EGR FAULT - IS THIS COMMON?

recently in my 2011 octavia 1.6L TDi, 57000 km. as i was driving it the glow plug light came on & was saying to go to workshop. it felt like there was no air in the car. when I got to the dealer they took it into the workshop to run a diognostic check. When they found out the fault he asked for €55 for the cost of it, if i knew he'd of charged me i wouldn't of brought it to them. He said it'd cost me €800 to get done. the invoice says its an EGR fault. is this common?

the car is only out of warranty since january of this year. the dealer nor VAG can do it as a warranty but they have gotten back to me after i was chasing them around to see if it could be done as part of a "good will" gesture. there has been progress, the dealer got back to me girlfriend and said i'd have to pay €400 + €55 refund. but when i got back to VAG to thank them and he asked how i was treated i told him i'd have to pay the €400 & the €55 given back to me. he was shocked & said that wasn't the amount they negotiated out. this is the 3rd week without my car as my girlfriend gets public transport to work and i'm currently unemployed and we are just about covering our bills and mortgage on our house.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain!

I can't say much about your problem since I have the older engine. Might be worth ringing round for different prices. Remember, any VAG garage should be happy to get the work so you don't have to stick to Skoda since there 'ain't many in Ireland. I would definitely get Skoda to tell you exactly what their good will contribution will be before going further.

Anyway, good luck.

Ouch!!!! Can't comment on the price or ease of replacing an EGR on a Skoda......but my last car (Ford Mondeo) was pretty starightforward - I had to do it twice throughout the 5 years I owned it. Think it cost me about £165 or so each time - about £200 plus £35 back for the old part once I'd swapped them. I'm not particularly handy, but even with basic tools I could do it in about 30 mins!

Is this a part you can swap out yourself?

I may be wrong, but isn't it in some really stupid place on the newer dervs and you have to take a driveshaft off to get to it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

+1

I recently replaced the EGR cooler on one of these and the book time was over 2 1/2 hours.

Well i can add to the list from a VW point of view..

today - my 1.6TDI (105) Mk6 Golf, 62k gentle miles, 4 months outside warranty - EGR failure - cost £990+VAT (part ca £500, 6hrs labour) - negotaited this down to £60 now , thank goodness !!

also in the last 3 months i found these reported over on Golf Mk6 section of vwaudiforum (not looked at audi/seat sections)..

Golf 1.6TDI - Nov 2010, 70k motorway miles - EGR failure - VW reduced cost as goodwill down to £160

Golf 1.6TDI B'motion - Dec 2009 - EGR fialure, covered by extended warranty

2009 Golf 16TDI - EGR failure (unknown miles)

Common failure ? - well my dealer has the parts in stock, so that tells me something !

Edited by percymon

I'll get my car back lunchtime today, from now on i'll be adding some 'fuel additive with egr cleaner built in every 5k miles.

If using only Shell and BP diesel still causes egr gumming up then a bit more additive can't be a bad thing.

I was recently speaking to the parts manager at my local Skoda dealer about the 1.6 diesel and asked his opinion of it. Two faults he mentioned that he is regularly seeing, especially on the Octavias which are being used as taxis, are a failure of the EGR valve & problems with the cooling system.

He did reiterate that these vehicles have covered mileages well in excess of the norm.

Certainly gave me food for thought when considering what engine to choose in the future.

FP.

Edited by flying pig

• 1 month later...

I had the EGR replaced on my 2010 1.6 TDI replaced two days ago. Apparently the EGR on this engine is all one component. The older engines - like the 1.9 Pd TDI - it wasn't necessary to change the complete part. The cooler section could be removed on it's own and replaced. It was easily accessible and was something like a two hour job. On the 1.6 the EGR is at the back of the engine block low down. It's a five hour job and the exhaust system has to taken off from the manifold back to the DPF. I looked into the engine bay when I got the car back and it looked like nothing had been done until eventually I spotted some new looking pipe work back down between the engine and bulkhead.

The service advisor told me they've had to replace several, and some on cars with low mileage. This dealership would not be breaking any sales records either. The price quoted for parts and labour was €944, but I was told in the next breath that Skoda were covering full cost of the part and half the labour - as a goodwill gesture. I'm glad now I'd a full service history with them. But I think the fact that so many are failing is a major factor in their attitude. Plus they're on a drive to increase market share and customer satisfaction. I can't fault the dealers response. The MIL came on Sunday evening, I had the car in to them first thing Monday morning and back Tuesday midday. They had got onto Skoda first so when they rang me I got the bad news and the good news in one go. No arguing or haggling. I also knew in advance what the problem was, as I have VCDS. What I didn't know was that these engines are different from the older ones and much more expensive to repair when the EGR goes kaput. When I searched Sunday evening to see roughly how much it would cost the prices I saw must have referred to the 1.9L engine.

I'm a small bit worried about the turbo and want to get it checked for peace of mind if nothing else. I'm no expert with VCDS so I'll have to do some study first. The car will be back in for it's 135k service in a few weeks anyway.

This is a VERY common fault.

I have a 2010 L&K DSG. I experinced the problem a number of months ago, but when the car was at the dealerships they could not get the fault to completely repeat (the 3rd party warranty company were asking for a printed report before they would authorise the work). The car at that point was off the road for TEN days. At that point when VAG assist came out, he said that this was the second one that week, and if it was the old PD engine he could do it at the roadside but with the new engine it was a huge job.

The second time this (as the EGR valve was not changed the first time as the fault cleared!!) when VAG assist came out (different part of the country) it was his second that week!!!

