Fitting AUX kit to Fabia 54 plate - Symphony Head Unit

I'm driving my 54 plate Skoda Fabia to Mongolia with 3 friends this summer as part of the Mongol Rally (raising money for Macmillan). We decided we'd be needing some tunes to keep us going so have fitted a AUX kit, I've seen a fair few posts on here asking how to do this so took some pictures as we fitted ours.

We picked up the Connects2 CTVSKX001 AUX interface for around £30, a female 3.5mm Jack Coupler, an Aux cable to plug in the Mp3 player and the removal keys for the radio all for around £1 each and all from EBay.

We took the radio and the two unused buttons above the radio out and put the Connects2 unit in the dash above the radio (it took a bit of wiggling to get it to fit but it's pretty snug once in). You can see where it is located in the pictures below. You could put a hole in the draw underneath the radio to hide the wire which you plug into your mp3 player or, as we did, can feed it out of one of the unused buttons on the dash.

med_gallery_102525_886_118288.jpgmed_gallery_102525_886_77002.jpg

We then grounded the Connects2 on the stereo with some electrical tape and plugged the stereo back in to test (have your 4 digit security code ready as you will probably be required to enter it).

med_gallery_102525_886_439.jpgmed_gallery_102525_886_298848.jpg

Everything was working fine. The stereo now thinks that your mp3 player (or whatever you plug into the aux out) is a CD changer and will play when you select "CD" on the radio.

We wanted to make things a little neater though so I drilled a hole in the insert from the dash and put a female jack coupler in there. I would reccomend using a glue gun to keep it looking neat but I felt super glue was best for me since we're going to be driving through 40+degree deserts on our trip and I wanted it to hold with the heat.

sml_gallery_102525_886_184128.jpgmed_gallery_102525_886_17672.jpgmed_gallery_102525_886_121008.jpg

The finished product. The camera flash has made it look a lot rougher than the finish actually is. It looks pretty nice on the dash and works a treat. It would probably be neater to drill through to the drawer below the radio but this works better for us as we may have a phone mounted and will probably be using the drawer to store other things.

med_gallery_102525_886_417006.jpg

Let me know if this was/wasn't useful or if you have any questions/suggestions I hope this is useful to someone, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome :D

If you're interest in our trip 10,000 miles from the UK to mongolia in our fabia check out www.genghis-style.com or follow us one facebook.

Edited by Genghis Style
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...