headlight not working that can be proven just by looking at the vehicle and visually confirming I know it's a pain but if the customer is confident there vehicle is using more than the specified oil amount then there should be nothing to worry about

The car had a breather mod, so they knew it was an oil user.

No Breather mod has replaced the faulty engine internals yet as if by magic.

& Not the Owner-Driver to drive it.

The Dealership to do the 'Dynamic Test',  Car engine up to temperature, cooling fans operating, the specified minimum times,

then the full set procedure,

If they want £200 then an 'Oil Filter Change' and then getting the owner to drive, then dropping & weighing oil is not £200.

Labour & Materials.

A 2 year/20,000 mile inspection Service is £177 on a vRS Fabia. & thats with a Pollen Filter, 

An Oil and filter service is £85 - £110 & thats them earning on that.,

so are they would be taking some profit on what is less than a Service, then just draining and weighing & refilling..

george

1.7 hours labour + parts 

I had to agree to the car being taken out by someone (employee?) this evening as they couldnt undertaker the sheer number of miles to do the test, im guessing its getting its t1ts wragged out of it as i type 

Did they remove the head, fit a new gasket etc and put back together.?

If they did then that was because they knew it was an Oil User or some other fault.

If you know it is an Oil User, then you will be due compensation,

£200 refunded if they charge that and you pay.

Then you invoice them for your time, or reject the car, they are disputing that is faulty. if they do that.

An Engineers report from a Professional that you can get done.

OR MAYBE JUST RUN THE CAR A FEW MORE MONTHS AND BE CERTAIN THAT IT IS A OIL USER.

Be sure that they put the car back together properly.

Did you buy the car new & had it from new, or a used car?

How many miles on the clock.

george

I bought it second hand at 17.8k miles, its on 20k now having done 3 litres of castrol edge

If you have paid, you will get your money back if its used 3 litres in the past 2,200 miles an still is.

The engine is not going to stop using oil by some miracle.

Best ask them to show you the Official Skoda Document on how they have to test it.

I have a copy of the original instructions but can not link them right now.

Its in some of the other threads or in this one someplace.

He is not doing 100 miles with it is he?

george

260 miles.!

It is supposed to be 100 km so 62 miles.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/272118-guess-what-yep-oil-issues

Post #13 has what it was for the test,

drive exactly 100 km and multiply oil used by 10 to the use that 1000 km would give.

The point of the 'Dynamic Test' is so that there is no need to do the big miles.

It sets out how often to bring the engine up to temp & have the fans running,

the measurement of Oil used by weight, & is worked out by multiplying.

Are you paying about £45 for the fuel used?

They really are taking the Michael..

Anyway, none of that really matters, new engine will need to be fitted and all your expenses claimed back,

fuel, cost of test, & wasting your time .

all the best.

george

Skoda must have made some revisions since the last time I looked at the oil weight test. Think back then it was 262miles or some random figure like that to drive before re-weighing the oil.

Luckily I haven't had to do any of that stuff for a while as we rarely see MkII vRS'

Nothing wrong with it !!

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps

0.7l per 1000km is the failure figure 

However the rattle in second and third gear has amounted in the dealer requesting authorising a new gearbox 

Doors still rattle ...knacker !

So 186 miles covered and calculated to use 0.31 litres for 662 miles, 

you can not argue with that.

But when you get the car back and its now got 3.6 litres in, you can run it for 662 miles and see how much oil you use with the way you drive or use the car.

If still in Warranty and it uses more than the test and their figures that they say are acceptable,

you just get it back into them.

Did they show you the 'Manufacturers Specification for oil use',

& is it 0.5 litres per 1000km as shows for all engines

& in Owners Manuals or another figure?

george

Just got a voice message for skoda Uk and have been told they are just waiting on management coming back from holiday and then they will discuss how to move forward with my oil problem. I'm thinking it should go like this " so his engine is using a lot of oil! Replace it! Done!" It will prob go the total opposite :-( "so his engine is using a lot of oil! Test it, test again, then test again! No I'm not convinced it's using oil! Test it again! Ok it's been six months of testing so test again!" That's how I see it going :-( .

Ps I've already had two oil test done and was told nothing wrong! It's only when I drove into the dealers with the oil off the dip after 350 miles they went ok there might be an issue!

Marty

• Like 1