This time Skoda got the fault code and so my warranty company paid out some of the bill. I argued with SKoda, and they paid the rest.

without a shadow of a doubt, this is a common fault across the VAG group.

Good luck.

Common fault across most brands, not just VAG.

At one time Vauxhall were highly susceptible, then you hear horror stories about Ford etc etc.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that hot sooty exhaust fumes meeting cooler air that potentially has some oil content from breathers or turbos is a recipe for disaster as far as any moving parts are concerned.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

I had my EGR cooler and valve replaced today under warranty.  I drive a 2011 1.6 TDI DPF Octavia and have only covered 30,000 miles.  I drive 300 motorway miles every week so my driving habits can't be to blame.  I don't know what the cost would have been but I was told it was a 6 hour job so I'd assume that the labour would cost £600 alone.  This is my 3rd TDI Octavia but the first time I've had this fault.  It makes me nervous about buying another when the time comes, to be honest.  I feel the pain for anyone who has had this happen out of warranty.

Are these failing open or closed?

Egr can be mapped out as a preemptive measure, the downside is greater warmup time. The upside is slightly better economy.

Edited by Kiwibacon
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1.6 TDI on a '59 Plate. It's covered 47,000 miles and gas a FSH with the dealer. Mine is back at the dealers for the 2nd time in a fortnight with Engine flat spot, stalling, Glow Plug & Engine Amber warning Light display problem. It is another faulty EGR. They tried to get some goodwill from Skodawho at first refused and I was quoted just shy of £1,000 but they then quoted £800 with help from the dealer. Managed to negotiate it down to just under £700 via Skoda UK Customer Care. Still ridiculously expensive and very much feelthat these EGR's are clearly faulty and should not fail at thus mileage. I wiI will not be buying another Diesel and doubt I will buy another Skoda !

• Like 1

common EGR failure:

worn vacuum hoses

**** (from exhaust gases and poor full) in EGR

new EGR (for Fabia 1.4TDi 59kW 2007) 55€ and 30min of work - unsure about price of faulty EGR relay.

VCDS cost about 50€ and everybody has got laptot these days - EGR test is simple for vacuum leaks.

At the moment my Fabia has got almost 300k km and engine light is always on - some Skoda old school bug. It is possible to remove only by remapping EGR map in ECU. But it doesn't causes any problems.

Of course new EGR housing may cost more but it seems to me too high price what you say guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,  I'm going to jump in later here.  I'm searching for a How-To Clean EGR for Fabia/Roomster,  but not finding anything. This is the closest I've found so far on  Briskoda.net .

I've also got a VW T5 van,  and have seen the topic of EGR blocking, come up regularly.  Lots of help on those forums.

It seems people take one of two approaches:-
1) blank off the EGR, in the belief that it steals energy from the engine/turbo and makes the engine less fuel efficient,

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59846

2) clean the gunk out every 100,000miles.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=297816&highlight=clean+valve

I found a YouTube that shows how easy it is to clean on a  Renault Clio.

I'd love to find similar for the Skoda Fabia/Roomster 1.9 PD diesel engine.

Onwards, and upwards,

Kind regards,  w_woking

Hi,  I'm going to jump in later here.  I'm searching for a How-To Clean EGR for Fabia/Roomster,  but not finding anything. This is the closest I've found so far on  Briskoda.net .

I've also got a VW T5 van,  and have seen the topic of EGR blocking, come up regularly.  Lots of help on those forums.

It seems people take one of two approaches:-

1) blank off the EGR, in the belief that it steals energy from the engine/turbo and makes the engine less fuel efficient,

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59846

2) clean the gunk out every 100,000miles.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=297816&highlight=clean+valve

I found a YouTube that shows how easy it is to clean on a  Renault Clio.

I'd love to find similar for the Skoda Fabia/Roomster 1.9 PD diesel engine.

Onwards, and upwards,

Kind regards,  w_woking

EGR does matter only in low revs. I've switched off EGR by SW. Idle revs consumption arose but low revs performance increased.

Blocking EGR doesn't work on new cars. You've to switch it off by re-programing ECU.

You can switch officially EGR and it is 80% time off. If you've decent fuel, you don't need to clean it.

Czech fuels rubbish...20k km, EGR is like a dump. British, Austrian fuel no problem 100k km and still clean. It is all about fuels and additives.

• 2 months later...

Good luck to anyone looking for a goodwill gesture towards replacement egr valve I have a octavia estate which I brought new it is 3 yrs old now 91000 miles serviced religiously a nice £500 /600 bill heading my way for something that is apparently a common fault the nice people at trust skoda offered me £50 off if they do the job .

5 year old , at the end of Sept 2015,  80,000 mile 1.6 TDI, with a Skoda UK warranty extended to 5 years .

EGR replaced, along with a DPF sensor, at a cost of £795.67 (incl VAT)

Paid by Skoda without a quibble.

A very common VAG problem, & easily mapped out, by a Ballymena firm recommended by my local Indy, then afterwards he, my Indy mechanically blocks it off.

I have no idea re costs for this work though.

This will be my "go-to" next time outside of warranty.

No more issues.

Marcus

And it all usually starts with MAF sensor. Unfortunately, in age of idiots where most garages don't repair but replace...unable to do basic troubleshooting/diagnostics...customers pay for new EGR, throttle...even turbo...sadly nothing changes...customers still have dashboard full of fancy lights ;-)

What is most funny...it is 10mins of work, sometimes 100€ for new MAF sensor.