Fabia VRS Engine replacement required - 36K

rchhiba

There is the 53,790 mile vRS on Autotrader (a member had looked at it, & it was a bad one. I think a new gearbox was mentioned & rad weld.)

& a 38,500 miler also on Autotrader now

There was a 57,000 mile one advertised privately but i have a feeling that is the first one i mentioned in this post.!!!

I once looked at a Red one which was advertised with 50 odd thousand miles on the clock that had been smashed,

but other than the serious accident damage it looked brand new

and very dodgy.

george

I'll be extending the warranty and keeping mine (unless there's a change in personal circumstances) when it's three years old at the end of September next year. For the money I can't think of another car I'd swap it for (new Fiesta does look tempting though).

Off topic but drove a manual today for the first time in months - it felt like a real ball ache.

Off topic but drove a manual today for the first time in months - it felt like a real ball ache.

Drove my fourth maual in 6 weeks today courtesy of Skoda Asisst. The vRS is back with the dealer for the third time since my new engine was installed, chasing an emission control and EPC issue. Getting tired of this now as i only got it back again last night after the second attempt to rectify the problem.

On the plus side, had a first drive of a Kia Ceed, not a bad car after my initial drive. Not a vRS, but better than some of the other cars i have been driving recently :)

I managed to get my Scirocco (also 1.4, but the CAV? - pre CAVE. pre CTHE twincharger engine) to 74,000 miles with only a new piston, liner and head rebuild (but that was due to them fitting the wrong spark plugs at 38k) at about 44k. Topped it up with oil once, shortly before its first service. Didn't use a drop after that.

Hi Jerry,

Forgive me but I do not remember is you had a brand new CTHE motor it reconditioned one?

Allegedly it is still a CAV engine but has all the latest mods of the CTHE according to the dealer. I guess this is so that you do not have to change the V5 by keeping the same engine number. However, I can only go by what i have been told.

Got a copy of the invoice for the new parts yesterday (I'm not paying as it has all been done under warranty)

Part number Description List

03C100040AX BASE ENGI 2347.54

1K0121096AT HOSE 4.10

03C121050N PIPE 28.96

03C103474AD VENTHOSE 44.82

KE90299935 COOL 1L PREMIX (X2) 6.20

LABOUR 877.53

TOTAL 3308.88 PLUS VAT

Job description as described on the job card.

MAN CODE MOT = BAID 41438218 - eng.starter hesitating whilst driving at speed on m/way. Emissions and EPC warning light started flashing, carryout GFF, find air leak on manifold where air hose was disconnected, reconnect air pipe and erase faults. Misfire still present. Complete a compression check, results were cyl. 1 175 psi, cyl2 175 psi, cyl3 0 psi and cyl4 175 psi. No compression on cylinder 3, requires engine strip, remove engine from vehicle, remove head to inspect cause of zero compression. Found exhaust valve had hole burnt out. emailed tech dept with photos on BAID 4148218, they advised new engine. Strip engine of all ancillaries and swap onto new engine. Pipes from old oil cooler fused fused to oil cooler, unable to remove so had to replace. refit engine, carryout engine ECU software update and fit modified breather hoses as per tech request. road test all ok.

Current position

Car now back for a third attempt post the engine change to sort emission/EPC issues. A fracture has been found and repaired (on second visit) to the wiring loom which was possibly damaged during engine replacement. Will be contacting Skoda customer services tomorrow (anyone have an email address for them?). Basically i shall be stating that i have been very tolerant to date with the oil consumption issues/engine replacement (after all it only took the engine failure at 28000 miles for something to be done) but this is now going beyond a joke, and that the car must be returned fully functional this time or alternative avenues will need to be explored.

At the very least i want the warranty extending FOC by Skoda as i will not be able to afford an engine replacement if i were to have to replace one myself. Or rather, i would really have to justify to myself the value of the vehicle at the time of having to carryout major surgery. It would probably be cheaper to scrap the vehicle and start again, most likely with another manufacturer.

I am really missing the vRS in terms of performance :( , none of the temporary replacement cars have come close.

Wow, that is pretty horrible :( :(

What is new in your post Jerry is that note about oil pipes fused to the oil cooler, what is that all about?

Yours sound like vRSy's one, also lost compression in one cylinder due to rings failure.

Part number Description List

03C100040AX BASE ENGI 2347.5

Christ. If mine goes down that route, ill not be a happy chappy. I've been offered a 2.0TSI engine/6 spd DSG gearbox complete with full loom and ECU with REVO stage 2(290Hp/330lbft) for £2000, with the option of adding a K04 turbo to it for a further £400 (380hp/360lbft). If my engine is a write off i might just see what it will cost to bolt that bad boy in.

• Like 1

I think the most worrying part is that it can be perfectly fine then all of a sudden need a new engine!

My thoughts are the same. Will I be owning this car out if warranty? Not a chance! (gives me a good reason to convince SWMBO of the need to change car next year anyhow hehe)

Oh I meant to say, when it went back the first time after about 700 miles they had to add about 400 mls of oil. Within tolerance I know, but was hoping for a little better :)

I know it is concerning but VAG pump out 75,000 of these units a year - some are going to fail but it can only be a very small percentage (which is, of course, no comfort to those affected).

My original plan was to keep the car till the end of warranty but given my limited mileage (5,000 p.a.) I'm going to take the 'risk'.

If the worst happens I'd like to think Skoda would at least make a contribution (service schedule adhered to and I look after my cars). I'd probably take a different attitude if using it for commuting and racking up more miles.