New 1.4 Tsi engine fitted..BUT

ChrisRs

After my wife's car was diagnosed as having an oil consumption problem and the breather pipe fix, failed, the car went in last week for a new engine under warranty. (£3800 the dealer informed her)

3 days later and a courtesy car (Citigo...Horrible underpowered sewing machine of a car... my wife described it..LOL) it was ready

My wife asked if she should inform the DVLA of the new engine number or are you going to do that?

"No need madam. Its the same number"...However......She didnt ask how this can be.

So...I will ask....If its a new engine. How can it be the same engine number??

Think someone at the dealer could be having your wife on too. Unless the engine has a number how would they track it through the factory so people get the right engine in their car- it'll be interesting to see if what the dealer says is correct as by logical deduction the new engine will have a different number to the 1 it's replacing unless they have a load of engines with blank crank cases on them and etch the number in when the dealer orders a new one (direct from the factory). Even if they did that I've seen elsewhere that recon engines are used by Skoda on warrenty claims, if this is correct how would Skoda then avoid having 2 engines with the same number (i.e. the replacement one thhat had cloned the original plus the original after it's been back to the factory for a recon?) Can't see them grinding the old number off the crank case and restamping it as the police would think it had been nicked if they inspected it later?

just like you it doesn't make sense to me

See this is strange as Mercedes use engine numbers like chassis numbers each engine like a car has a prefix or type/model then a serial number. This allows mercedes to track new engines fitted replacement ones and ones that come back for remanufactuer.

This information is then changed on the mercedes system buy the service admin with in that dealer.

I was at a Skoda dealer 6months as a parts advisor we supply and fitted a few police engines and for warranty we were required to supply the serial number of that engine if warranty. Wether the new ones are stamped the same i cant remeber....

I've just had my engine replaced in the vRS. The brand new engine (not a short engine) arrived in a crate minus all the ancillaries, which were then transferred from the original engine. There appeared to be no number on the new engine. The dealer wasn't sure about the procedure for the number so contacted SUK. They have been told that on receipt of the old engine back to Skoda, a 'sticker' will be issued with the original engine number on it. This will be attached to the new engine next time it goes back to the dealers (for a service). Therefore no change to my V5C document. Meantime an entry has gone in to the back of my service record book to state that the engine was replaced.

im also going through this process so this is good info, along the lines of what i thought

but my question to the people out there, if your in the market for a second hand VRs and you notice the sticker in the warranty book stating engine replaced at xxx miles, would you buy the car or the identical one alongside that hasn't had another engine???

im really concerned about the value of my car come replacement time

Well that is surprising-new technology I guess. I assume the 'sticker' must be put on with special adhestive or be tamperproof to prevent it being taken off in 1 go to stop them being used on stolen engines etc.

im also going through this process so this is good info, along the lines of what i thought

but my question to the people out there, if your in the market for a second hand VRs and you notice the sticker in the warranty book stating engine replaced at xxx miles, would you buy the car or the identical one alongside that hasn't had another engine???

im really concerned about the value of my car come replacement time

The engine was replaced for a better one that doesnt consume shed loads of oil..I was thinking that it might be worth more not less

i agree with your thinking to a degree, but to the uneducated or to that dodgy salesman, i see it as a reason to lower the value :( imagine somebody who knows nothing much about cars, they'll think the previous owner just ragged it to death

do you know if you got the newer engine thats supposed to be better or just an old engine that could well suffer just the same?

Edited by the mad monk

Could it not be that the engine isn't completely replaced?

More along the lines of a top end replacement so its effectivly a "new" engine? I have no idea though I've tried to stay away from these threads incase some voodoo happens and my engine melts. Which is what will probably happen now haha!

• Like 1

Seems strange they wouldnt change the eninge number then... Maybe its VW's master plan to make the cars seem like they've not had replcement engines when it comes to the second hand market.

If they get a rep for needing new engines no ones gonna buy them are they...? Oh wait! We all did! :p

Who knows. Im just happy they'll do it under warrenty.