Toyo T1R's - Prepare to be unimpressed!

craig8585

This post is entirely my own opinion and personal review of the Toyo T1R. I'm not a professional tyre reviewer but understand the basics.

I've driven on Toyo T1R's previously on a relatively high power RWD car and was hugely unimpressed with them overall, even though they seemed to have a fair reputation at the time

I believe that tyres are an area of a car where you really shouldn't skimp and save. Afterall, they do enable you to accelerate, brake and turn, all of which being fairly important. It baffles me when people fit cheap tyres because they 'do a lot of miles'. In which case, surely you would want one of the best tyres available if you're using them a lot?!

Anyway, the review..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, tyre retailers have began to rate theie tyres on fuel efficiency, noise, and most importantly, wet grip.

Unsurisingly, the Toyo T1R's are amongst the worst performers, and this includes the entire budget range. The ratings are as follows

Fuel Efficiency/Rolling Resistange - G

Wet Grip - E

Noise - 71dB

Fuel efficiency/Rolling resistance - With a score of G, The Toyo T1R receives the worst possible score. Not a lot else to be said really!

Wet Grip - On a scale of A to G, the Toyo T1R's rating of E is a fair way down there and leaves a lot to be desired. So far, I've not found a tyre with a lower rating, but I'm sure there will be some when full ratings have been revealed for all tyres.

Noise - 71dB - seems to be about average, if a tad high

blackcircles-tyre-labelling_zps53ff5a48.gifT1R_zps9be41a57.jpg

So, what would I do? I'd do what I've done. Get rid! For example, the Cheaper Falken or Uniroyal equivelant score B's for wet grip. Certainly a vast improvment for less money.

I hope you find this review useful and hope it doesn't upset too many T1R die-hards!

never used them myself but I seen mixed reviews/ opinions in the Fabia I section. I use Conti premium contacts, but recently put Uniroyal Rain Experts up fron, they grip and stick like **** to a blanket IMO. Just swapped all four for winters, Good-Year Ultragrip 8's. again a grippy tyre. Have to agree with what you say about cheap rubber though, the tyre is your only point of contact with the tarmac, why skimp on your safety?

• Like 1

I've had T1rs and found them good until I tried other tyres. My favourite tyres atm are continental contact 3s due the sublime steering feel. Thought I'd up the game again and try some contact 5s with a E efficiency rating and a A wet braking score. These will be fitted in new year.

• Like 1

Toyo R888 track tyres are rated 'B' or 'C' in the wet which can't be right.

http://www.toyo.co.u...ern/proxes-r888

Tyre ratings have been discussed in this thread: http://www.briskoda....laws-labelling/

Years ago people used to rave how good T1-Rs were. I had a pair and liked them. Being soft they were good in cold weather (far better than GSD3s) and when newish good in the wet. Great in dry too. However when worn they didn't like deep standing water.

I currently have Rainsports (now on 2nd pair) and still love them.

• Like 1

I can believe the R888's wet ranking as they are good in the wet! They however don't like puddles of standing water. When they test for wet performance I presume the road is wet and not submerged in 2 inches of water.

I had kumho v70's and they were also very good in the wet but due to the tread depth not good in deep water.

• Like 1

Toyo R888 track tyres are rated 'B' or 'C' in the wet which can't be right.

I bet it is right, Yokohama's semi-slick dry track tyre scored an A in the wet brake test, put either into a curved test in wet conditions and life could get interesting through. . .

Strangely the main dealer who recently sold my lad his 59 plate Fabia 1 HTP 70, replaced before collection the worn out OEM H rated Conti's on the front with V rated versions of this tyre :wonder:

Seem OK; a bit OTT for a 70PS base model Fabia mind :giggle:

Oh and we've temporally replaced the Toyo's (plus rear Conti's) for winter with Bridgestone Blizzak LM30's, which are also OK but not as good as the Avon Ice Touring ST's on our other Fabia (IMHO).

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Lost count how many tyres I tried on my old Fabia vRS. Whatever I had it still understeered too much. Conti's were on my Mk2 from new. Changed at 8.5k for Bridgestone Adrenalines. Cheaper than RE050A's but on paper look as good but slightly worse wear. Were great on track and are surprisingly good in the wet. Very impressed. Time will tell for wear but if it beats the Contis I'm happy

Years ago people used to rave how good T1-Rs were. I had a pair and liked them. Being soft they were good in cold weather (far better than GSD3s) and when newish good in the wet. Great in dry too. However when worn they didn't like deep standing water.

I currently have Rainsports (now on 2nd pair) and still love them.

I have exactly the same opinion of them.

