EGR Valve - It this a common fault

I had an issue a few weeks ago where Skoda Assist advised me that I had an issue with my EGR valve. The car was towed to my local dealer but becuase the car is out of warranty (80k) my 3rd party warranty company would only pay out when the report was produced showing the error.

After 10 days, the dealer could not replicate the error so I took the car back, and all was fine for about 3,000 miles, until today.

Just had skoda assist out again, and now the same problem.

the skoda assist guy told me that this is the second EGR valve today (last one was on a TT) and when I first had a problem I was told the same thing by the guy who came out then.

They are both convinced that this is one of the most common issues that they see and due to the fact that my car is a 2010 model it cant be fixed at the roadside.

any comments from you on this forum will be helpful (as I will be on the phone to Skoda uk tomorrow)

Hello mate,

Unfortunately the EGR valve is an issue on all engines where fitted - or at least most of them go wrong at some point. Used to have a 03 plate A4 and it had the same issue - bypassed it and the car ran a lot better. Also bought an Allard EGR delete kit but sold the car before I fitted it.

They cost a fortune to replace, and as I said it will just go wrong again at some other point. Not looked into it, but maybe you can also bypass it?

What engine have you got?

Can only comment on my experiences with my Ford Mondeo ST TDCI....I went through 2 EGRs on that!!! Tried cleaning the first one out ,got about 1200 miles out of it before I had to replace it......got some money back from Fraud when I took the old one in! On the Mondeo at least, it was a dawdle to change over.....all in about 20-30mins.....Think my last one cost about £170 after the part exhange refund! Interstingly ,when the AA guy came to help me ,he just put in a blanking plate, which I understood at the time would cause problems.....but, the car ran great and I was tempted just to leave it blanked off....replaced it in the end though!

Some of the other guys on the ST Driver's Forum replaced several more than me.....think I was lucky...only twice in 100,000 miles!

Mine on the Fabia vRS threw up a CEL at about 35k. Cleaned it (the tar deposits stick to everything, forever! Wear old clothes/overalls.) but to no avail. Got new one at some discount but was still close on £160 as the usual pattern sources GSF etc didn't have the right version for an ASZ PD130 that was 5 years ago. A new Skoda genuine replacement solved it straight away, did another 30k and had given no problem by time I traded the Fabia vRS.

The plague of modern diesel emission controls I'm afraid, at least the planet should still be here for whoever's left around in 50 years or so.

Edit: Drive faster for longer works but the fines will end up more than the cost of a new EGR.

Funnily enough I just changed my EGR valve yesterday on my Octavia II (PD105). I cleaned the valve first so it was spotless but still the plunger would not lift under vacumn. Too much melted crud over time. Anyway, priced up a valve for the same price as a delete kit and that's the fault cleared for now.

yeah definately not a roadside job. you dont have to drop the gearbox, just the driveshaft out and the dpf part of the exhaust. still a fiddly job, even worse if the car is a 4x4

I had to have mine replaced last year. It was a 05 plate with 90k miles tho. Cost me £80 for the Skoda dealer to diagnose he orange engine light on the dash then £300 for a local garage to replace (dealer wanted £500).

It's a big bill but until this he car has been fine for 3 years so not too upset.

PS cleaning was no good as it was faulty. Something about not opening/closing when it was asked to

Not even 15mins,just the time it took to get on your knees and plug the diagnostics in. It will give the fault instantly.

Danger money, I suppose :D:D:D

Tapatalk'd from my HTC SXE Beats

I had to have mine replaced last year. It was a 05 plate with 90k miles tho. Cost me £80 for the Skoda dealer to diagnose he orange engine light on the dash then £300 for a local garage to replace (dealer wanted £500).

I had an EGR replacement about 6 months ago (driving to work, sudden limp mode etc.). Car was 2 years/30600 miles, had no idea at the time what this would have cost out of warranty, so glad it was FOC.

Wow! You could have done an EGR delete and remap for similar money.

If I understand correctly, the recirculation of gases reduces NOx emissions. What are the implications of an EGR delete? Would you experience an increase in emission, albeit within tolerances? Presumably if the NOx emissions are too high, you'll fail an MOT.

Are there circumstances (like DFP delete plus EGR delete) under which you'll get slapped with an emissions charge, like re-evaluation of VED band?

If I understand correctly, the recirculation of gases reduces NOx emissions. What are the implications of an EGR delete? Would you experience an increase in emission, albeit within tolerances? Presumably if the NOx emissions are too high, you'll fail an MOT.

Are there circumstances (like DFP delete plus EGR delete) under which you'll get slapped with an emissions charge, like re-evaluation of VED band?

Diesels do not have an emissions test. They simply go through a smoke density test. So as long as it's not chucking out clouds of smoke it will pass.

I'm not sure how it works in regards to the VED. Probably should technically be re-checked with is why most people who do a DPF delete use the original DPF and bash the innards out so it looks like it's still there. Same with a CAT.

Phil

Diesels do not have an emissions test. They simply go through a smoke density test. So as long as it's not chucking out clouds of smoke it will pass.

Ah ok, didn't know that (my first car in the UK, yet to be MOT'd). This is why those with a DPF delete suggest to rag it on the way to the test centre.

I'm not sure how it works in regards to the VED. Probably should technically be re-checked with is why most people who do a DPF delete use the original DPF and bash the innards out so it looks like it's still there. Same with a CAT.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing pictures of a DPF being taken apart, cleared out and then welded back together. Makes sense now.

I have the 2010 CR - which means that the gearbox needs to be dropped just to get to it.

If it was the PD, the RAC would have done it at the roadside.

yeah definately not a roadside job. you dont have to drop the gearbox, just the driveshaft out and the dpf part of the exhaust. still a fiddly job, even worse if the car is a 4x4

WTF!

You're pulling our leg right?

What a downright stupid design.

Just be thankful (as further up) it's not a ford TDCI. They love to munch EGR valves.

A friend bought a Mondeo 2.2 TDCI only a year old and about 15,000 miles and had EGR troubles straight away. New EGR under warranty and already it's having problems again.

Phil

Just be thankful (as further up) it's not a ford TDCI. They love to munch EGR valves.

A friend bought a Mondeo 2.2 TDCI only a year old and about 15,000 miles and had EGR troubles straight away. New EGR under warranty and already it's having problems again.

Phil

I had the 1.6TDCI Fiesta, and my dad the same engine C-Max - both blocked it off with something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d38e92804

Worked great :)

No sorry!it is a stupid design it's quite a big unit it has a cooling unit as part of it so the whole thing is just known as an egr cooler. It is on the back of the engine and you cannot remove it with the dpf in the way. if it was a 4x4 you would have to take the propshaft out, drop the subframe- very involved.

Mines been in the dealers since Thursday last week. EGR failed on the M62, managed to creep to Leeds. Initially they thought it was the DPF, but further investigation found that the EGR was faulty.

Luckily it is under warranty.

Even luckier.. I've now got a Yeti courtesy car, which is great fun!

No sorry!it is a stupid design it's quite a big unit it has a cooling unit as part of it so the whole thing is just known as an egr cooler. It is on the back of the engine and you cannot remove it with the dpf in the way. if it was a 4x4 you would have to take the propshaft out, drop the subframe- very involved.

So the cooler is in a daft place fine, but is the actual EGR part of that now?

If so, then I'd be straight after a delete pipe and mapping it out.

That's just stupid.