have i been fooled?

ok guys, ive supposedly had another engine fitted to my VRs (full engine i was told) recently but it seems to be drinking the oil as fast as before

so my question is, how can i tell ive they've actually fitted an engine, the paranoid part of me is wondering if they've just sat with my car and done nothing. i have no paperwork to suggest any works been carried out, nothing entered into the service book nada

i really find it hard to believe they can change an engine and i don't have to inform the DVLA, considering its still drinking oil i'm just a wee bit suspicious now.

will there be any tell tale signs as to me it looks the same, surely there's a number change on it somewhere

Put a request to Skoda UK for a copy of the Invoice for the Warranty Work. Listed Parts replaced etc.

Ask In writing and a Call to request this Information now.

Your vehicle and their Warranty.

Your cars residual value, so you need that information and the Service Manual Written up.

george

an email has been sent, lets see if they answer first.

ive drafted up a full complaint following the treatment received which i will be posting soon enough

ive just checked the oil again, just over 400 miles since it was topped up, oil temp at 80 c and normal engine temp, sat in the same place as always and left for just 2 minutes, nearly half way down the dipstick :( not an exact science i know but as good as i can do

If the engine block has been changed then the engine number will be different.

Whoever did the work is obliged to either notify DVLA themselves or tell you the new engine number so you can inform DVLA yourself.

The V5c will have the original number recorded.

I've no idea where the engine number on the engine is but it must be easy to find and to read the digits.

It is what we are being told.

That does not change that Skoda UK or the Dealership doing the work should be giving evidence of Engine or Block changes in case of future questions.

The Records held by Skoda and the Dealer will show the replacement date and anyone Stamping the Numbers can easily

just write it up..

(if on record they can just call it up on the screen and print it out or Email the information)

They can sign a Declaration on an Invoice and Service Record.

The Tech doing the Change is after all doing a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) where it is a new engine fitted,

road testing the car & the Oil is filled and new filter fitted at 000000 miles and needs a Fixed Service or Flexi service Filter and oil Change.

New Plugs and other service work is based on the engine age not the cars age from now on.

The car has a different requirement for Brake Fluid changes and stuff, 3 years and then 2 yearly..

The whole set up of the High Oil usage and Short Engine or Complete engine replacement is a Lottery in the UK.

They need to fit new Cats where required and this needs explained to the customer as to why not if they are not going to.

george

Mine had a complete engine back in October. So far 4000 miles on and its used about 1.5 litres. I hope this will get better but still nowhere what it was using before which was about a litre evey 1000. Just hope the MPG get better soon.

I will be marking mine up with UV pen from work when mine goes in for the new engine so I will be able to tell what is old/new to hopefully prevent anything like this happening!

This always works for me when car goes in for a service etc, and I have found most dealers don't do as much as they say!!

• Like 2

I'm sure they don't change the engine number, the new block or whatever has no number and you old number is transfered. I know it seems odd, but I'm sure this is the case.

I would disagree.

The engine number is engraved/stamped on the block as part of the manufacturing process and each block has a unique number.

Obviously to make it traceable in warranty or criminal circumstances.

If you need proof for your dealer, contact your local roads policing unit.

I would be speaking to SUK for clarification too.

Treat it as a hypothetical question. Ill be interested in their response.

This is the Engine Identification on the Engine. Not the VIN. (Vehicle Identification Number) which is not easy to see.

Even the fact that the Engine Type identification comes with the Grind Marks the way it comes from Skoda/VAG looks

suspicious to VOSA at a roadside check.

One VOSA Officer called the Police Officer right across to check the car out when i was stopped, untill another VOSA officer

pointed out that this was the way they were.

Rebuilt Engines from Blank Engine Blocks can have Engine Numbers Restamped but records need kept,

& the Old Block needs destroyed. Or proof of the Number being removed by an Engine Builder.

You can not have 2 engines around with the same VIN/Engine Numbers.

New Engines from a Factory should have new engine numbers and DVLA informed. IME.

george

My replacement engine was complete, i.e. total block and cylinder head assembly, but without any ancillary units (turbo, supercharger, etc), which were transferred across from the old engine. I saw the new engine in the crate before it was fitted. There was no engine number. The dealer was not sure about the process regarding the number so contacted SUK. It turns out that the old engine number will be retained for the new unit. A 'sticker' issued by Skoda/VAG after the old engine is returned, which carries the engine number will then be adhered to the engine. This will be done the next time my car visits the dealer for a service. The engine currently carries no identity!

Details of the engine change have been entered into the rear of the service book.

Agree with the above, i work with Traffic Officers and i will ask them today when i go on shift what the score is, but this sounds odd, there should be no engines out there without an engine number. The paper work side of things also sounds '' odd '', I am surprised that SUK came back with that solution, i would be speaking with my local VOSA officers and taking a trip into my local station (where traffic are based) and having another word there..... you are right to be concerned about this, especially with it using all that oil.... where could you go from here ? I am stunned that this ' vrs oil lottery ' has gone as far as it has.

'

Thing is, they could be providing anythig saying that it is a "new engine" if it has no numbers on it. For all you know it might be a unit which was replaced because it was using oil, some attempts at fixing it were made, engine number ground off, and then shipped out again pretending to be a brand new engine. It is simply not possible to release anything from any manufacturing oufit of any kind without an item bearing some kind of identification otherwise nobody would be aqble to trace it and it is wide open to fraud! I will ask my traffice cop friend the about it as well for that matter...

Casting get Blasted and look like new with a rebuilt/reburbished engine.

Very unlikely to be able to distinguish as previously loved or unloved.

It should look new if coming from Skoda/VAG. It should look like new coming from any good engine rebuilder.

http://www.idealengi...oda/engines.htm

Read 'Intro'

Best to ask 'Skoda' what was supplied and fitted,

if the say 'New' it should be 'New', not Refurbished or Reconditioned and looking as New..

george

well Skoda have been on the phone today, there looking into the invoice for me and also about the service book not being updated

still very vague info coming from them to say the least, ive already started car hunting as im that pished off with it now

just bought some more oil the the bloody thing, my dealers now sell shell helix ultra ag 5w-30 GM16095 and GM 16177 and although they assure me its the correct oil it has no mention of the vag specification thats always thrown down our necks, any1 used this oil??

Edited by the mad monk

A genuine exchange Base engine or Short engine comes to the dealer without an engine number. The dealer is expected to stamp the same number onto the new engine as the old unit. When the old unit is re manufactured the engine number is removed. If a complete new engine is supplied this comes with a new engine number, and the DVLA will need to be notified of new number.