I used them on my civic and was not impressed like their rep made out. I also used the Proxies PX4 which felt identicle.

I then went to Eagle F1's (AS3's) which were an improvement all round but werent as good as the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's.

The uniroyal Rainsport 2's must be one of the best vfm tyres out there. I paid about £65 a tyre on my civic but will be £110+ on my vrs, i'll still buy them though thats for sure.

If you ask any tyre place they will tell you the toyo's are budget tyres. They shouldnt have the rep they do

People who like the T1R's generally haven't tried any other brands. Give it a go, I'm confident you'll be surprised. I've experienced them on a variety of cars and my opinion remains the same on all to be honest. They are not bad in the dry, but not many are.

As for the Yokohama AD08's having an A rating.. Even though their design doesn't look like it can shift a lot of water, they still perform extremely well in damp and wet conditions. I guess this is down to their softness but as a day to day tyre I wouldn't recommend them as standing water could be an issue and wear will be excessive. I've experience these on a Honda Integra DC2 on both the road and track days and am a fan of them.

Toyo R888's are a similar story but more of an intermediate tyre as virtually any amount of standing water becomes an issue.

My personal favourites for hooning around are medium compound A048's. They seem to fade and wear less than R888's but still provide greater grip. Experience of this has been on my Almera GTi track car throughout 2011/12 at various circuits.

I'm necessarily not a Toyo hater, but am very interested to hear other people's opinions. The general theme I'm getting is people like them, until they try something else.

This is meant to be a helpful thread for those who may be looking to renew their tyres soon. And apologies for the poor spelling in the first post. Guess I should proof read before posting!

:)

I had 4 new T1-R's put on a few months back, apart from shredding the fronts quickly ive found them to be fairly poor in the dry but quite good in the wet, if not better?? Weird.

I bought them because they have rave reviews across the net and they were about 65 a corner. Im going to change the fronts in a week or so, any suggestions? Im willing to pay upto about a 100 each as long as they are better than these!

The Uniroyals are made by Continental and are very good tyres with excellent value for money, but the Michelin PS3's are possibly the best all round road tyre you can buy in this size in my opinion.

Worth the extra money if you can spare it.

The Uniroyals are made by Continental and are very good tyres with excellent value for money, but the Michelin PS3's are possibly the best all round road tyre you can buy in this size in my opinion.

Worth the extra money if you can spare it.

Agreed! Rain sports must have one of the best £ v's performance ratio out there. I liked them and would be happy to use them again but after the contact 3s sublime steering and superb grip ( even on a track day) I've been spoilt. Just hope my new on order contact 5s deliver the goods too.

• Like 1

i've got T1-r's.......better than the basic Michealins and some Pirelli P6000 that I've had in the past................

Not the best I admit....but good feedback/steering feel.........and at this time of year I've got Michealin Alpin A3s on anyway... :giggle:

• Like 1

So to confirm they are really bad because they stick to the road in the dry meaning poor rolling resistance? That will do me then!

Dry grip ftw!

On a side note, the tyre wall is far to soft for a RWD "sports" car and I am once I have need to replace them taking them off and trying something else as its abit boaty at speed when moving lanes. However keeping up with a near on 300bhp Audi TT QS in a 200bhp VX220 using T1-R's over the Yorkshire Dales in similar weather than today to me would indicate they are rather good in the wet also, with no back end action or crashing.

I will also be taking them off the Ibiza and trying RB5's in the future. But again several track days and drag strip days they seemed good ;) 60ft times in a FWD diesel with 220bhp in 2.08 seconds isnt bad? Show me a road tyre that can do better that arent semi's ;)

I will keep them on the Fabia and the MR2 and suits me fine. Of course the bike doesnt get them however!

i think the T1R is a good tyre for the money, but I think if you are in that price bracket the hankook ventus evo one is better and at only a few quid more per corner is worth it.

i am looking at putting toyo r1r's on my edition 30 as i dont think the R888 is road legal now? and as people have pointed out you dont want to hit standing water with them on.

i wish they would release the pilot super sport in 225/40/18...thye have them in the States

i think the T1R is a good tyre for the money, but I think if you are in that price bracket the hankook ventus evo one is better and at only a few quid more per corner is worth it.

i am looking at putting toyo r1r's on my edition 30 as i dont think the R888 is road legal now? and as people have pointed out you dont want to hit standing water with them on.

i wish they would release the pilot super sport in 225/40/18...thye have them in the States

If I were you I'd fit toyo R1Rs to an edition 30 if you want something in between a r88 and t1r. I'd have them for my car but they don't do a 205/40/17.